Sony/B&W/HTC/AKG/Sennheiser/MISC Thread
May 29, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #1,338 of 1,526
https://www.dxomark.com/htc-u12-camera-review-knockout-results/

heh even HTC has outdone sony in design (what the heck xz2) and now also in camera prowess. My main gripe with the phone is the design really its just so bulky and not effecient at all. meanwhile htc evolved their design to make it more flatter on the back.

im just waiting for nokia now.

I don't get the DxOMark score. For photo only, it's 106, but only ONE factor (Autofocus) hit 100. The rest were below that, so how the F did they come to 106? lol

Yeah I MIGHT give it to HTC this time around for design only cuz that transparent blue color looks so sick! lol But in camera dept, I dunno man. You know I still have a BIG issue with DxOMark last year re-evaluating the S8+ but not the XZ Premium, which of course gave the S8+ a nice bump score-wise, but Sony got ignored? NOT cool. And they haven't even evaluated ANY Sony phones since the XZ Premium apparently. No way the XZ2's camera is worse than the XZ Premium's. GTFOH. lol Still, yeah HTC seems to have a lot going for them with the U12+. Though the price of $799 is a bit high I think. The Squeeze 2.0 tech is really cool though. My issue with them is they are struggling much more than Sony, so I have reservations about going back to them as I know we'd discussed b4, they may not be around much longer. lol

I'm still also waiting to see both the LG G7 Thinq's and HTC U12+'s GSM Arena reviews, esp the audio (headphone) parts. So far, not much info on the U12+'s headphone audio yet at all. But G7 got the Quad DAC (even U.S. version this time, both locked & unlocked), so it's prob better. But still, I wanna know on U12+'s too.

And STILL waiting for an official release date of the XZ2 Premium! lol I'm guessing very soon.

Yeah it does still look a bit bulky I guess. But I like both theirs (HTC's) and XZ2 design, so I dunno. lol

I C. So what u think on Z5 then? U think those claims are true?

Jun 13, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #1,341 of 1,526
https://www.geeky-gadgets.com/sony-xperia-xz2-premium-is-headed-to-china-12-06-2018/

So I guess July then?? lol

https://www.t3.com/news/5g-sony-xperias-secret-weapon-in-fight-against-galaxy-s10-revealed

An article linked in this one about "improvements" mentions Sony looking to upgrade major points on the Xperia line, including audio:

And third, there are two additional slides in the presentation that outline Sony's ambitions. In one, the company details where it wants to "enhance product offerings" in its smartphone business. Those areas include design, camera, battery, audio, display and wireless data transmission.

In other news, I went to my local Best Buy a couple weeks ago to check out the XZ2. Apparently it had been dropped or something and the screen was cracked, so they removed it to replace it. Went back yesterday, and they STILL hadn't replaced it. Apparently, they sent a request to Sony Mobile to send them a new demo model, and SM STILL HASN'T sent it yet! Unreal. So I will prob try back next week, but this time I'll call first. lol

I even took my B&W P7s to test out the audio on the XZ2 with AHO (Automatic Headphone Optimization). They also had the XA and XA Ultra on display, but only the flagships come with AHO apparently. So I HAVE to wait. But while there, I decided to hit up the Magnolia section and they had the $900 B&W P9 on display to listen to. So I tested 3 songs out using my LG V30 with the Quad DAC, and to my surprise, my $350 (was $400) P7s actually sounded BETTER!! What?! I'd seen user reviews on Amazon claim that, but I didn't believe them, until now! lol On all 3 songs, both headphones sounded great, but the P9 had MORE background hiss at the same volume than my P7s did!! So I guess if I ever upgrade my P7 it WON'T be to the P9s! lol Crazy.

Jun 24, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #1,343 of 1,526
Was in downtown Chicago the other day and saw a Best Buy there. Went in and checked it out. Wasn't even thinking about the XZ2 but then I happened to notice that they actually HAD one on display. And I happened to have my headphones with me too. UNFORTUNATELY, I totally forgot that the XZ2 does NOT have a headphone jack on it, and of course they don't have any spare dongles for people to use. So I was unable to test it out, which sux. But oh well. lol I guess it really doesn't matter as long as Sony Mobile isn't offering T-Mo VoLTE on these newer flagships. If that changes, then perhaps I'll buy a dongle and try it out on a future phone.

Jun 25, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #1,345 of 1,526
No word on a new generation of wireless headphones from Sennheiser? Surely they're due for a refresh.

Hi mdickerman,

Not that I know of. Last Sennheiser headphones I owned were the HD1 Over-ears, but they were wired. I would check their site now and again to see if any new ones pop up. You can also either set up a Google alert on it or else download the Flipboard app like I did and include both "Sennheiser" and "Headphones" as topics of interest. If they do release a new one, it should get posted there.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #1,346 of 1,526
Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #1,348 of 1,526
I recently bought a pair of AKG Y50BT Bluetooth headphones for £60 from my local CEX and they are the best Bluetooth headphones I have other than the Sony MDR-1000X which are also good. The bass, mids and highs are very good and the battery life is excellent and lasts a long time. I have used them every day for a couple of weeks now for an a couple of hours walk in town and the battery is still not needing charged. However with saying that, it would be great if there was an battery indicator to see how full the battery level.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #1,349 of 1,526
I recently bought a pair of AKG Y50BT Bluetooth headphones for £60 from my local CEX and they are the best Bluetooth headphones I have other than the Sony MDR-1000X which are also good. The bass, mids and highs are very good and the battery life is excellent and lasts a long time. I have used them every day for a couple of weeks now for an a couple of hours walk in town and the battery is still not needing charged. However with saying that, it would be great if there was an battery indicator to see how full the battery level.

Yeah AKG is a great brand. The K550 was the third premium headphone I'd ever tried, and it changed my life! After that I knew I was an audiophile. lol

The K845BT is great too. I tried that out and was impressed. The Y50BT is newer though, so probably the better choice, though the K845BT is more over-ear than on-ear.

Yeah they should have put an indicator on there. Not sure if the K845BT had one or not though. Prob would have to look it up or ask AKG. But glad to hear it works so well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back