Sony Announced NWZ-A820 series.....finally 16GB Sony DAP's
Apr 16, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #271 of 477
Grats on your new a829!
biggrin.gif

That case is sweet looking but is so very expensive!
mad.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #272 of 477
The SonyStyle website sells the LCD screen protector (2 sheets) for 10 bucks, that should be sufficient to protect the device as the body itself is pretty scratch resistant (well the screen is fairly scratch resistant also). I've used one of those clear cover when I first bought my SE K750 phone, and it didn't last very long, so I don't recommend it.

Apr 16, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #273 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by keiron99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine's black. I'm still positive it's plastic.

This should help clear it up. The 818/808 have an aluminium body, which can feel 'plasticky' when you tap it. When I got my C700s, I thought the housing felt plasticky (even though it's aluminium) but I wasn't convinced it wasn't plastic till I felt how cold it was to the touch, and, um... swung them against the dishwasher to 'hear' what they sounded like
biggrin.gif

Plastic doesn't quite have the same coldness.

Apr 16, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #274 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This should help clear it up. The 818/808 have an aluminium body, which can feel 'plasticky' when you tap it. When I got my C700s, I thought the housing felt plasticky (even though it's aluminium) but I wasn't convinced it wasn't plastic till I felt how cold it was to the touch, and, um... swung them against the dishwasher to 'hear' what they sounded like
biggrin.gif

Plastic doesn't quite have the same coldness.

Nailed it. That was what I was going to say too, the coldness of metal
wink.gif

Apr 17, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #277 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by natim9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks!
That is quite expensive though...32$+16$ for shipping and an extra 9$ for a stupid tax for EMS shipment make it a total of 57$
eek.gif
for a case!!!
I guess I'll wait for someone else to sell it

Cost me $13 for shipping. Paid $45 in total. ANd quite frankly, I've done plenty of business with Japan sellers and you get things quickly.

Apr 17, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #280 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by FenderP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cost me $13 for shipping. Paid $45 in total. ANd quite frankly, I've done plenty of business with Japan sellers and you get things quickly.

I guess I'll just have to wait for more sellers...this one is pretty expensive, 27$ for a case that costs 20$, bet I could buy it soon from another one save close to 30$ total
Just have to be little more careful for a while
tongue.gif

Apr 21, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #282 of 477
I was also wondering if the 829 works with Vista 64. I still have mines on preorder from vanns but I also have vista 64 on my lappy. It would be great if any 829 owners with vista 64 could chime in.

Thanks.

Apr 21, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #284 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by calvin91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any of you canadians looked in a sony store recently?? do they have them in stock? and do they have white? thx

I'm in the Montreal area & bought my NWZ-A829 almost 2 weeks ago at the Sony Style boutique in Laval. They only had 1 black in stock & another black in a showcase. Was looking for the 729 model (16GB without BlueTooth) but the store clerk told me it was not available in Canada (verified Sonystyle.ca & it confirms what I was told). You can only have the non-BT (716 4GB & 728 8GB) models in Canada at this point in time.

Having all my music compressed in WMA Lossles, I was looking for a 16GB model since WMA lossless uses up more space than MP3. After looking at different options (Creative, Samsung, Ipod, Cowon), I decided to bring my Sure SE-420 earphones to different stores in order to try different players. I found the Sony was leaps ahead of the competition in sound quality (at least to my taste). The #1 element I was looking for was sound quality, so the 829Walkman was an obvious choice for me, even if I don't need BT.

One big problem though: I was assured by the store clerk that I could use my WMA Lossless files on this and it turns out I cannot. You can only use WMA compressed at 192 kbps (the package & the website are unclear on this , only stating the Walkman is compatible with WMA). So this forces me into having to convert the albums I want to put on my Walkman back into WAV...or to sacrifice a bit of sound quality and convert them to MP3 320 kbps (CBR): big waste of time. I hope Sony realizes their mistake & gives us a firmware update to allow at least one format of Lossless compression to use on the Walkman (even if it was not WMA, I would happily convert to FLAC if Sony decided to support it).

The software included with the Walkman only supports conversions to MP3 256 kbps or WMA 192 kbps. On top of it, the software does not support video conversion unless you pay to upgrade it to the "pro" version. So I can say it is pretty much useless for me. I just drag & drop from Windows Explorer.

Still, if sound quality is the most important factor for you in the purchase of a DAP, I recommend the Walkman very strongly. I just love it!

P.S.: Can anyone recommend a good freeware to convert AVI or MPEG to MP4?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back