Sony/B&W/HTC/AKG/Sennheiser/MISC Thread
Aug 2, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #842 of 1,526
http://www.xperiablog.net/2017/08/0...-up-in-q1-2018-ships-3-4-million-smartphones/

So both HTC and Sony are seeing sales go up on their latest flagship phones. Very good news! Hopefully the trend will continue for both! lol
Sony, HTC, and Nokia are where the real quality is. I'm actually quite anxious about the new Nokia flagship as well microsoft transfered over 500 nokia patents to HMD global but im not really stoked about the leaked design.

The XZ premium is probably the biggest reason why Sony mobile is seeing growth as it has made quite a big hit among reviewers even those who don't like Sony. Which might suggest sony just made bad phones after the z3 (which they did).

Im guessing the XZ1 and the XZ compact might bring in some more sales as well and many have been waiting for a proper compact flagship.

Aug 2, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #843 of 1,526
Sony, HTC, and Nokia are where the real quality is. I'm actually quite anxious about the new Nokia flagship as well microsoft transfered over 500 nokia patents to HMD global but im not really stoked about the leaked design.

The XZ premium is probably the biggest reason why Sony mobile is seeing growth as it has made quite a big hit among reviewers even those who don't like Sony. Which might suggest sony just made bad phones after the z3 (which they did).

Im guessing the XZ1 and the XZ compact might bring in some more sales as well and many have been waiting for a proper compact flagship.

I'd hold my thought about HTC, they have serious software problems. Some of their smartphones have very compromised security and you might find your data leake with them and their HTC sense, we totally recommend avoiding them

Aug 3, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #844 of 1,526
I'd hold my thought about HTC, they have serious software problems. Some of their smartphones have very compromised security and you might find your data leake with them and their HTC sense, we totally recommend avoiding them

In the U.S. HTC phones get regular updates and are fine. I'm only finding out now that in certain other countries like ones in Asia and also India that they're not getting regular updates anymore on the 10 (U11 is safe though I believe). I don't know why this is happening, but I can assure you guys if you're in the U.S. and I think Canada (and prob most or all of Europe?) that there are no issues with security or updates.

Aug 3, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #845 of 1,526
In the U.S. HTC phones get regular updates and are fine. I'm only finding out now that in certain other countries like ones in Asia and also India that they're not getting regular updates anymore on the 10 (U11 is safe though I believe). I don't know why this is happening, but I can assure you guys if you're in the U.S. and I think Canada (and prob most or all of Europe?) that there are no issues with security or updates.

I'm in Europe - HTC sense has some heavy exploits done on it where a third party can crack open the user account and use it to access the Facebook, Twitter and all social media profiles of the owner - following bots for pages are usually based on HTC sense.

If they sorted that out, that'd be great, but when I used to have an HTC 820, its security was heavily compromised.

I wonder if this exploit was limited to their lower and mid end models, and if their high end models were / are safe though

Aug 3, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #846 of 1,526
I'm in Europe - HTC sense has some heavy exploits done on it where a third party can crack open the user account and use it to access the Facebook, Twitter and all social media profiles of the owner - following bots for pages are usually based on HTC sense.

If they sorted that out, that'd be great, but when I used to have an HTC 820, its security was heavily compromised.

I wonder if this exploit was limited to their lower and mid end models, and if their high end models were / are safe though

I think the issue you speak of was only affecting the lower/mid-level models. I haven't heard this happen with the flagship 10 or U11 models as of yet.

Aug 4, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #847 of 1,526
I think the issue you speak of was only affecting the lower/mid-level models. I haven't heard this happen with the flagship 10 or U11 models as of yet.

Oh, that is good to hear!

I should test a HTC if they ever make a phone big enough for me large hands - Currently using a Xiaomi Mi Max, which has a 6.44 display and I still find it a bit tiny....

Aug 4, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #849 of 1,526
Oh, that is good to hear!

I should test a HTC if they ever make a phone big enough for me large hands - Currently using a Xiaomi Mi Max, which has a 6.44 display and I still find it a bit tiny....

Yeah that would suck if their flagships were being plagued with those issues too. The U11 definitely wouldn't be selling as well if it was I'm sure.

You should.................if you really love phablets, then I guess go for the U11. Of course I'm biased towards the 10 as I'm NOT a fan of phablets. lol There's pros & cons to both. You should take what you've read in this and my U11 thread and also a comparison of the two, then decide.

Let us know which one you end up gettin'!

Aug 7, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #850 of 1,526
so after getting the Sony X for 250 dollars its really amazing for the price nothing beats it at this money.

This is also the first phone that Sony has unified its manufacturing logistics and it really shows the difference in quality from my z3c is night and day. This was another really stupid thing that sony did was that they had different versions for Japan and outside of japan.

did you know the japanese version of the z3 already had a side-mounted Fingerprint scanner for JAPAN which is just ridiculous. Now since the sony X and forward they have unified their logistics and everyone gets the same phone. Also impressive for 2620mah battery size its pretty good it must be credited to the snapdragon 650 and efficient JDI display and electronics.

camera is superb. Front facing camera is 100x better than my z3c. Sound quality i feel is also better i can hear more details than i could before. Display quality is also way better as is the feel, materials, design of the phone. I cant imagine how the xzp feels.

THE SPEAKERS are the biggest improvement. and are actually loud. This is another thing that was finally fixed. Highly recommended you can't be disappointed if you're looking for a cheap device that performs like a fflagship. I don't really see a huge reason to get the XZ over this phone . the 650 is so well optimized it even beats 820 phones.

Aug 8, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #851 of 1,526
so after getting the Sony X for 250 dollars its really amazing for the price nothing beats it at this money.

This is also the first phone that Sony has unified its manufacturing logistics and it really shows the difference in quality from my z3c is night and day. This was another really stupid thing that sony did was that they had different versions for Japan and outside of japan.

did you know the japanese version of the z3 already had a side-mounted Fingerprint scanner for JAPAN which is just ridiculous. Now since the sony X and forward they have unified their logistics and everyone gets the same phone. Also impressive for 2620mah battery size its pretty good it must be credited to the snapdragon 650 and efficient JDI display and electronics.

camera is superb. Front facing camera is 100x better than my z3c. Sound quality i feel is also better i can hear more details than i could before. Display quality is also way better as is the feel, materials, design of the phone. I cant imagine how the xzp feels.

THE SPEAKERS are the biggest improvement. and are actually loud. This is another thing that was finally fixed. Highly recommended you can't be disappointed if you're looking for a cheap device that performs like a fflagship. I don't really see a huge reason to get the XZ over this phone . the 650 is so well optimized it even beats 820 phones.

Nice. Yeah like my parents have the Xperia Z1s, which is simply put, the American T-Mobile version of the Z1. Completely pointless.

No I didn't know that. Would have been nice to have it on my Z3, but I didn't get to enjoy that until I bought the X Performance a year ago. Glad to hear they unified all that. Makes a lot more sense, and it eliminates confusion as well.

2620 is ok but after having had the X Performance, I am just glad that the 835 came out because now at least their and HTC's newest phones have excellent battery life (per Phone Arena anyway). Hopefully Sony continues that with the XZ1 this Fall.

Have their been any good articles regarding the XZ Premium's HEADPHONE audio quality? I should look too............. it would make a big difference for me next year if they did improve it to the level HTC had reached with the 10 and I guess U11 too. Nice about the camera and display quality...........and also the speakers. I just hope Sony also gets on board with raising the headphone volume output level as well. This is something they continue to keep WAY too low vs. HTC (XZ Premium was rated at around 0.36 volts vs. HTC 10's 1.09 volts), though the U11 I believe is a bit lower than the 10, but that may have something to do with it being in a dongle? I dunno. But Sony need to raise the bar there as well if they want my attention. I believe they keep the volume low to save battery power, but now I think they have the means to get passed that and still have excellent battery life. I really don't wanna have to go back to using an amp/DAC device again, but I will if the U12 sux and Sony improves upon that and/or other issues (i.e. certifying VoLTE with T-Mobile, going with a metal back vs. glass, keeping the option to have a non-phablet option, keeping the 3.5mm jack, etc).

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #854 of 1,526
Oreo will be EXTRA sweet with for audio lol...............................

http://www.androidauthority.com/android-oreo-vs-android-nougat-audio-794775/
i think that was also because there was a collaboration with sony on this. Also, i think Sony might be the first to have Oreo and their collaboration will also mean they will be teh fastest to update next to pixel.

you might like this http://www.gsmarena.com/v30_to_offe...in_a_smartphone_before_lg_says-news-26950.php

not sure how much of it just gimmick. i expect LG to try really hard to pull its company together they've lost a billion dollars in smartphones.

Aug 28, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #855 of 1,526
i think that was also because there was a collaboration with sony on this. Also, i think Sony might be the first to have Oreo and their collaboration will also mean they will be teh fastest to update next to pixel.

you might like this http://www.gsmarena.com/v30_to_offe...in_a_smartphone_before_lg_says-news-26950.php

not sure how much of it just gimmick. i expect LG to try really hard to pull its company together they've lost a billion dollars in smartphones.

Well yeah. Why do you think I posted the article here? lol The Sony LDAC contribution is one of the best things about that article. Sony was actually wise to do this because even though it seems like they are "giving away LDAC", the fact is, sales of their LDAC-compatible headphones and speakers should spike after Oreo hits because you can only utilize LDAC in full if both the source and the headphone or speaker has it too. I've read that even if it doesn't, you can still hear a difference, but it's more apparent when the receiving device is LDAC-compatible too. Of course, Sony Mobile needs to do a lot more than this if they wanna see profits rise in 2018. The question is, will they?

Not sure if the XZ1 will come with Oreo or not. I know the Note 8 is coming out soon, but it will come with Nougat not Oreo, so it's possible?

Yeah the V30 looks pretty cool. But I still don't trust LG b/c of that boot loop, and also the camera quality of the V20 was not that great either. Plus it's a phablet, so that's Strike 3 for me. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back