Sony Announced NWZ-A820 series.....finally 16GB Sony DAP's
May 27, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #421 of 477
just keep windows updated. think media player 11 has to be installed for the media transfer protocol to work
you dont need to use mp11 though. just drag/drop in explorer or use something else. winamp works for one.

May 27, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #422 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by 0roo0roo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just keep windows updated. think media player 11 has to be installed for the media transfer protocol to work
you dont need to use mp11 though. just drag/drop in explorer or use something else. winamp works for one.

One of the things that stood out to me about the Sony was the prospect of not having to install undesired software just to transfer files. Thanks for the info.

May 28, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #423 of 477
well trying the player out for a bit longer, i notice the video is actually a bit washed out.

i know its not the screen limitation, when one brings up the seek bar at the bottom its black is darker than the black on the video, which is especially noticeable when the content is letterboxed. i wonder if they'll fix this with a new firmware? i think some reviewers don't notice because the included video sample is full screen making it less noticeable.

May 28, 2008 at 9:24 AM Post #424 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The software has preset for the different devices in easy mode so thats what I use. I think they are MP4's though.

yea it has limited settings as i remember. i tried it again, its mpeg4.
i tried doing h264 again on the walkman, it failed like last time. 512kbps 320x240 psp settings in xilisoft converter, tried level 1.0-1.3, all fail to play:p almost any bitrate in mpeg4 is fine though, dunno whats up with the cranky h264 support.

the fifa demo video that comes with it is Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 320x240 29.97fps [Video]
Audio: AAC 48000Hz stereo 1536Kbps [Audio]
so somethings gotta work

May 28, 2008 at 10:00 AM Post #425 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did you buy that case?
TIA
smily_headphones1.gif

The clear case is the official Sony one, in some countries you can buy it off sonystyle.com, in others like Denmark and possibly USA it is not available.
I asked my local Sony store but they cannot take it home.
I bought it off ebay, seller ace_of_bicycle2004 - silly name but it arrived from Japan 3 days later by express post, bubble packed, in original packaging inside so I am happy.

The soft case is from Burning Love - Lifestyle Accessoires - Home of the Smoking Pouch!
The site is in German, I am sure I once saw it in English as well but I can't find it now.
Even if it says "for iphone" or whatever they do all their cases in custom sizes at the same price as listed.
I ordered from them 3 times, they are reliable, not sure if they ship outside of Europe but possibly. If you need help ordering due to German PM me since I speak it a little.

May 28, 2008 at 10:09 AM Post #426 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The NWZA728 is available at my local Best Buy and I am considering buying one but I want to confirm that I would not need to install any software in order to transfer songs to the Walkman. Is this correct?

You can drag-and-drop, it works fine, for some mysterious reason the "year" tag of your mp3's does not transfer but that's the only problem. Means that "time machine shuffle" does not work.

If you have WMP you can sync with that, in that case the "year" tag gets transferred over. You can also use Mediamonkey, I personally loathe that program but people here seem to like it, why I do not understand.

The player comes with a Sony program as well, it is very poor and you don't need to install it. In fact you don't need to install anything, cudos to Sony for this.

May 28, 2008 at 11:44 AM Post #428 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of the things that stood out to me about the Sony was the prospect of not having to install undesired software just to transfer files. Thanks for the info.

Its MTP on Windows but on OSX or Linux I think its UMS. Perhaps someone else can confirm this?

May 28, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #430 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its MTP on Windows but on OSX or Linux I think its UMS. Perhaps someone else can confirm this?

That´s correct although you can get the Walkman to work as UMS on Windows as well. The benefits are limited, however, as drag and drop works parallel to MTP syncing.

May 29, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #432 of 477
the $60 off at the sony style store was an instore discount that ended on monday, memorial day. i am so pissed off that i didn't haul myself over there over the weekend to check on it. missed it by a day. i've been keeping my a829 in the box trying to find a good deal on the a729. lowest price i see otherwise is still at vanns. anyone else find a better price?

May 31, 2008 at 8:31 AM Post #433 of 477
well got the cheapo silicon skin, it fits pretty well and all the buttons are still easy to press. the arm band is a bit short though, sorta only really works well as a fore arm band and no..i'm not muscled
wink.gif

still, decent for 7~bucks shipped.

Jun 1, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #434 of 477
Do any fellow sony 82x owners know if there are any plans for updates in firmware any time soon? Just curious
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #435 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do any fellow sony 82x owners know if there are any plans for updates in firmware any time soon? Just curious
biggrin.gif

x2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back