Sony budget earphone discussion thread (MH750, MH755, MH1C, EX300, etc)
Sep 17, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #691 of 2,541
Hi y'all, after a week from ordering the shell and mmcx connectors, I finally received the parts and reshell the MH-755, see below along with the recabled MH-755.
8ViqFrM.jpg

From this, the reshell MH-755 is almost the polar opposite from the original MH-755. A little bit more held back in term of sound(original is more...much more forward), the bass is tone down a lot more but there is still sub-bass underneath. The soundstage is wider(?) in width, might due to the longer nozzle length and size.

A word of advice to anyone who want to try reshelling, use the original black filter. The treble without the black filter is ear-bleedingly sharp as Slater said before and I wholeheartedly confirm:
The MH755 treble can be kinda harsh. That’s why Sony put the foam in the nozzle and also used that black nozzle mesh.

So you may want to try that on the new shell if it’s too hot for you. If the black nozzle mesh from the Sony is too small for the stainless mesh that comes with the metal shell, just stick it on top of the stainless mesh like a sandwich.

Overall, the bass is toned down, leaning toward mid and highs. More laid back compared to the original. I need to bump up volume a few notches to match the volume of the original MH-755.

I'll leave the link to the image gallery of the process if anyone is interested: https://imgur.com/a/KSLg6Yn

Sep 17, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #692 of 2,541
Recommendations for replacement earbuds from the original?

I don't mind if the sound changes a little bit, they're my beater/daily drivers so comfort is the top priority

Sep 17, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #693 of 2,541

I don't mind if the sound changes a little bit, they're my beater/daily drivers so comfort is the top priority

The original tips not fitting properly or too stiff? Maybe you can try Spinfit?

Sep 17, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #694 of 2,541
The original tips not fitting properly or too stiff? Maybe you can try Spinfit?

they fit decently well but i'm not as well versed in IEMs and what's out there, so if I can improve upon it from stock i'm open to it! Thanks, i'll look into spinfit

Sep 17, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #695 of 2,541
they fit decently well but i'm not as well versed in IEMs and what's out there, so if I can improve upon it from stock i'm open to it! Thanks, i'll look into spinfit
Spinfit might be a little finicky to fit, but might seal better. I also have a pair of Epro Horn-shape tips for tip rolling. Or you can use foam tips, squeeze and fit, good for passive noise isolation; but again, quite finicky to use.

Sep 17, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #696 of 2,541

I found the KZ starline tips (the stock tips that come with most KZ IEMs) fit me well for the MH755. It can be gotten at ebay for a few cents a piece too.

Sep 18, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #697 of 2,541

Tip rolling is always recommended on any earphone, but I will say that the stock MH755 tips are excellent. There are even people that have bought the MH755 specifically for the tips!

Just something to keep in mind :)

Sep 19, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #699 of 2,541
So first post here dedicated to the MH750. I actually ordered 2 MH755 (1 on ebay, 1 on a local shopping site in Singapore), and some DIY cables to go along with them. But yesterday morning while digging around for some stuff at home, I came across an MH750 that I didn't even remember I kept from some Sony phone I had in the past. Wanted to be sure, took the shell off, and sure enough, the 1/5 mesh and the 2 extra solder points at the 3 and 6 o'clock position (been reading the thread, and Slater's posts were extremely helpful).

I'm still relatively new to this scene and just dipping my toes into some more budget IEMs, so apologies in advanced if I mess anything up. In terms of IEMs, I currently have the ZSN Pro, ZS10 Pro, ZSX, Tin T2, and recently got the Vido too. Not exactly IEMs, but have been using the Samson SR850 for a while too (mostly home use).

xMOuF19.jpg

Anyway, back on topic, the MH750, didn't blow my mind at first. First of all, I'm not much of a bass head. So already the bass was a little over the top for my liking. Having been using the Tin T2 quite a bit, the mids on the MH750 sounded a bit recessed to me (maybe being overpowered by the bass a little?). The highs were little shouty for my liking too. But other than that, I thought it sounded pretty good. The audio sounded clean, and had nice details to it. Is this what you guys call "resolution"? Still trying to learn how to properly describe the sound.

After playing around with it for a day, I changed the tips to foam, which got the treble down to a level that I was happy with. It didn't help with the bass obviously, so started playing around with EQ settings in Poweramp. Decreased the lower frequencies, pushed the mids a little forward, and bam. Now I'm enjoying these more than the KZs. Can't quite put my finger on it, but it just sounds more pleasant, and not fatiguing at all. The details are not as crisp as the ZSX for sure, but it's not bad either, and it's sound a lot more natural. I still kinda dig the Tin T2 because they really make vocals sing for me, but the thing is it's not as amazing in all genres. Some genres just sounds better with a bit of thump to it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not sure if i'm making sense here but in short, I'm really enjoying these now, and eagerly awaiting the MH755s (hopefully legit) and DIY cables. It will be my first time using a solder in a really really long time, so fingers crossed. Anyway, just want to thank all the helpful folks in here providing a lot of really helpful information about the MH750/755. Cheers!

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #700 of 2,541
Has anyone found a comply like tip that fits the mh755 correctly? I tried a TS-400 and it slides right off the nozzle. Is the TS-500 smaller in diameter? I read the 400 is 5mm and the 500 is 4.5mm but Comply site shows the 500 to look larger than the 400.

for now a pair of 64 Audio foam tips work, but need more cheap tips.

Sep 21, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #701 of 2,541
Has anyone found a comply like tip that fits the mh755 correctly? I tried a TS-400 and it slides right off the nozzle. Is the TS-500 smaller in diameter? I read the 400 is 5mm and the 500 is 4.5mm but Comply site shows the 500 to look larger than the 400.

for now a pair of 64 Audio foam tips work, but need more cheap tips.

T200 or T300.

For future reference, the aliexpress foam tips bore sizes.

Listed to fit:
3.0+ mm = T100
4.5+ mm = T200
4.0+ mm = T300
4.9+ mm = T400/500

Actual bore size:
2.7mm = T100
4.3mm = T200
3.6mm = T300
4.6mm = T400/500

Left to right: T100, T200, T300 & T400/500.

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #703 of 2,541
Thanks for the info. Do these sizes also correspond to actual Comply products as well?

And are these Ali Express models sold anywhere on ebay? I don't have an Ali account.

thanks

I can't say for sure, as I never bought any comply tips to compare. They should be similar in sizing.

I think you can find them under various names on ebay. The kz and trn foams are the same, just a little more $.

Sep 21, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #704 of 2,541
I can't say for sure, as I never bought any comply tips to compare. They should be similar in sizing.

I think you can find them under various names on ebay. The kz and trn foams are the same, just a little more $.

Some tips on ebay using same charts are about $4 a pr. I think I have figured out that the t-200 size is probably best as Comply lists Sony as one of the major brands that one fits. And at $5 pr in a 3 pack not too much more than the knockoffs.

thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back