Sony budget earphone discussion thread (MH750, MH755, MH1C, EX300, etc)
Oct 8, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #751 of 2,545
some units have more bass and narrower sound compared to other units, this can be solved by replacing a silver cable, since the cable knot and the thickness of the foam can make considerable changes to the sound

Oct 8, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #752 of 2,545
I suspect that the recabling process ended up blocking the air vents that are present at the base and end of the strain relief. I just got mine a few days ago and am experimenting with how the measurements change when blocking different parts. I still need to run more tests to be sure, but so far the top port has the biggest effect on bass (-3dB at 30Hz), as long as one other location is blocked too. Of course cable impedance may play a role as well, though I don't think it will be big unless your replacement cable is a weird high-impedance one.
I suspect it is because of the knot of the cable and the impedance, that explains why some people complain about the very high bass, while my unit with silver cable the bass is very flat (almost like tin t2) but it makes the sound more detailed and consistent

Oct 8, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #753 of 2,545
For a bit lower bass, try a -3db cut at 100hz with a Q or bandwidth of 1. If that takes too much midbass out lower the Q to .7 or so.

For vocal clarity especially female, try a 3db boots to start at about 3k Q of 1. Personally I do not think the 755 need a boost there, but this may vary depending on tips.

For top end like cymbals, high synths and harmonic overtones try a 3db boost at 8k same Q of about 1 to start, you can raise the Q number to get a more broad boost of highs.

Good luck.
Thanks. I set the dB a little difference only 2db instead of 3. It's subtle but I quite like it. Especially the 3k and 8k part . I use Acoustune tips BTW.

Oct 8, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #754 of 2,545
Do you own a multimeter? Might be from the latest batch of copies that's visually hard to distinguish from originals.

I have not seen fake white ones. Only loads of fake black ones.

What he posted is a genuine one. The bass difference is not uncommon with the genuine Sonys. Some have a little bit less bass than others, and some have a little bit more bass than others.

Oct 9, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #755 of 2,545
Some have a little bit less bass than others, and some have a little bit more bass than others.
Well if it's >10dB at 50Hz just a little bit, shame they didn't tweak it somewhere in the middle :) But for that money, there's nothing to deal with!

Oct 9, 2019 at 3:11 AM Post #756 of 2,545
Well if it's >10dB at 50Hz just a little bit, shame they didn't tweak it somewhere in the middle :) But for that money, there's nothing to deal with!

Sorry if this has already been answered but is there any chance they are out of phase? I have several pairs and one, while not out of phase, just did not sound right. I messaged the seller and they sent a replacement immediately without asking me to return the other.

Oct 9, 2019 at 4:39 AM Post #757 of 2,545

Welcome to the world of mass production :wink:

In theory, every pair should match the original set of ‘golden ears’ master pair. But all it takes is an extra drop of glue here, plus a fraction of a millimeter gap in the shell there, plus a slightly longer or shorter foam in the nozzle, and boom there’s your sonic variation.

The MH755 isn’t exactly a flagship model, so it isn’t (and can’t be) produced with the same care as the MDR-EX1000 for instance.

The MH755 was originally a “free” earphone, included with a Bluetooth adapter.

Luckily, it is this lucky coincidence that allows us to enjoy the MH755 at such a cheap price. So we can’t be too picky when there are slight variations between individual pairs.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #758 of 2,545
No, they are definitely not out of phase. The problem is not that they sounds badly, they just miss a sub bass that everyone expect from MH75x and then some by mistake referred their as fake, even though it may be genuine. Someone in this threat tryied to soften the bass with sealing everthing and the manufacturer did it for us now, but they probably exaggerated it a little and gave them a bit of live. Never mind, for me it's definitely worth to recabling themt!

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #759 of 2,545
No, they are definitely not out of phase. The problem is not that they sounds badly, they just miss a sub bass that everyone expect from MH75x. Someone in this threat trying to soften the bass with sealing everthing and the manufacturer did it for us now, but they probably exaggerated it a little and gave them a bit of live. Never mind, it's definitely worth to recabling it!

Maybe while recabling you will find a bit of glue or something that needs cleaning up a bit.

Oct 9, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #760 of 2,545
No, they are definitely not out of phase. The problem is not that they sounds badly, they just miss a sub bass that everyone expect from MH75x and then some by mistake referred their as fake, even though it may be genuine. Someone in this threat tryied to soften the bass with sealing everthing and the manufacturer did it for us now, but they probably exaggerated it a little and gave them a bit of live.
Did you run a sine sweep through them ?
https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

... scroll down to "Driver Matching" and give it a shot or two. That's a quick and easy way to check for channel (im-)balance - if there's an isolated QC issue, more often than not it only affects one earpiece.

Never mind, for me it's definitely worth to recabling themt!
To me the 755 are well worth the couple minutes and € to recable them as well, MMCX or not. Over the years I wasted ...loads of money on IEMs and cans that don't sound nearly as natural and coherent or perform in the same tonal league but cost me almost 100 times as much.

Oct 9, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #761 of 2,545
I bought a pair of MH755's recently and I have to say I'm not experiencing much in terms of bass or sub-bass. The sound is definitely less 'weighty' than my KZ ATE's. Given that people talk about the bass from these items as something special, I wonder if I somehow have a faulty pair (they don't appear to be fakes, from a quick check of the drivers).

As it happens, so cheap are these that I've ordered another pair, from a different (reputedly reliable) source, which I hope will be better. The large stock tips seem to fit me well and provide a decent seal, but maybe I am losing some bass there? I want to try foam tips to see if that helps, but the ones I have (Inairs and New Bee) keep sliding off the nozzle and staying behind in my ear. Are there any recommendable inexpensive foam tips which fit these nozzles well?

Oct 9, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #762 of 2,545
I bought a pair of MH755's recently and I have to say I'm not experiencing much in terms of bass or sub-bass. The sound is definitely less 'weighty' than my KZ ATE's. Given that people talk about the bass from these items as something special, I wonder if I somehow have a faulty pair (they don't appear to be fakes, from a quick check of the drivers).

As it happens, so cheap are these that I've ordered another pair, from a different (reputedly reliable) source, which I hope will be better. The large stock tips seem to fit me well and provide a decent seal, but maybe I am losing some bass there? I want to try foam tips to see if that helps, but the ones I have (Inairs and New Bee) keep sliding off the nozzle and staying behind in my ear. Are there any recommendable inexpensive foam tips which fit these nozzles well?
They aren't that bassy overall, I think a lot of IEMs are are too thin sounding and people want to compare and contrast with previous gear. Did you give the stock medium tips a chance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back