Sony/B&W/HTC/AKG/Sennheiser/MISC Thread
Oct 13, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #1,396 of 1,526
well let me know how it goes. Which color did you pre-order. and will you keep the phone if it does have it.

well your cousin is wrong because the new iphones are a fail when it comes to speed improvment the op6 is still faster than the iphone i watched a video on it and everyone was shaking their head at how a phone less than half the price could beat it. Though yes, the iphone does have a better camera. however thats reflected in the savings with the moeny saved in buying the op6 you can actually buy a pro camera hahaha. Also another thing to note is that apple is using intel modems which are inferior to qualcom because they have beef with qualcom and users are reporting wifi and lte issues which could be due to that.

yes its impressive sony can come close with just 3300mah.

SO some interesting things to note here about Sony: the Xz3 is a big hit in the Uk and its selling more than any other previous sony phone before it. A lot of this is thanks to Son'y new CEO who replaced the previous one and he is behind a lot of the changes we've seen on the xz2 and xz3 he really wants to force Sony mobile to change and make them cooperate with other sony divisions. Hence why the image algorithm inside the xz3 are better than anything samsung has which it can upscale to hdr and higher resolution thanks to cooperation with bravia imaging department.

you know in late 2017 Hirai started this image processing software algorithms division they are working together with the Bravia and Xperia team they are going to combine their talents with what both divisions and AI know its going to be a big game changer. Sony's AUBE and X1 chip will get cross-bred but apparently these software algorithms and camera hardware combined are beyond even what Pixel has. but we likely wont see this happen until next year so it will take a bit before sony can really beat the competition. Yoshida said he's hard at work right now to make some big changes at Xperia and that he feels Xperia will make a huge comeback around 2020.

it already did kind of with the xz3 the oled is already among the best. the Bravia image processing algorithms for the display already beats what Samsung has the upscaling algorithms too are years ahead of Samsung/Apple. you know the XZ2 Premium's camera hardware is killer it uses a very special lens developed by the G Master lens team . THe only bad thing about it is the software is way behind and its not really utilizing the sensor to its full potential. probably only 20 percent of its full potential. So yes Sony knows its behind in this area if it really wants to smash the competition.

Yoshida is really the right CEO for Sony. he is even looking to break into the US carriers and break all the stupid decisions sony has been making. he made a rule that every generation battery capacity will keep increasing so we might see 3500mah on the next Sony phone and then eventually 4000mah.

j

Sure thing. I pre-ordered Black. I MIGHT still change it to Green though. Not sure. lol No I won't keep it even if it does work. Why? Because Sony "we always have to do SOMETHING stupid" Mobile decided not to add the Band 71/600 MHz spectrum to it. Once that band goes live in a few months, I wouldn't have access to it with the XZ3, but my V30 will (V30 was FIRST phone on T-Mo to get that added). If Sony "Dumbf*ck" Mobile had renewed their former partnership with T-Mobile, the locked XZ3 would've for sure had it. lol My hope is that if this works that maybe next year it will get added or MAYBE JUST MAYBE the XZ4 or XZ3 P will get sold through T-Mobile and it will be on there 100% for sure. But I'm FULLY aware that's a long shot aertus. lol

So the video proved the OP6 was faster eh? Nice. I'm not that surprised though considering what I've heard of the OP phones as well, in addition to playing on my dad's OP5, which is very fast too! Yeah iPhone's camera is better. lol I DID just hear or read something about that beef with Qualcomm and that now they're having Wi-Fi issues too. That's not good. My one friend who loves Apple but also keeps buying Notes keeps tellin' me to try out an iPhone. But considering the awful battery life, no MicroSD card/no 128GB version, etc of the XS & XS Max, as well as high price, I don't think so. lol

Wait which iPhone was the OP6 competing against for speed? I'm hoping it was XS Max. LET ME KNOW PLEASE.

2020? I mean, all that stuff you said he's doing is great, but why THAT long? They release a new phone every 2-3 mos. lol IMO they're already leading in various ways, they just are holding back in certain areas where they shouldn't be: battery size, camera (OIS!!!!!! lol), headphone output volume/amp, going back to dual camera, etc. And quit being so God D*mn secretive about everything! Why no white papers?? Why no info on DACs & amps??

Ok wait, Yoshida ACTUALLY said he's looking to break Sony Mobile back in with the U.S. carriers? If you have that article, PLEASE post here ASAP! lol That's an AWESOME rule! So that means it's like DEFINITE the XZ4 and XZ3 P will have even better battery life than the already excellent XZ3 does (90 hours, per GSM Arena). If you have that article too or can find it w/o it being hassle, please post here too.

Oct 14, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #1,397 of 1,526
Hi Rock et al :)

I follow this thread regularly but don't read all posts. Just want to chime in regarding the OnePlus 6.

I got the OP6 in July and have been using it as my daily phone since then. Depending on needs and preferences it's one of the best, if not the best, smartphone on the market. And its not expensive.

Its very fast and very smooth and almost stock android. I have to say the more I use this stock android the more I love it. It got updated to android pie 1-2 months ago, can't remember exactly when :). Battery life is good without being extremely good, but easily last a day with heavy use.

It doesn't have wireless charging, the camera is not the best and the same goes for the screen. But its more than good enough for my use.

And it have a headphone Jack, but it also seems to be the last model with a jack stick. Audio is not on par with any LG phone, I don't use it for listening to music (for this I use my Daps or my LG G6), I use it for YouTube or occasionally to check out some music. I will miss the jack stick whenever its completely gone from all smartphones.

It was my intention to buy the LG G7 or the V30 or maybe even the V40. But for some unknown reason :) I bought the OP6 and have not regretted it one second. I will have to use my daps more and more for music though :)

I have to be honest I am not a big fan of the newer Sony smartphones, they are too big and bulky compared to the screen size. But let's see, maybe the new ZX3 will point in the right direction. I love Sony iems/headphones, just got the new IER-M7, wonderful iem. And the soon to be released ier-z1r should be out of this world. Sony can do it when they put their actions together! :)

Oct 14, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #1,398 of 1,526
Hi Rock et al :)

I follow this thread regularly but don't read all posts. Just want to chime in regarding the OnePlus 6.

I got the OP6 in July and have been using it as my daily phone since then. Depending on needs and preferences it's one of the best, if not the best, smartphone on the market. And its not expensive.

Its very fast and very smooth and almost stock android. I have to say the more I use this stock android the more I love it. It got updated to android pie 1-2 months ago, can't remember exactly when :). Battery life is good without being extremely good, but easily last a day with heavy use.

It doesn't have wireless charging, the camera is not the best and the same goes for the screen. But its more than good enough for my use.

And it have a headphone Jack, but it also seems to be the last model with a jack stick. Audio is not on par with any LG phone, I don't use it for listening to music (for this I use my Daps or my LG G6), I use it for YouTube or occasionally to check out some music. I will miss the jack stick whenever its completely gone from all smartphones.

It was my intention to buy the LG G7 or the V30 or maybe even the V40. But for some unknown reason :) I bought the OP6 and have not regretted it one second. I will have to use my daps more and more for music though :)

I have to be honest I am not a big fan of the newer Sony smartphones, they are too big and bulky compared to the screen size. But let's see, maybe the new ZX3 will point in the right direction. I love Sony iems/headphones, just got the new IER-M7, wonderful iem. And the soon to be released ier-z1r should be out of this world. Sony can do it when they put their actions together! :)

Stenog.........what up?!! lol

Well I'm flattered that you follow this thread. I try to keep things interesting, despite this thread's EVER-CHANGING subject line. lol

That's awesome! Yeah I have to say, I have been following the OnePlus phones on my Flipboard app, and have been loving what they've accomplished in such a short time! My dad got the Facial Recognition update on his OP5 several months ago, and he LOVES how it well it works, even in the dark. I have to say, it really is a great phone. It amazes me that OnePlus is going to offer in-screen FS before Samsung, Sony, Apple will!

But yes, I would prefer to have a phone with a TOP-grade camera though, and battery life. Yeah I hate that they're getting rid of the headphone jack. I AM trying out (just ordered it yesterday) this Shanling M0 DAP/ amp/DAC player (in Black color) though. Seems like a great compliment to any phone as long as you make sure to use Sony's LDAC audio codec on it (in the "Optimized for Audio Quality" mode) to connect to your phone. And ALL phones with Android Oreo 8.0+ will have LDAC as an option, so it's all good. lol It's semi-wireless, so you only need a cable to connect it to your headphones, although if you have BT headphones, you can connect it to that too. I can let you guys know what I think once I've evaluated if you wish.

Well I own the LG V30 as you probably know, but I'm growing tired of it. Even with the third-party modded GCam camera app on it (which DOES give me better quality pics ((not vids.......still use stock camera app for that)) than the stock app), it still kinda sux b/c like low-light shots take 5 or seconds to of you holding phone still to get the pic to come out right. On a Sony, Apple, Google Pixel, or Samsung phone, it wouldn't be that long at all. So I don't blame you at all for getting the OP6 brotha!

Yeah I'm a bit on the fence on the newer Sony phones' designs, but I have to admit, the notch at the BOTTOM of the back end is kinda f'in' cool. lol It's kinda like a "F YOU" to the notch phones. lol Wow, those are some sick IEMs stenog! I'm sure you will be enjoying them immensely! Yeah WHEN they do things right, they do them RIGHT! But yeah, they have to strengthen their amps on their Xperia phones for sure. And yes, DISCLOSE what DACs you're using and how many!! lol

Oct 15, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #1,399 of 1,526
Yes I can understand when camera and screen quality is important there are better phones than OP6. As I said the more I use it the more I like the speed and stock android. I have the notch disabled :). I only notice it when the screen is of.

I haven't tried the M0 but I have read about it, it should be very good especially for its size. Shanling makes some very good daps but I use Tidal more and more and up until now they haven't supported streaming services. I have thought about buying the soon to be released FiiO M9 to use on the go.

All my gear :) is in my profile. I used to have the mojo but was not that impressed by it. The Chord Hugo 2 is much better but way too expensive. The Ibasso DX150 and the FiiO X7II is better than the Mojo and both drive my headphones very well. No problems with 250 ohms headphones. The only good thing about the mojo is that is has a lot of power, it can drive almost all headphones.

Yeah soon the headphone jack is gone in most/all smartphones. But with all these new daps coming out we survive :).

Oct 15, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #1,400 of 1,526
Yes I can understand when camera and screen quality is important there are better phones than OP6. As I said the more I use it the more I like the speed and stock android. I have the notch disabled :). I only notice it when the screen is of.

I haven't tried the M0 but I have read about it, it should be very good especially for its size. Shanling makes some very good daps but I use Tidal more and more and up until now they haven't supported streaming services. I have thought about buying the soon to be released FiiO M9 to use on the go.

All my gear :) is in my profile. I used to have the mojo but was not that impressed by it. The Chord Hugo 2 is much better but way too expensive. The Ibasso DX150 and the FiiO X7II is better than the Mojo and both drive my headphones very well. No problems with 250 ohms headphones. The only good thing about the mojo is that is has a lot of power, it can drive almost all headphones.

Yeah soon the headphone jack is gone in most/all smartphones. But with all these new daps coming out we survive :).

Yeah........the OP6 seems like a truly great device regardless, esp at that price. I think what OnePlus is doing for the smartphone industry (which is giving it a nice KICK in the a$$!! lol) is terrific!

I just ordered the M0 to try it out vs. my LG V30's Quad DAC. It will come in tomorrow, so we'll see. I'll update this thread as well the M0 one after the fact. One correction I should make is that the M0 DOES NOT connect wirelessly to both your smartphone and like BT headphones. The connection to the headphones MUST BE wired. The M0 though can be used as a DAP or an amp/DAC. For me, it will be the latter.

Nice on gear! Yeah man, with devices like the M0 and the Radsone ES100, and also the FiiO BTR3, we are good to GO! lol Even better semi-wireless options include the Ampio G1 and the iFi xDSD, which they say on here sounds better with just aptX than the cheaper ones do with LDAC (crazy!). But it's also $400! LOL

Oct 19, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #1,401 of 1,526
Yeah........the OP6 seems like a truly great device regardless, esp at that price. I think what OnePlus is doing for the smartphone industry (which is giving it a nice KICK in the a$$!! lol) is terrific!

I just ordered the M0 to try it out vs. my LG V30's Quad DAC. It will come in tomorrow, so we'll see. I'll update this thread as well the M0 one after the fact. One correction I should make is that the M0 DOES NOT connect wirelessly to both your smartphone and like BT headphones. The connection to the headphones MUST BE wired. The M0 though can be used as a DAP or an amp/DAC. For me, it will be the latter.

Nice on gear! Yeah man, with devices like the M0 and the Radsone ES100, and also the FiiO BTR3, we are good to GO! lol Even better semi-wireless options include the Ampio G1 and the iFi xDSD, which they say on here sounds better with just aptX than the cheaper ones do with LDAC (crazy!). But it's also $400! LOL

I have just read your posts in the MO thread. I will rather reply here than in the MO thread.

Maybe you should consider a bigger and more powerful dap?

Both these daps can drive 250 ohms headphones without any problems. I haven't tried any of them but they both have threads here and cost 299 USD.

Ibasso DX120. Been out some time and generally gets very good reviews. I have the DX150 and love it but it's too big for portable use.

FiiO M9. Will be released in a week or so. Looks promising but of course not much feedback yet. I plan on buying this sometime in the near future.

Oct 19, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #1,402 of 1,526
I have just read your posts in the MO thread. I will rather reply here than in the MO thread.

Maybe you should consider a bigger and more powerful dap?

Both these daps can drive 250 ohms headphones without any problems. I haven't tried any of them but they both have threads here and cost 299 USD.

Ibasso DX120. Been out some time and generally gets very good reviews. I have the DX150 and love it but it's too big for portable use.

FiiO M9. Will be released in a week or so. Looks promising but of course not much feedback yet. I plan on buying this sometime in the near future.

That's fine. Both are fine.

Yeah, I'd already been considering that in case the M0 wasn't loud enough. lol

Both of those look cool. I'm particularly interested in a DAP or amp/DAC that has BT as well so that I can enjoy (or at least try out) a SEMI-wireless connection. With the M0, I couldn't hear a quality difference using LDAC and having half the setup be wired, which really impressed me. I kinda like the freedom that comes with this setup (i.e. not having to hold and deal with a cable from my smartphone lol). So the iBasso I'd pass on, the FiiO M9 would be a big maybe. Seems a bit big to be used an in-between device, and not sure on price either? I DO think it's interesting that it runs on the Exynos chip (like the GOOD int'l Samsung phones do, not the crappy Snapdragon-based U.S. ones we get here lol). Also more importantly, it features a dual DAC setup which is awesome. BT with LDAC, and Wi-Fi too?? I once tried an amp/DAC that did Wi-Fi streaming.

I will add that one to my list as well and see more reviews as they come out as well.

In the meantime, the 2 I'm looking at which are semi-wireless are the $250 Ampio G1 and the $399 iFi xDSD. The xDSD has WAY more power than I'll ever need, so no doubts on that one. lol The G1 though I've gotten conflicting info on whether it has somewhat more or less output power vs. the Shanling M0.

So I'm still researching it all I guess. lol Yeah if you get the M9 please feel free to talk about it here and/or link your posts on Head-Fi about it here. Though I try to keep it on headphones here, let's be honest, this thread is about "misc" as they come, which was my intention. LOL

Right now the xDSD is prob my first choice, but man, that price. lol But I know ppl on here who have said it sounds better with AAC or aptX than these cheaper ones do with LDAC, which is kinda crazy if you ask me! lol (The xDSD doesn't currently have LDAC, but iFi told me they may add it in the future.) I'd prefer to have a smaller device, but I guess when I decided to return the M0, that wish went out the window. lol

Oct 22, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #1,403 of 1,526
@stenog op6 is a great device indeed the cheap price and stellar software is what makes it a bargain and its hardware is always improving. If you want the money saved its the best phone but if you still want the absolute best at everything i would still get something else as there are few things the op6 compromises though for some people it might not matter much.

@RockStar2005 yes i can see your valid reasons for hating on Sony. However, i think anywhere else in the world its a very underrated phone because everywhere else it comes working as it should just fine.

good news my sony xz1 will be getting android 9 by the end of this month. So kudos to sony for fast updates.

Oct 22, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #1,404 of 1,526
@stenog op6 is a great device indeed the cheap price and stellar software is what makes it a bargain and its hardware is always improving. If you want the money saved its the best phone but if you still want the absolute best at everything i would still get something else as there are few things the op6 compromises though for some people it might not matter much.

@RockStar2005 yes i can see your valid reasons for hating on Sony. However, i think anywhere else in the world its a very underrated phone because everywhere else it comes working as it should just fine.

good news my sony xz1 will be getting android 9 by the end of this month. So kudos to sony for fast updates.

Yeah tell me about it aertus. lol

Nice!!!!!!

So yeah I got the Black XZ3 off U.S. Amazon (Single SIM version). Trying it out right now. Came in on Friday. I'll update here more when I am ready. Still deciding if I wanna keep it. But I'll explain that later. It's more to do with T-Mobile than Sony.

That Shanling M0 DAP and amp/DAC I mentioned before................returned it. Awesome, but didn't get loud enough to power my 250-ohm Beyers. But if you got headphones that are under say 200 ohms, it prob will be loud enough for you. Def under 100 ohms. Very tiny and awesome device that I highly recommend for only $109 off U.S. Amazon. Couldn't tell difference b/t having it connected to my V30 via BT LDAC and to Beyers with cable vs. V30 directly connected to Beyers. Seriously!! LDAC ftw! It uses the same awesome Sabre DAC as my V30 as well. Love the freedom you get from being semi-wireless like that, but no quality loss.

So now looking at the iFi xDSD or upcoming xCAN. xDSD is $399, though I know a guy on here who has one in mint condition with only 150 hours on it for $300. We'll see. lol But they say it sounds better with AAC codec than the cheaper devices do with LDAC, which is crazy but awesome. Prob cuz it has the Texas Instruments' luxury line of DACs on it, the Burr Brown. Anyway, if I don't keep my V30 I won't need it, but if I keep Sony, I might, since Sony's DACs are still questionable (I tried asking Sony Mobile about them but got nowhere again earlier today via chat lol) and their amps are as weak as F. lol

Oct 23, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #1,406 of 1,526
wow my phone sony xz1 will be getting android 9 in 3 days. THats impressive for a 2017 phone.

@RockStar2005 please tell us how it goes. Also tell us what your impressions of the phone are overall. how is the screen how is everything. how do you like the design of the phone and holding it.
tell us more!

Oct 24, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #1,407 of 1,526
wow my phone sony xz1 will be getting android 9 in 3 days. THats impressive for a 2017 phone.

@RockStar2005 please tell us how it goes. Also tell us what your impressions of the phone are overall. how is the screen how is everything. how do you like the design of the phone and holding it.
tell us more!

Nice. Yeah it is!!

Well, after 3-4 days with the XZ3, I've decided to (sadly) return it. Why?

Pros: Phone looks AWESOME in black, love the 18:9 ratio, no notch (well, notch at the a$$ end is kinda funny actually lol), OLED 2K HDR screen is AWESOME, Always-On Display is a welcome addition, FINALLY XPERIA HAS VOLTE!! lol, battery life seems pretty good (didn't really measure it closely though), fast performance, software seems fine to me overall, facial recognition works even in darker rooms, though initially I had an issue with it not working, camera is great overall, esp with color accuracy.

Cons: No more double-tap to sleep (only to wake), camera struggles big time in low light and even sometimes in daylight with details as well as some lens flare, no Band 71/600 MHz (which T-Mobile is about to deploy in my area of Chicago very soon) which sux b/c if Sony Mobile had certified and/or sold this through T-Mobile, it DEF would've gotten 71.............

See here for examples of the good and bad aspects of the XZ3's camera.

That's really it. The XZ2 P I've been told has a much better camera and dual lens. I think the XZ3 P will combine all that with the XZ3's OLED screen. If it does, I'll prob buy it. The XZ3 was a small step forward but 1-2 steps back IMO. Sux man, but whatever.

So for now my V30 remains.

The OnePlus 6T comes out next week. MIGHT consider that, esp since it will come out on T-Mobile, and THAT version WILL have Band 71 programmed in they say. Hey Sony Mobile, take note.............it's really NOT THAT hard, you beautiful f'ing idiots!

Peace. lol

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #1,409 of 1,526
so im confused Sony now has VOlte?

yes I think yoshida realizes sony is behind in camera software which is why he is forcing such big changes in the entire mobile division. It does seem like Sony is very close now but not quite there. I think they will push to make big changes every 6 months to catch up with the competition. Sony is close but they still need more to fully catch up or surpass them.

maybe xz4/xz5 will truly be great?

Oct 25, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #1,410 of 1,526
so im confused Sony now has VOlte?

yes I think yoshida realizes sony is behind in camera software which is why he is forcing such big changes in the entire mobile division. It does seem like Sony is very close now but not quite there. I think they will push to make big changes every 6 months to catch up with the competition. Sony is close but they still need more to fully catch up or surpass them.

maybe xz4/xz5 will truly be great?

Yeah man, it does. Check out my thread on XDA. Screenshots proving it worked on T-Mobile's network are included by iArvee and later on by me as well.

I was JUST as surprised as you are! LOL

Yeah well, he should've kept it going forward, not this 1 step forward (screen), 2 steps back (camera) BS. The XZ3 Premium better be F'ING PERFECT, cuz my patience has already worn pretty thin. I'm NOT happy that I'm returning the XZ3, but I know it was the right decision for me.

They need cut back on these releases too. It's just exhausting. XZ2, then XZ2 P, then XZ3 in the same year? What? It puts a dent on the resale value b/c the next Xperia is literally only a few months away. Well, at least for the first 2/3rds of the year. At this point, I'm guessing it'll be a good 6 mos (April) until the XZ3 P comes out at the EARLIEST.

XZ4? XZ5? The XZ3 Premium better be great! Though maybe they'll just call it the XZ4 Premium? Who knows. But that only further supports my point above: TOO many releases! I'm primarily focused on the XZ3 Premium now (or XZ4 P, whatever lol).

In other news, the OnePlus 6T apparently will be "Verizon-certified", in addition to what we knew already about it getting a T-Mobile version to be sold directly by T-Mo itself! VERY smart. Again, take note Sony Mobile. Yeah they did this for the XZ2 Compact (Verizon certified), but that wasn't even a flagship phone, so whatever. If Yoshida REALLY wants to prove to ME that he has balls, then he needs to start getting the major carriers here on the phone YESTERDAY and start preparing for 2019 carrier involvement. Get your s*it together Sony Mobile. You did WELL in 2018, but not fantastically. So make 2019 YOUR year by perfecting your phone, then your marketing, and finally selling through carriers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back