Sony budget earphone discussion thread (MH750, MH755, MH1C, EX300, etc)
Sep 10, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #661 of 2,545
For the people putting the MH755 driver into a KZ ZS3-4 shell, how are you guys doing it?

The easiest way I can think of would be just placing the MH755's shell with the nozzle part inside the ZS3's shell and attaching a PVC tube in MH755's nozzle to the ZS3's nozzle output and then add the tuning foam. But tbh I think that method it'd sound really off.

The hardest way would be taking the driver off from its shell and modeling some adapter and then 3D printing something similar to the not that good qkz vk3 or this IEM:

1.jpg 2.png

Since some people already modded it, I'd appreciate any help.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #663 of 2,545
What are your guys impressions of the Sony MH1C as no one really talks about them?

Like comfort, sound, build quality, chance of it being fake etc?

They have their own thread so probably people talk about them in there. I had a pair for a little while but hated the cable too much to keep them.

Sep 10, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #665 of 2,545
They have their own thread so probably people talk about them in there. I had a pair for a little while but hated the cable too much to keep them.

Yeah, I hate noodle cables with a passion

Sep 10, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #666 of 2,545
For the people putting the MH755 driver into a KZ ZS3-4 shell, how are you doing it?

The easiest way I can think of would be just placing the MH755's shell with the nozzle part inside the ZS3's shell and attaching a PVC tube in MH755's nozzle to the ZS3's nozzle output and then add the tuning foam. But tbh I think that method it'd sound really off.

The hardest way would be taking the driver off from its shell and modeling some adapter and then 3D printing something similar to the not that good qkz vk3 or this IEM:

Since some people already modded it, I'd appreciate any help.

What’s the size of the stock VK3 driver? Since it’s a turd driver, I say just pry out the stock VK3 driver and glue in the MH755 one.

If the MH755 driver is a little smaller diameter, I’ve had good luck using an o-ring to make up the difference. It centers the driver, adds some shock resistance, and seals it so no glue is even needed!

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #667 of 2,545
What’s the size of the stock VK3 driver? Since it’s a turd driver, I say just pry out the stock VK3 driver and glue in the MH755 one.

If the MH755 driver is a little smaller diameter, I’ve had good luck using an o-ring to make up the difference. It centers the driver, adds some shock resistance, and seals it so no glue is even needed!

That's a good idea! But I don't own the VK3 just some ZS3 pairs right now so I would try to mimic the driver's housing design using some 3D prototype instead. I think I read some pages ago you're planning to swap the ZS3E drivers, do you have something in mind?

But... tbf I think I'd only improve isolation with this mod and I don't know if it's worth the effort since the isolation is actually pretty good with hybrid tips. Like you guys say... if it ain't broke don't fix it, haha.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #668 of 2,545
What are your guys impressions of the Sony MH1C as no one really talks about them?

Like comfort, sound, build quality, chance of it being fake etc?

Comfort is ok. The housing is very small which is nice but the flat cable can be abit uncomfortable even when worn over the ears(which is required to get rid of terrible microphonics) because the mic and controls are hanging on the back part of the left ear which causes some discomfort over time. The cable can be taped up in a way to make the cable more symmetrical for left and right but its still annoying being flat and springy. Recabling the mh1 is much more difficult than the mh755 and the result is not as clean as the mh755 can become.

The build quality is nice though, the housing is metal and feels sturdy. The cable seems to be quite resistant and the plug is 90 degrees and quite shallow, so good when having the source in your pocket walking around. The included eartips are for me the best eartips I've ever used, they are very good at staying in your ears without slipping out.

No fakes for the mh1c or mh1 but there is noticeable unit variation. I have 2 mh1, 6 mh1c and they all have slightly different frequency response. From my units the mh1 generally have abit more air compared to the mh1c. I prefer the sound of the mh1 but the mh1c doesnt have the annoying problem with the trrs plug in incorrect order and the paper filter seems better at not getting clogged up when moisture gets built up on the filter. Important to keep the paper filters in the nozzle dry as only having wet earwax, or living in a humid climate, over time will cause the volume, tone and left/right balance to get affected. I keep mine in an airtight container with some silica gel and that works great.

For sound they have boosted sub-bass and somewhat boosted midbass, more than mh755 in the midbass. Otherwise quite natural/neutral-warm sounding with a non offensive treble but still detailed enough. Not the same upper midrange emphasis that the mh755 have but more neutral mids. Pretty good imaging and average soundstage for an iem.

If you can live with all the mentioned compromises they are very cheap on ebay so not a huge investment to give a try. For the price the sound quality is amazing.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #669 of 2,545
Yeah, I hate noodle cables with a passion

That was not the problem for me... it was the fact that it is a J cable and the mic hangs in a weird position. I kind of like noodle cables.

a800.jpg

Sep 11, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #670 of 2,545
That was not the problem for me... it was the fact that it is a J cable and the mic hangs in a weird position. I kind of like noodle cables.

Noodle cables aside, nice Onkyo headphone you have there!

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #671 of 2,545
Hey, guys, thanks for bringing the Sony MH755 to my attention. I just got a pair earlier today and they really do sound fantastic. Especially considering the insanely low price. They are surprisingly smooth, natural, consistent, non-fatiguing and fairly detailed. They have some qualities in common with the MH1, which is another Sony set I really love the sound of, but like most of you I really don't like the ergonomics of the cable. It's heavy, asymmetrical, has fairly strong microphonics, and I don't like having to use a CTIA to OMTP adapter all the time. Obviously the cable on the MH755 isn't that great either, but I'm going to recable them tonight. I'll share some photos when I'm done.

Sep 13, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #672 of 2,545
In all of the decades that me and my family have owned Sony products...the fit-and-finish has always been hit-or-miss, but the constant quality has always been there. Media formats come-and-go, yet we keep on buying Sony products because of the almost-promised high building standards. I somewhat feel like the MH755 is Sony’s way of saying, “ Thanks for putting up with our designer’s and marketer’s b***s***. Here is our anniversary gift to you, our loyal customers.” Why? “It’s a Sony.” :)

Sep 14, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #674 of 2,545
I have always liked Sony products but at last they are moving away from that horrible wm port
Same, kinda wish all of the refurb Sony A25s from aliexpress was microusb instead of the vitaconnector though. Would've gone with it instead of the FiiO M3K. At least the m3k has rockbox lol.

On another note, the mh755 has completely displaced all of my current iems. I love how crisp the midbass and instrumentals are on these $3 headphones. Gonna stock up on 2 more before china gets flooded with more fakes lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back