Sony/B&W/HTC/AKG/Sennheiser/MISC Thread
Mar 25, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #481 of 1,526

Cool, thanks.

We'll see what he has to say once the full review is posted. 

I was SUPER impressed by the Lola when I tried it out. Perhaps if I had one of akg fanboy's MAGIC 10-band custom EQs for it I would've liked it as much as the K553s I'd compared them to at the time? lol But either way, right now, I only really like AKG & Blue for closed-back headphones. Nothing else that I've tried or read about seems to really compare on all levels.........sound, comfort, looks, etc to me. 

I'm shure the mr speakers AEON is also a worthy headphone that costs the same as the blue ella, however I doubt you will buy it as you still don't really want to spend $700 on the ella

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #482 of 1,526

What is the story with those battery sizes? Please tell me that's a f'ing joke akg. 3000 mAh for a 5.8" screen (ok yeah, a 5.5" length body, but still!)?!!!!! And 3500 for the S8+?!!! Are they really thinking the 835 is gonna be SO efficient as to make up for THAT much of a difference?! lol My HTC 10 has a 3000 mAh and it's 5.2" and it's battery life is good at best!!! LOL 

you got to realize that the aspect ratio has changed, so the amount of space is not NEARLY as much as a normal 5.8" screen in a 16:9 aspect ratio. In fact, the dimensions are almost IDENTICAL to the 5.1" s7..... so you need you remember that the 18:9 aspect ratio is doing a lot of magic. The s8 is pretty much the same in terms of dimensions to the htc 10 as well but thinner so the amount of room for a battery is about the same. While I will admit I am disappointed that the battery is not larger, the disappointment is nowhere near a TRADITIONAL 5.8" 16:9 screen

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #483 of 1,526
  I'm shure the mr speakers AEON is also a worthy headphone that costs the same as the blue ella, however I doubt you will buy it as you still don't really want to spend $700 on the ella

Yeah I've read/heard good things about Mr. Speakers as well. What did you say about them when I asked b4? I don't remember now. lol 

Well they DO look nice! lol And balanced 'phones too? Hmm, cool. 

Also I notice that the AEON ALSO has ear-shaped ear cups like the Blue headphones do. 

I'd LOVE to read an akg fanboy review of the Ella vs. AEON one day! 
L3000.gif
 lol

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #484 of 1,526

Yeah I've read/heard good things about Mr. Speakers as well. What did you say about them when I asked b4? I don't remember now. lol 

Well they DO look nice! lol And balanced 'phones too? Hmm, cool. 

Also I notice that the AEON ALSO has ear-shaped ear cups like the Blue headphones do. 

I'd LOVE to read an akg fanboy review of the Ella vs. AEON one day! 
L3000.gif
 lol

Personally if I were to buy a headphone for neutrality and comfort....... the AEON would win any day. The headphone itself is much lighter and has an adjustable headband that works better for my head, also many people said that the aeon sounds exactly like a mini ether c which is really good since the ether c is an incredibly neutral planar headphone
Yes I will review them both.... under the condition that I get a free review unit from both companies LOL

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #485 of 1,526
  you got to realize that the aspect ratio has changed, so the amount of space is not NEARLY as much as a normal 5.8" screen in a 16:9 aspect ratio. In fact, the dimensions are almost IDENTICAL to the 5.1" s7..... so you need you remember that the 18:9 aspect ratio is doing a lot of magic. The s8 is pretty much the same in terms of dimensions to the htc 10 as well but thinner so the amount of room for a battery is about the same. While I will admit I am disappointed that the battery is not larger, the disappointment is nowhere near a TRADITIONAL 5.8" 16:9 screen

Hmm ok. Very interesting. Thx for explaining! 

But I don't get what the aspect ratio of the screen has to do with the body size of the phone? I thought aspect ratio just had to do with like whether or not the image itself on the screen was wide or not?

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #487 of 1,526

Hmm ok. Very interesting. Thx for explaining! 

But I don't get what the aspect ratio of the screen has to do with the body size of the phone? I thought aspect ratio just had to do with like whether or not the image itself on the screen was wide or not?

yeah, a 5.8" 18:9 screen is a lot narrower, it's in fact pretty much the same width as a 5.2" traditional screen. The only difference is that it's longer, and what did samdung do? They chopped off the top and bottom bezel so basically the chopped off top/bottom bezel became more screen space. The total size of the device is pretty much the same so you can use a "phablet" that FEELS like a normal 5" phone

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #488 of 1,526
  Personally if I were to buy a headphone for neutrality and comfort....... the AEON would win any day. The headphone itself is much lighter and has an adjustable headband that works better for my head, also many people said that the aeon sounds exactly like a mini ether c which is really good since the ether c is an incredibly neutral planar headphone
Yes I will review them both.... under the condition that I get a free review unit from both companies LOL

LOL! Maybe I'll write to both companies in favor of that?!! 

I see. I actually really like both, but maybe I'm biased towards Blue b/c I had the fortune of trying out the Blue Lola about a year ago? lol 

Maybe if I ever get the Blue Lola I'll also get the Mr. Speakers AEON too and compare them since they're the same price? 

I also really like Blue for how they market their phones. Love the Zeppelin references in that one Lola ad and also on the newer Sadie and Ella ad pages on their site. They make their headphones seem fun, but they have the quality to back it up too, and I think that's important in trying to get more attention on the headphone arena. The more attention it gets, the more money comes in, and the more that will breed competition to further improve quality. So even if the AEON is better, I still have to give them credit for that. I wish AKG marketed their phones more, but I guess that is more H/K's fault than AKG's. lol Hopefully Samsung doesn't do the same thing, and also gives AKG back their R&D funding to help further innovation. 

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #489 of 1,526
  yeah, a 5.8" 18:9 screen is a lot narrower, it's in fact pretty much the same width as a 5.2" traditional screen. The only difference is that it's longer, and what did samdung do? They chopped off the top and bottom bezel so basically the chopped off top/bottom bezel became more screen space. The total size of the device is pretty much the same so you can use a "phablet" that FEELS like a normal 5" phone

LOL that's awesome! 

Man, you think HTC will do that too for the 11/Ocean? I really hope so. They need a bigger battery, but maybe not as big as I thought (like 3400 mAh lol) before today. 

Mar 25, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #490 of 1,526
guys i cant tell the difference between my phone and my PC listenitng to music. i don't everyone exclusively listens to music on their phone/dap because you know what if you're on the PC and you find new music. 

So is the music from your PC superior to your phoe? i mean everything about the PC is superior to the phone due its size difference (gpu etc). I was thinking maybe getting new speakers for my PC set up. 

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #491 of 1,526
Hi, i am planning to buy a bluetooth headphones. I am torn if i will buy a bose soundsport wireless or akg y50BT. I will mainly use it in the office. Important thing for me is the sound quality. I know these are different types so they might not be comparable but hope you can help me. Thanks!

Mar 26, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #492 of 1,526
You should look those Blue Ella headphones too if you're up for spending $700. lol Seriously. Planar magnetic with a built-in audiophile-grade amp! You got the 10, so you don't need to worry about a quality DAC, and having a built-in amp means you can save battery life by not having to put the volume up as much as the Ella's amp will cover most of that for you. Its amp has the On setting for great volume, and the On+ one adds a touch of bass when you want it, and if not, just go back to On. I've seen reviews compare it to some top-rated planars like the Oppo PM-3 and even the pricier PM-2, and even some open-back Grados. See here for more (and check out that hilarious ad too lol). 

Since you brought up bass and the HTC 10, have you noticed that since playing music off the 10 that you get a bit more bass than from other smartphones? That's something I noticed anyway. I notice it more in my car b/c b4 I'd usually turn my Bass setting in there no lower than -2 or -3. But since getting the 10 I've been leaving it closer to like -5 to -7, and that's with the same EQ that I use in the car only (Poweramp "Rock" preset). On headphones though I don't seem to notice it though. Very weird. Let me know. Akg etc, tune in too. 

So I checked this Blue Ella out. I think you posted a link long time ago about the same company but don't remember anything about the Ella, maybe it wasn't released at the time. I found the threads, some reviews and a few videos. They sure look interesting, the design is a little bit different..., my only concern is an apparently lack of sub bass. They sell them at Amazon UK for 675 gbp, more expensive than the US, but thats normal for imported headphones. I just had a look at Amazon UK(big mistake) and the prize was down to 555 gbp...590 gbp all in to Denmark. Couldn't resist, bought a pair :). They are sold by Amazon - 30 day return period, and if that fails I will blame Rock....:wink:.

I should have them sometime next week and will of course post some impressions, but it will take me at least 2 weeks to see if I really like them.

And yes agree with the HTC 10, it's on the warmer/bassier side. I never IQ, I only use my boomsound settings.

Mar 26, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #493 of 1,526
  guys i cant tell the difference between my phone and my PC listenitng to music. i don't everyone exclusively listens to music on their phone/dap because you know what if you're on the PC and you find new music. 

So is the music from your PC superior to your phoe? i mean everything about the PC is superior to the phone due its size difference (gpu etc). I was thinking maybe getting new speakers for my PC set up. 

The difference is that MOST laptops and MOST phones are given the crappiest audio components available b/c most ppl don't think the audio quality on their device is THAT important, so the makers go cheap there in order to save money. That's why it's essential if you want the best quality (or even just BETTER) that you play from a device that uses a good quality DAC & amp set up, or else through a good DAC/amp device. 

I think they both in general will suck. lol That is why you must do what I just said above in order to ensure you're getting the best quality. Yeah but that doesn't mean the PC's audio is superior. If you have an audiophile phone especially like the HTC 10 or LG V20, the PC's quality won't compare (unless you got something special installed in the PC). 

Yeah new speakers would be cool, but they will only sound as good as your PC will allow them, and also how good they sound depends on the music. Is it mp3, or is it CD-Quality? Hi-Res? 

Mar 26, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #494 of 1,526
Hi, i am planning to buy a bluetooth headphones. I am torn if i will buy a bose soundsport wireless or akg y50BT. I will mainly use it in the office. Important thing for me is the sound quality. I know these are different types so they might not be comparable but hope you can help me. Thanks!

Forget Bose. It's overrated. AKG is better AND cheaper typically. 

Here are your 2 options. Both are highly rated, but the 2nd one is probably better because it has 50mm speaker driver's vs. 40mm, which means more than likely the 2nd one will have a WIDER soundstage (wider sound = more awesomeness). Read the reviews on both. 

Both also let you listen with the cable for a small bump in volume and quality. I actually tried the 2nd one a while back and was pretty impressed by it. Never tried the Y50BT though. 

AKG Y50BT: 1) Rating  2) Buy on Amazon 

AKG K845BT: 1) Rating  2) Buy on Amazon

If you're open to spending over $300, I MAY have better options for you. Let me know if you are. 

Hope that helps! 

Mar 26, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #495 of 1,526
So I checked this Blue Ella out. I think you posted a link long time ago about the same company but don't remember anything about the Ella, maybe it wasn't released at the time. I found the threads, some reviews and a few videos. They sure look interesting, the design is a little bit different..., my only concern is an apparently lack of sub bass. They sell them at Amazon UK for 675 gbp, more expensive than the US, but thats normal for imported headphones. I just had a look at Amazon UK(big mistake) and the prize was down to 555 gbp...590 gbp all in to Denmark. Couldn't resist, bought a pair
smily_headphones1.gif
. They are sold by Amazon - 30 day return period, and if that fails I will blame Rock....:wink:.

I should have them sometime next week and will of course post some impressions, but it will take me at least 2 weeks to see if I really like them.

And yes agree with the HTC 10, it's on the warmer/bassier side. I never IQ, I only use my boomsound settings.

Yeah Blue released the Sadie and the Ella in January. 

Well from what I've read, the Ella isn't AS bassy at the Sadie, but I guess the sub-bass is still pretty strong? The Sadie can get louder but although very clear, the Ella is even more so. So if bass is a big deal, the Ella MAY be enough but if not then you prob wanna check out the Sadie, which is less. 

Wait, the price is 675 or 555 gbp for the Ella?? lol 

Haha..........yes blame me, for their AWESOME SOUND that is! 
L3000.gif
  You read the reviews...........you know what's up stenog. lol 

Ok sounds good! I look forward to reading your review on the Ella then (or Sadie??! lol)!

You mean EQ? Ok that's cool. Yeah in my car I notice it's bassier and I do on headphones too, but not AS much for some reason. 

See more about Blue headphones here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back