Sony/B&W/HTC/AKG/Sennheiser/MISC Thread
Sep 1, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #1,366 of 1,526
haha finally a pleasant surprise. I feel like sony is finally doing great stuff. amazing camera from xz2p if not worlds best overall camera coupled with first 4k HDR recording. Thinned down xz3 design, finally oled from JDI and panasonic which supports 10 bit rec2020. this means it can display the full color gamut of professional grade cameras. FYI samsung currently only boasts 8bit while also being cheaper to produce due to ink jet printing method invented by the JDi and panasonic. Not to mention improved longevity of the OLED like with most things japanese...they last long time.

AI clever feature such as prop up into camera position it automatically opens up to camera. now thats clever. All improvements while retaining the speed and reliability of all advantages of previous sony phones while improving on their mistakes. oh the xz3 is the worlds first android 9.0 phone as well.

yo know me i've been raving about JDI for the longest time and it finally came. This means its almost certain the next premium will feature 4k oled display. i wish i had put my money where my mouth was and invested in Sony and JDI stocks.

https://www.gsmarena.com/independen...peria_xz3_has_the_best_display-news-33045.php
https://www.gsmarena.com/strategy_a..._compact_as_battery_life_kings-news-30348.php

Samsung and LG are in for a spanking from Sony. Enough said. Samsung overrated is coming to an end finally. Sony haters will finally shut their mouths.

Yeah I really like the XZ3 overall. But why the F didn't they give it the dual lens camera like XZ2P had??

So JDI's OLED is BETTER than Samsung's OLED then??

Yeah have Android Pie 9.0 is definitely a PLUS. Not a BIG plus, but a plus nonetheless.

Yes you have. lol But I can see why! :ok_hand:

Yeah I'm sure next will be 4K HDR OLED. Though that's assuming the SD 855 will ACTUALLY be able to handle 4K in 18:9, which the 845 COULD NOT, thus why the XZ2 Premium was put out in 16:9.

crap. I've been investing in various stocks. I WISH that was an option. Can we invest in that here in the U.S.?? lol So far I have money in: Tesla, Netflix, Facebook, Amazon, Apple, and one U.S. bond.

I hope so man. I REALLY hope so. lol But I need to see more before I put my full faith in Sony. Samsung has come A LONG way since 3-4 years ago.

DA*N I wish the Note 9 was included in that one review! But still, that's AWESOME for XZ3!!

Wow on both those articles though! But once again, UNTIL Sony Mobile, the F'ING IDIOTS that they are, finally starts certifying VoLTE for T-Mo, I will NEVER buy a phone from them again. NEVER!! lol

Sep 2, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #1,367 of 1,526
yes Sony OLED is now superior in almost every metric. 30 percent less power due to JDI TDAF emitters that use energy and less light leakage. also cheaper to produce thanks to injet printing. You can see more color thanks to the 10 bit rec2020 color thats pretty much the entire spectrum that can be capture with professional camera not to mention the HDR colors from HDR recording.

whatever advantages samsung had over sony in terms of display technology has been lost.
oh not to mention it lasts twice as long too because of its emitter technology. Camera is also top notch if not surpassed samsung as well. Longer battery life prob too.

yeah screw samsung. JDI doesn't have public stock but you could have invested in sony and panaonisc, sharp.

Sep 2, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #1,368 of 1,526
yes Sony OLED is now superior in almost every metric. 30 percent less power due to JDI TDAF emitters that use energy and less light leakage. also cheaper to produce thanks to injet printing. You can see more color thanks to the 10 bit rec2020 color thats pretty much the entire spectrum that can be capture with professional camera not to mention the HDR colors from HDR recording.

whatever advantages samsung had over sony in terms of display technology has been lost.
oh not to mention it lasts twice as long too because of its emitter technology. Camera is also top notch if not surpassed samsung as well. Longer battery life prob too.

yeah screw samsung. JDI doesn't have public stock but you could have invested in sony and panaonisc, sharp.

I LIKE your spirit Aertus! lol

Yeah seems like Samsung is lagging. I guess we will see what happen down the line.

Sep 4, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #1,369 of 1,526
I LIKE your spirit Aertus! lol

Yeah seems like Samsung is lagging. I guess we will see what happen down the line.
samsung has a few aces up its sleeve still left with foldable phones and whatnot..... but I think the rise of Sharp and sony will give LG and samsung a run for their money.

upload_2018-9-4_22-56-45.png

sharp oled phone. Not as bright JDI OLED but still pretty damn great. Samsung has some competition for sure and you already know how i feel about LG Lol. Google pixel might ditch LG for Sharp OLED>

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #1,370 of 1,526
samsung has a few aces up its sleeve still left with foldable phones and whatnot..... but I think the rise of Sharp and sony will give LG and samsung a run for their money.

sharp oled phone. Not as bright JDI OLED but still pretty damn great. Samsung has some competition for sure and you already know how i feel about LG Lol. Google pixel might ditch LG for Sharp OLED>

Well I would hope so! lol I have the LG V30 so I'd like to see Sony push the audio thing even further to the point where reviewers can't decide which one makes the better sounding phone FOR HEADPHONE USE. lol

Yeah that Sharp OLED phone display looks great! Yeah but why don't you like LG again? You know why I don't like Samsung right (although that is starting to change, but they're not there YET for audio, and not sure on UI, but I guess they FINALLY got the color accuracy issue resolved lol).

Sep 18, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #1,373 of 1,526
Hey aertus.........

Yeah that is pretty impressive! To me, any phone that achieves high 80s or esp 90+ hours is excellent.

I love a lot of things about the XZ3............OLED display, battery life, 18:9 design, higher res display, only phone to offer HDR display, better speakers, better low light, new cool colors, etc. But it still has some cons.............4 GBs of RAM (should be at least 6), 64 GB memory, FINALLY having Always-On Display, reverting BACK to a single lens camera (why??) after the XZ2P had a dual setup, FS a bit low, and my favorite lol..............NO T-MO VOLTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, the RAM, memory, and FS issues are not deal breakers, but given that S9+ and G7 ThinQ both have dual lenses like their more premium flagship counterparts, then I don't think Sony Mobile was right in going single lens again. Just stupid. They're giving Samsung an edge there on the camera which is the LAST thing Sony Mobile needs to be doing. Sony Mobile needs to realize that it's not about having more pixels but doing more with the ones you got.

Yeah XZ3 Premium will prob fix some of these issues, if not all of them. I'm sure it will have a dual lens setup. And PROB 4K HDR too since the 845 couldn't handle that in 18:9, but I believe they say the 855 will. So I guess just wait for that. Unless you're me, then you just keep wishing horrible things upon those lowlifes at Sony Mobile who continue to not offer T-Mo VoLTE on these phones. lol :ksc75smile:

Sep 18, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #1,375 of 1,526
Hey aertus.........

Yeah that is pretty impressive! To me, any phone that achieves high 80s or esp 90+ hours is excellent.

I love a lot of things about the XZ3............OLED display, battery life, 18:9 design, higher res display, only phone to offer HDR display, better speakers, better low light, new cool colors, etc. But it still has some cons.............4 GBs of RAM (should be at least 6), 64 GB memory, FINALLY having Always-On Display, reverting BACK to a single lens camera (why??) after the XZ2P had a dual setup, FS a bit low, and my favorite lol..............NO T-MO VOLTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, the RAM, memory, and FS issues are not deal breakers, but given that S9+ and G7 ThinQ both have dual lenses like their more premium flagship counterparts, then I don't think Sony Mobile was right in going single lens again. Just stupid. They're giving Samsung an edge there on the camera which is the LAST thing Sony Mobile needs to be doing. Sony Mobile needs to realize that it's not about having more pixels but doing more with the ones you got.

Yeah XZ3 Premium will prob fix some of these issues, if not all of them. I'm sure it will have a dual lens setup. And PROB 4K HDR too since the 845 couldn't handle that in 18:9, but I believe they say the 855 will. So I guess just wait for that. Unless you're me, then you just keep wishing horrible things upon those lowlifes at Sony Mobile who continue to not offer T-Mo VoLTE on these phones. lol :ksc75smile:
the software is so well optimized the 4gh of ram isn't an issue.

they went to a single lens camera because they couldn't fit the dual lens module from the xz2p into it as it would be too thick.

also you do realize xz2p has dual lens we don't have to wait for xz3p.

64gb is okay it has expandale storage just like most androids. IT closed the gap big time against samsung.

Sep 19, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #1,376 of 1,526
the software is so well optimized the 4gh of ram isn't an issue.

they went to a single lens camera because they couldn't fit the dual lens module from the xz2p into it as it would be too thick.

also you do realize xz2p has dual lens we don't have to wait for xz3p.

64gb is okay it has expandale storage just like most androids. IT closed the gap big time against samsung.

Yeah, but see, you and I know that, but most people will see that and assume Samsung is better. Apple makes its phones so efficiently that even 2 GBs of RAM does more than 4 GBs of RAM on the average Android phone. So they can get away with that stuff. Sony can't. And they need to stop thinking they can, or that people view them the same way they do Apple, b/c they don't. The sales speak for themselves.

Well they should've made it work. If the G7 and S9+ can fit a dual, then they should've too. That's the kind of attitude Sony needs to have, but they don't. I get going back & forth on the 4K screen, but the dual camera should've stayed.

Yeah but the XZ2P is also 16:9. Sorry, but after owning the LG V30 for almost a year now, I will NEVER go back to 16:9, esp on a larger phone. NEVER! Not even for Sony. lol

Yeah it is ok. As I'd mentioned, it's not a deal breaker, esp since Apple did the same thing, and yeah Sony offers expandable storage. That one doesn't bother me at all b/c my V30 is 64 GBs too.

How is it closing the gap against Samsung?

Sweet deal, though only available on the Black version. Too bad I'll still never buy it. lol I REALLY like that forest green version though. Stunning phones, but there's NOTHING stunning about how Sony Mobile runs things. Although I could say I many times am QUITE STUNNED at how inept they are. lol

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #1,377 of 1,526
yeah i understand what you're saying. I think Sony should of cut their competition by lowering their price instead so they'd offer class leading tech at a lower price essentially killing the oneplus. They still hold onto their idea that their brand is really high quality like back in the 80s. Sony does not compromise on quality is their motto which in cases it can be good.
Btw i was on vacation in Europe and i took my xz1 there. I think because of the USA tmobile stuff my phone had better connectivity over there haha. So it was a good phone to use.

yes, but tbh quality over quantity. look at google pixel it only has one camera.

I think eventually the xz2p will be 18:9 eventually especially when it gets an OLEd screen than it might be worht buying. I wouldn't buy it for the size alone if i were to get any new xperia it would be the xz3 for me.

Come on man did you not read my posts about the OLED tech, the increased battery size, and the improved camera/ai features. Thats what i mean by closing the gap you can't say they are not. even phonearena is jumping on sony's dick now with the xz3. btw i saw a video somewhere that Sony didn't put really small bezels cuz they wanted the connectivty on the phone to be top notch and also it has a better selfie than samsung.

Yeah i like that forest green a lot too its pretty unique. I like the white color as well xperia look good on white color. Hmm is that really a good deal idk if i want those earphones.

Sep 21, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #1,378 of 1,526
yeah i understand what you're saying. I think Sony should of cut their competition by lowering their price instead so they'd offer class leading tech at a lower price essentially killing the oneplus. They still hold onto their idea that their brand is really high quality like back in the 80s. Sony does not compromise on quality is their motto which in cases it can be good.
Btw i was on vacation in Europe and i took my xz1 there. I think because of the USA tmobile stuff my phone had better connectivity over there haha. So it was a good phone to use.

yes, but tbh quality over quantity. look at google pixel it only has one camera.

I think eventually the xz2p will be 18:9 eventually especially when it gets an OLEd screen than it might be worht buying. I wouldn't buy it for the size alone if i were to get any new xperia it would be the xz3 for me.

Come on man did you not read my posts about the OLED tech, the increased battery size, and the improved camera/ai features. Thats what i mean by closing the gap you can't say they are not. even phonearena is jumping on sony's dick now with the xz3. btw i saw a video somewhere that Sony didn't put really small bezels cuz they wanted the connectivty on the phone to be top notch and also it has a better selfie than samsung.

Yeah i like that forest green a lot too its pretty unique. I like the white color as well xperia look good on white color. Hmm is that really a good deal idk if i want those earphones.

Yes lowering prices would make a HUGE difference. Even their newer TVs aren't being rated as highly as they were a few years back. Samsung and LG mostly hold those titles now. Their phones can outdo LG (except on audio lol), but everything else is either matched or in most cases outdone by Samsung. The color accuracy camera issues they had appear to have been fixed. Their displays are considered better. They're offering better audio products with their phones, though STILL are holding back on DAC and amp quality, which annoys me b/c I know the int'l Exynos-based ones GET great DACs like Wolfson or on the newer ones they get Cirrus Logic. I hate that we don't get that here. But even then LG's Quad DAC still wins. But to get everything else perfect I might be willing to trade for Samsung, and I can't believe I just said that. LOL I think even TouchWiz is getting less laggier now?

Haha really? Ok. I don't know why it would work better there in Europe, but I guess that's better than the opposite! lol

Yeah the XZ3's camera has been getting great reviews, although compared to the Note 9, it's still not as good (aside from slow-mo lol), which annoys me b/c I thought Sony finally outdid Samsung on the Z5 or first X phones, but it seems like they slipped a bit? Or should I be comparing the XZ2 Premium's camera to the Note 9? This comparison favors Sony in a lot of ways, but for low light detail and video, Samsung wins. Though I still and always have preferred a natural color display (Sony) vs. warmer tones (Samsung). I agree that having the second camera doesn't automatically mean it's gonna be superior, but I think it definitely helps. I really love the wide lens on my V30, so I hope future Sony and Samsung phones gets that too. Is the XZ2 P's second lens wide? I know the Samsung's second lens is telephoto, which I could do without.

This newer comparison by Phone Arena of the XZ3 vs. Note 9 (and Pixel 2 & iPhone X) though does support your "closing the gap" statement, but still, in most low light/night shots, Samsung wins. Minor exception is the night selfie. Though let's be honest............ a difference of 0.5 is HARDLY winning. lol This makes me think that in 2019 Sony may take the crown on camera, but as long as they don't advertise, sell through carriers, and certify for VoLTE, the sad truth is no one (at least no one in the U.S.) will care.

The XZ2P in 18:9? Not happening. But I'm sure the XZ3P will be. The 845 they said can't handle 4K HDR in 18:9, so that's why they held back. But the 855 I BELIEVE will, so yeah the XZ3P will be incredible probably. It's so frustrating to me that the Samsung and Sony both have great int'l phones but in order to get the best reception here you have to compromise. Such BS.

Yeah they might be "closing the gap" with Samsung, but the issue is Samsung is pushing forward hard as well. As long as Samsung sells phones here through carriers and/or unlocked U.S. variants that have T-Mo VoLTE, to me they will always be ahead. I STILL don't know what kind of DACs Sony uses in the Xperia phones, and if they're dual or not. The Z3 I read somewhere had dual DACs, but that was another time. lol Not having OIS.........that video I linked above proves why EIS is second class and should be disregarded permanently. Then also they removed the headphone jack too but Samsung still kept it. They need to "close" a lil better aertus. LOL

Well to me it's a great deal, but only b/c I'd turn around and sell the Xperia Ear earphones immediately for a decent profit. But another thing..........why can't they offer that deal for all colors? Why JUST black?? We thought 2018 would be the year they'd make a big comeback b/c it's the Xperia's 10-Year Anniversary, but I'm thinking maybe 2019 instead? Well hoping anyway. The XZ3P will be 18:9 so it will get more attention than the XZ2P did, and it will prob be 5G too, and hopefully 6 GBs of RAM, and yeah it SHOULD be dual lens, etc. IF the XZ3P had T-Mo VoLTE, and I had more info on the DAC etc, I'd prob get it. But I just don't think it's worth it really. Prob better off just waiting until next year when the 5G phones come out. But damn, that Forest Green.......................LOL!!

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #1,379 of 1,526
zx2p should be compared with note 9 yes since they are both the premium offerings of both brands. xz2p uses dual lens but its a fusion based imaging. Basically one sensor is RGB the other Monochrome and combines the two for better low light shots. If you could keep the phone still and use manual mode it should be able to take better pictures than the note 9. I did a sec shutter speed on my xz1 and it took some really nice shots that impressed people. IN daylight i think Sony might have surpassed the others.

it works better in europe because in the USA volte is not certified but such issue does not exist in europe so it works with its full capabilities based on the carriers in europe. So i was able to get really good call quality over there. the issue with Sony seems to be specific to the USA alone.

i think one point behind note 9 is still very good score. The CEO of sony has admitted that Sony mobile is behind in camera software and will make strives to put Sony on top so they can both have the advantage of hardware AND software. At least Sony is trying to get on top though. and come on finally OLEd how long have we been talking about it and now its finally here.

yeah forest green is great. im sure the phones price will drop.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #1,380 of 1,526
zx2p should be compared with note 9 yes since they are both the premium offerings of both brands. xz2p uses dual lens but its a fusion based imaging. Basically one sensor is RGB the other Monochrome and combines the two for better low light shots. If you could keep the phone still and use manual mode it should be able to take better pictures than the note 9. I did a sec shutter speed on my xz1 and it took some really nice shots that impressed people. IN daylight i think Sony might have surpassed the others.

it works better in europe because in the USA volte is not certified but such issue does not exist in europe so it works with its full capabilities based on the carriers in europe. So i was able to get really good call quality over there. the issue with Sony seems to be specific to the USA alone.

i think one point behind note 9 is still very good score. The CEO of sony has admitted that Sony mobile is behind in camera software and will make strives to put Sony on top so they can both have the advantage of hardware AND software. At least Sony is trying to get on top though. and come on finally OLEd how long have we been talking about it and now its finally here.

yeah forest green is great. im sure the phones price will drop.

Ok yeah. Yeah I knew about how the dual lens setup worked. Very interesting. See that's the thing...........I'm tired of Sony only being better than Samsung in "Manual Mode". F that! lol I want it to be better all the time, cuz that's the only way ppl will finally respect Sony's phones. You know I'm right. lol

Yeah in daylight it's very possible per those reviews that Sony is better, but still, I find myself taking a lot of shots in low light w/o actually planning on it, so Sony still needs to perfect that crucial aspect too.

Ahh ok. Either Europe isn't as strict or more likely Sony Mobile ACTUALLY certified VoLTE over there unlike here and that's why you noticed an improvement. It makes sense.

I just watched the end of your video. I totally agree (and have said before) that OIS needs to be brought into the picture (no pun intended lol) with the Xperia series. Yes, one point behind Note 9 IS great, but I want them to be #1! LOL

Well I'm glad the new CEO is even talking about that, but they need to also focus on improving customer service for the WHOLE company as well, not just Sony Mobile. Yeah OLED is a welcome addition, but they STILL need to ditch EIS and bring OIS and of course CERTIFY VOLTEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

In other news, the Z3's Dual DAC setup apparently was only for the speakers, not headphone output. What Sony Mobile?!! lol I think even with AHO enabled, the Sony phones as is aren't gonna be good enough for audio, so I will most likely go back to using an amp/DAC IF I ever go back to Sony, which really doesn't seem likely anymore sadly. They could give the camera OIS and even put in a dual or quad DAC like LG, but w/o VoLTE, I refuse to go back to them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back