Sony budget earphone discussion thread (MH750, MH755, MH1C, EX300, etc)
May 28, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #211 of 2,545
k I just got the mh755 in, and the hype is real, althought he mids a tad recessed,and the bass is a bit boosted but not overlyflabby. dont bother buying kz junk, just these and a cable. I like my music neutral. I do wish these had a little better mids in the lowermid region but im still happy for the price ofcourse. Thx 4 the reco.

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #212 of 2,545
Spent some time today working on a couple of MH755s.

I did this one for a friend. It's got a silver plated TRN cable, with foam mod, chin slider, and channel indicators. This one was a pain and took 3xs longer than I planned. The cable was so thick I had to make my own strain reliefs. It was worth the time spent though, as it sounds soooo clean and amazing. I don't know if it sounds so good because it was a particularly 'good one' from the factory, or if it's due to the larger cable. But man it sounds good. I even transferred the original Sony hologram tag to the new cable.

1.jpg

I did this one for myself - foam mod, mmcx jacks, and pure sterling silver internal wires (not just plated copper) between the driver and the mmcx jack. I got the sterling silver wire from a friend who owns a fine jewelry store, so it's not some fake 'silver' wire from Aliexpress.

2.jpg

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #213 of 2,545
Spent some time today working on a couple of MH755s.

I did this one for a friend. It's got a silver plated TRN cable, with foam mod, chin slider, and channel indicators. This one was a pain and took 3xs longer than I planned. The cable was so thick I had to make my own strain reliefs. It was worth the time spent though, as it sounds soooo clean and amazing. I don't know if it sounds so good because it was a particularly 'good one' from the factory, or if it's due to the larger cable. But man it sounds good. I even transferred the original Sony hologram tag to the new cable.

I did this one for myself - foam mod, mmcx jacks, and pure sterling silver internal wires (not just plated copper) between the driver and the mmcx jack. I got the sterling silver wire from a friend who owns a fine jewelry store, so it's not some fake 'silver' wire from Aliexpress.

And how does Yours sound compared to the one that took long time?

May 31, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #214 of 2,545
And how does Yours sound compared to the one that took long time?

Close, but the mmcx one is not quite as good. It's like a 5% difference.

I did notice a very minor difference in the drivers. And no, one was not fake. The drivers were 99% totally identical from a visual standpoint (and both genuine).

The only visual difference I could tell was the placement of the black mark that indicates ground:

Markings.jpg
(above original photo is HungryPanda's)

I'm not saying the mark has anything to do with the difference though. The marks could have literally just been how 1 worker on the assembly line liked to mark their drivers with a Sharpie vs the next worker's. Or it could be a different production run of drivers, and the one that sounds slightly better was a fresh tube of glue or a fresh roll of voice coil wire or something. Or the difference could just be the thicker TRN silver wire being more conductive than the tiny mmcx jack+KZ cable. Or it could be the pure sterling silver wire making it sound different. Who knows.

If I was going to be 100% scientific about it, I would desolder them and swap the drivers, so I could hear the 'good pair' with the mmcx jack and the 'almost as good' pair with the TRN cable. But I'm not going to go to all that work, after spending hours and hours as it is.

Unfortunately I have few 755, and the Sony tags and baggies are mixed up. So I can't see if the production dates are different between the 2 above ones. By that I mean I DO have some from different production runs. I just don't know which 755 goes with which exact tag. I wish I did, because then I would see if the "36th week of 2014" one is the better sounding one vs the "32nd week of 2013" for example.

I do have 1 more TRN silver wire, and I will probably recable another pair with the TRN cable and see how it sounds.

Also, be aware that both of them sound awesome. It's just that the TRN recabled one above sounds juuust a very little bit better.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #215 of 2,545
Or it could be the pure sterling silver wire making it sound different. Who knows.

Ok, this has been bothering me, so I went ahead and swapped out the sterling silver wire and installed some litz high purity copper cable instead. They now sound the same as the recabled one.

So I guess pure silver wire isn’t better, and good old copper is the best. Good to know!

Jun 1, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #217 of 2,545
link to the litz?

This link only works on the mobile app.

US $17.91 10% Off | 0.02'' (0.4mm) Copper Silver Plated Wire Tinned Litz Wire Cable for IEM Earphones Hearing Aids

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/owJdTxw

FAF2818F-A031-4F13-A206-6A5EED1307E9.png

If the link doesn’t work for you, you can find it by searching for litz on Soundlink’s Aliexpress store. That’s also where I get all of my Knowles drivers at. They sell good stuff.

You get 10 meters of wire, which is enough for making and repairing a lifetime supply of IEMs! The pieces I used for the MH755 were only about 0.5” long.

Also, one money saving trick is not to order 2 colors, which would be $40 :frowning2:

I bought red only, and use a black sharpie to mark the gnd wire when I’m working on an IEM. This way, I know which wire is what, but I only had to invest in 1 10 meter piece.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #219 of 2,545
This link only works on the mobile app.

US $17.91 10% Off | 0.02'' (0.4mm) Copper Silver Plated Wire Tinned Litz Wire Cable for IEM Earphones Hearing Aids

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/owJdTxw

If the link doesn’t work for you, you can find it by searching for litz on Soundlink’s Aliexpress store. That’s also where I get all of my Knowles drivers at. They sell good stuff.

You get 10 meters of wire, which is enough for making and repairing a lifetime supply of IEMs! The pieces I used for the MH755 were only about 0.5” long.

Also, one money saving trick is not to order 2 colors, which would be $40 :frowning2:

I bought red only, and use a black sharpie to mark the gnd wire when I’m working on an IEM. This way, I know which wire is what, but I only had to invest in 1 10 meter piece.
Can You post pic of Your MH755 using that wire for cable? Or did You use it only between mmcx and driver connection?

From the moment I got my Fidelio X1 custom cable and driver connections done, I will use only high strand count copper Litz wire for all kind of connections! It really makes a difference imho as some IEM/HP driver connection cables are SO THIN that first picture in my mind is bottleneck!

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #221 of 2,545
Oh, ok. I hoped he did his own braided cable with that wire :p

Jun 1, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #222 of 2,545
Can You post pic of Your MH755 using that wire for cable? Or did You use it only between mmcx and driver connection?

From the moment I got my Fidelio X1 custom cable and driver connections done, I will use only high strand count copper Litz wire for all kind of connections! It really makes a difference imho as some IEM/HP driver connection cables are SO THIN that first picture in my mind is bottleneck!

The wire is just between the driver and mmcx (everything is inside the shell).

For DIY cables I use old computer cables. High end mil-spec cables for external scsi drives and other peripherals, kilobuck lab grade HP engineering equipment, high end VGA cables, IBM mainframe communication cables, stranded CAT5E patch cables, etc. It’s usually very high grade cable, pure copper or true silver plated copper. I use vintage cables (1995-2000) because I have loads of it from my IT career, it is usually certified to kHz audio and even multi-GHz frequencies, and also because the new stuff is low grade junk (often copper plated aluminum wire, not mil-spec, imported, low grade impure copper, etc).

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #223 of 2,545
link to the litz?

I also forgot to mention, I found out that the stock MH755 wire is surprisingly good quality wire. I used to throw out the ‘useless’ stock MH755 cables when I would recable a pair of MH755. Then I took the cable apart and found out the conductors are great for building CIEMs and IEMs (ie for connecting between drivers and jacks, or for wiring multiple drivers together).

They would be a good/free alternative to the litz wire I posted above. You just have to remove the conductors from the MH755 stock white cable insulation, but the conductors slide out very easily.

2892CC1E-EE3B-4342-9554-871BBB036F37.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back