Sony announces the "Just ear" brand of custom IEMs
Oct 25, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #16 of 471
I found the tuning of the "monitoring" IEMs to be excellent, especially considering it is a prototype and was not customized. I thought the "listening" tuning was terrible. I did not listen to the "dance." 

For reference I have never heard a BA that I liked. Probably I am hypersensitive to the issues of having several drivers (I spent a lot of time designing crossovers for speaker systems). But I thought the "monitoring" IEM was absolutely coherent and time aligned. 

in the final analysis, I am disappointed with the Z7, which came close but missed the mark. But I am pleased Sony is pushing the accelerator hard. This IEM has the potential to be a strong product.

Oct 25, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #21 of 471
The Sony XBA H3s I got for half price put my full size cans to shame (Sony MDR V55, Logitech UE6000 with FiiO E07k Andes amp) in all regards but size of soundstage, so the customs should impress.

Oct 25, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #23 of 471
I'm not feeling the 'tennis racquet' form factor myself.
It looks like it would be a PITA with a hat, or maybe even glasses.
It's interesting that Sony are getting into CIEM's though, as I do like the sound of many of their products, I like the idea of a 'master of all trades' hybrid CIEM, and the machined metal look is always cool.
It's just such a shame that Sony IEM's often look like you've stuck something in your ear that doesn't belong there and is struggling to escape.

Oct 25, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #26 of 471

Looks like they put on these universal sleeves in order for everyone to audition them... supposedly they are to become custom IEMs based on ear impressions taken by an audiologist.
But for the purpose of the exhibition they fitted them with universal sleeves...
Interested to see how they will distribute them outside Japan.

Oct 25, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #27 of 471
  Finally Sony has stepped into the market of CIEM. I guess Shure will be the next.
I'm really excited about the design of the cable so that you can twist it, as well as the venting for the diaphragm.
Will get one if the price is acceptable!

Shure's CIEM version is already here (as a removable custom sleeve option) - the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves (SCS) are custom fitted to your ears and works with 99% of the current and past Shure models.

I am looking forward to demoing the Sony CIEM (universal demo version) at a California Head-Fi meet in the future (crossing fingers) as it would be great if the U.S. market could have a listen and decide for themselves if the CIEM will be on their next purchase short list.

Oct 25, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #29 of 471
  Wow, these look really sharp!

Honestly, Shure's universals fit so damn well that I doubt they need to make customs :p

No doubt, Shure's universals do fit the majority of people with their stock tips and using the Westone foam and silicone assortment pack helps as well, but no sizes-fit-all tips fit me perfectly (especially with my cauliflower ear), so the third-party preferred/partnered custom sleeve and C/IEM company Sensaphonics took care of that, as SQ, fit, seal and isolation of the SCS improved for the better.

Oct 25, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #30 of 471
I have Shures and my customs have a much better, more comfortable fit.  It depends on the anatomy of your ears but if you have even a little trouble with universals you might find (like I have) that customs are more comfortable and result in much lower levels of ear fatigue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back