Sony/B&W/HTC/AKG/Sennheiser/MISC Thread
Jun 29, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #811 of 1,526
The XZ1........is that the one coming out in the Fall? These newer Sony phone model names are getting more and more confusing. lol

I hope it will have comparable battery life to the Z3, and also XZ Premium too! Surpassing the U11 will be tough b/c the U11's battery life is like over an hour longer than the XZ Premium's. It's def POSSIBLE though.

Yes I'm aware of all that regarding the 835. Both the U11 and XZ Premium utilize the 835.

Yeah, I'd prob pick Sony, but ONLY b/c I don't want the LG's V20 or V30 b/c they're phablet. If they weren't phablets, then it would be LG for audio for sure.

Speaker-wise I would say the XZ Premium is prob better than the U11, though I'm not 100% sure about that. The U11 is louder it seems, but not sure it's clearer. As you can see from below, per Phone Arena, headphone-wise the Sony is still WAY behind on volume, but on speaker volume, although it still trails behind the U11, it's MUCH closer at least. The Z3 however was about equal with the U11.

All Sony's phones and Walkmans are like this regarding headphone volume. They do this I guess for battery life, but give me a break. lol

Cool. But sux your Z3C broke.
xz1 is the sucessor of the XZ. Yeah they need to fix their naming.

yes but remember the XZ premium is running on 4k all the time so its impressive it can even maintain that. So now imagine 1080 whith an even more effecient JDI panel then before.

wow the z3 really was the best sony phone. The speaker loudness is actually not bad at all.

Im going to buy the Sony X for 250 dollars on ebay till IFA comes out. Which is not far away from now it will be august 21.

Jun 29, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #812 of 1,526
xz1 is the sucessor of the XZ. Yeah they need to fix their naming.

yes but remember the XZ premium is running on 4k all the time so its impressive it can even maintain that. So now imagine 1080 whith an even more effecient JDI panel then before.

wow the z3 really was the best sony phone. The speaker loudness is actually not bad at all.

Im going to buy the Sony X for 250 dollars on ebay till IFA comes out. Which is not far away from now it will be august 21.

Ok. And XZ1 is coming out this fall supposedly?

That is true, but still, in the end, great battery life is still key to getting higher phone sales. For me it's a BIG deal. So I'd rather they just put a bigger battery in there then it could've matched or even outdid the U11. But Sony didn't do that. Still, I am glad it got such a great rating despite the 4K always being on.

Yeah.........if they do 1080p or even 2K with the JDI panel, and the battery life goes UP, then I'll be happy. But to get me back they also have to upgrade the audio by a sizable amount. I MAY still go back to Sony next year if they don't, but it will depend on how good the HTC U12/12 is too. Right now, the U11 has the better camera and better audio for headphones. Edge Sense is kinda cool too. Sony needs to consider all this, and perhaps consider less bezels since the screen will have the fingerprint sensor if they go that route, meaning they won't need the bezels anymore for the side FS on the Power button. Sony needs to listen and get rid of bezels, do the FS on screen JDI thing, bigger battery, consider 2K too (perhaps), make sure color accuracy is kept with JDI screen, keep speaker setup as is, make a great non-phablet phone, use DEDICATED DACs & DEDICATED headphone amps that are made and tuned properly, enable FS, sell through carriers again, etc. I REALLY hope what that guy told me about them and Verizon in 2018 is true. We will see though. I would LOVE to see them make more of a comeback the way HTC has with its camera and phone sales. It still blows my mind that HTC's newest flagship has the BEST rated camera. Two years ago their cameras were just ok at best (sometimes great, but not often enough, and only with plenty of light).

2018 will be very interesting. lol

Jul 6, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #813 of 1,526
Sony is supposedly making going to use AN 18:9 1080p IPS panel, the screen itself already exists. As I said, going 18:9 and reducing the top/bottom bezels would fit the theme of their "omnibalance" design anyways so it's a win-win. By the way...... 2k IS 1080p
Oneplus might use the same panel in their oneplus 6 as well, and speaking of oneplus.... the first android phone to beat the iphone 7 in a speed test, plus it is not only faster than the iphone 7, but the 8gb version specifically is... in fact the 8gb version is faster than the 6gb and is able to keep up to 15 apps open which no phone with 6gb can do (even the oneplus 5 6gb version)

Jul 6, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #814 of 1,526
Sony is supposedly making going to use AN 18:9 1080p IPS panel, the screen itself already exists. As I said, going 18:9 and reducing the top/bottom bezels would fit the theme of their "omnibalance" design anyways so it's a win-win. By the way...... 2k IS 1080p
Oneplus might use the same panel in their oneplus 6 as well, and speaking of oneplus.... the first android phone to beat the iphone 7 in a speed test, plus it is not only faster than the iphone 7, but the 8gb version specifically is... in fact the 8gb version is faster than the 6gb and is able to keep up to 15 apps open which no phone with 6gb can do (even the oneplus 5 6gb version)

Yeah that would be awesome if they went 18:9. I agree, their Xperia phones have always had a "tall & thin" physique to them (aka OmniBalance), so 18:9 just makes sense. As would a titanium back and/or body!! lol

How is 2K = 1080p??

Yeah I just saw that about the OnePlus 6 beating the iPhone 7. I never knew iPhones were so fast!!

So you gonna buy it? lol

Jul 6, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #815 of 1,526
Yeah that would be awesome if they went 18:9. I agree, their Xperia phones have always had a "tall & thin" physique to them (aka OmniBalance), so 18:9 just makes sense. As would a titanium back and/or body!! lol

How is 2K = 1080p??

Yeah I just saw that about the OnePlus 6 beating the iPhone 7. I never knew iPhones were so fast!!

So you gonna buy it? lol
We already talked about 1080p being 2k last year multiple times, I even wrote a short essay explaining all the nuances of a display. Everybody calls 1080p "2k" because firstly that's what the popular and quite frankly schiity and terrible youtuber "mkbhd" called it and what oppo dubbed it as because they wanted to make a marketing buzz word, then all the other youtubers started making videos of QHD phones and copying him by calling it 2k, and by now every uninformed non tech savvy person calls 1440p "2k" and it "must be right" because that's what everybody else and all the youtubers call it...... Back to common sense, the 2k, 4k, 5k, 8k terms all come from the longest part of the aspect ratio, meaning 16 from the 16:9 display, this is horizontal on monitors and vertical on mobile phones because of the shape of our hands.
We all can at least universally agree that 3840x2160 is "4k", the largest number, aka the 3840 is rounded up to 4000, hence 4k.... and with some high resolution laptop screens we have 2880x1800 which is rounded up to and called "3k", then we also have 5k which is 5120x2880 and 8k which is 7680x4320.... we can see that doubling the horizontal and vertical pixels quadruples the amount of pixels, 4k has four times less pixels than 8k........ well guess what... 1920x1080 is exactly half of 4k in both dimensions, hence 4 times smaller and it is rounded up to 2k as with all the other resolutions. 2560x1440 is 2.5k, and guess what..... that is exactly twice the height and width of 5120x2880 which is called 5k.........

Very basic second grade maths that celebrities that know absolutely nothing about technology (especially the mobile side of people who are clueless) decide to spread false information they have no clue about and everybody follows steps, before you know it, the incorrect term is "officially" recognized by the community who didn't bother to think it before conforming. Biggest pet peeve of mine

And the iphone 7 has long since been the speed test king....... the iphone 6s before that also beat every single android phone. The phone that beat the iphone 7 was the oneplus 5. The 6 doesn't exist

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #816 of 1,526
We already talked about 1080p being 2k last year multiple times, I even wrote a short essay explaining all the nuances of a display. Everybody calls 1080p "2k" because firstly that's what the popular and quite frankly schiity and terrible youtuber "mkbhd" called it and what oppo dubbed it as because they wanted to make a marketing buzz word, then all the other youtubers started making videos of QHD phones and copying him by calling it 2k, and by now every uninformed non tech savvy person calls 1440p "2k" and it "must be right" because that's what everybody else and all the youtubers call it...... Back to common sense, the 2k, 4k, 5k, 8k terms all come from the longest part of the aspect ratio, meaning 16 from the 16:9 display, this is horizontal on monitors and vertical on mobile phones because of the shape of our hands.
We all can at least universally agree that 3840x2160 is "4k", the largest number, aka the 3840 is rounded up to 4000, hence 4k.... and with some high resolution laptop screens we have 2880x1800 which is rounded up to and called "3k", then we also have 5k which is 5120x2880 and 8k which is 7680x4320.... we can see that doubling the horizontal and vertical pixels quadruples the amount of pixels, 4k has four times less pixels than 8k........ well guess what... 1920x1080 is exactly half of 4k in both dimensions, hence 4 times smaller and it is rounded up to 2k as with all the other resolutions. 2560x1440 is 2.5k, and guess what..... that is exactly twice the height and width of 5120x2880 which is called 5k.........

Very basic second grade maths that celebrities that know absolutely nothing about technology (especially the mobile side of people who are clueless) decide to spread false information they have no clue about and everybody follows steps, before you know it, the incorrect term is "officially" recognized by the community who didn't bother to think it before conforming. Biggest pet peeve of mine

And the iphone 7 has long since been the speed test king....... the iphone 6s before that also beat every single android phone. The phone that beat the iphone 7 was the oneplus 5. The 6 doesn't exist

Ok so wait, my HTC 10's screen is "2K", but you're saying there's no difference between it and a Sony Xperia screen?? I think I remember you saying something but that is so confusing b/c like EVERYONE goes by the 2nd number not the 1st one, but I guess it's not confusing b/c for 4K people focus on the first #. But man, trying to explain this to everyday people..........forget about it. lol

Well a belated cheers to iPhone then! And cheers to OnePlus! As you can tell, I know nothing about OnePlus. LOL

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #817 of 1,526
Ok so wait, my HTC 10's screen is "2K", but you're saying there's no difference between it and a Sony Xperia screen?? I think I remember you saying something but that is so confusing b/c like EVERYONE goes by the 2nd number not the 1st one, but I guess it's not confusing b/c for 4K people focus on the first #. But man, trying to explain this to everyday people..........forget about it. lol

Well a belated cheers to iPhone then! And cheers to OnePlus! As you can tell, I know nothing about OnePlus. LOL
no............ if you read what I said, I specifically said 1440p is NOT 2k...... NOT
I said 1080p is 2k... I didn't mention your htc at all since it has a 1440x2560 screen...... therefore if you read my above post it is clearly 2.5k since 2560x1440 is 2.560 aka 2.5k

come on... I literally wrote a paragraph explaining why 2560x1440 is not 2k...

It is not confusing at all because the first number of 4k is 2160p....... you don't see anyone calling it 2k........ because 2160x3840 is 4k. I even explained that the largest number equals the K number... The aspect ratio never changed, like I already said, 2160x3840 aka 4k is literally twice the number of pixels from 1080x1920 both horizontally and vertically

I never said there was no difference between 1080 vs 1440........ There is..... if the screen is large enough or you put your face close enough to the screen. This is a completely different subject that is irrelevant to what I was talking about

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #818 of 1,526
no............ if you read what I said, I specifically said 1440p is NOT 2k...... NOT
I said 1080p is 2k... I didn't mention your htc at all since it has a 1440x2560 screen...... therefore if you read my above post it is clearly 2.5k since 2560x1440 is 2.560 aka 2.5k

come on... I literally wrote a paragraph explaining why 2560x1440 is not 2k...

It is not confusing at all because the first number of 4k is 2160p....... you don't see anyone calling it 2k........ because 2160x3840 is 4k. I even explained that the largest number equals the K number... The aspect ratio never changed, like I already said, 2160x3840 aka 4k is literally twice the number of pixels from 1080x1920 both horizontally and vertically

I never said there was no difference between 1080 vs 1440........ There is..... if the screen is large enough or you put your face close enough to the screen. This is a completely different subject that is irrelevant to what I was talking about

I give up. lol

Jul 10, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #820 of 1,526
actually the XZ premium was the first android phone to beat the iphone 7. And right now the Oneplus5 and the XZ premium are the two fastest phones in the world.

I just ordered the Sony X for 250 dollars it should arrive here tomorrow. Will keep it till IFA 2017 and see what comes out. XZP 4k display though...

XZ1 will definitely have huge battery gain like I said before due to more effecient panel and the 835 being energy effecient too as well as all the memory components. Coupled with a lower resolution screen we will see great battery life. but I honestly find the 4k display very tempting since it doesnt have terrible battery life anyways.

Jul 10, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #821 of 1,526
actually the XZ premium was the first android phone to beat the iphone 7. And right now the Oneplus5 and the XZ premium are the two fastest phones in the world.

I just ordered the Sony X for 250 dollars it should arrive here tomorrow. Will keep it till IFA 2017 and see what comes out. XZP 4k display though...

XZ1 will definitely have huge battery gain like I said before due to more effecient panel and the 835 being energy effecient too as well as all the memory components. Coupled with a lower resolution screen we will see great battery life. but I honestly find the 4k display very tempting since it doesnt have terrible battery life anyways.

Where did you see that the XZ Premium beat out the iPhone 7? I've not see that one yet.

Cool on Sony X.

Yeah we'll have to see if Sony continues the XZ Premium's 4K HDR thing or if they revert back to 1080p.

Jul 11, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #822 of 1,526
Where did you see that the XZ Premium beat out the iPhone 7? I've not see that one yet.

Cool on Sony X.

Yeah we'll have to see if Sony continues the XZ Premium's 4K HDR thing or if they revert back to 1080p.
sony XZP and Oneplus5 are neck and neck. every reviewer always notes of Sony's really fast software.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back