Sony Announced NWZ-A820 series.....finally 16GB Sony DAP's
Apr 11, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #242 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadHazard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is NOT from personal experience (so don't take it as facts), but from what I've heard the way it's designed gives it a somewhat more plasticky (and with that comes cheap) feel. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about though, but it may not feel quite as rock solid and tough as the A81x.

My 818 is plastic, and cheap feeling. It certainly is not rock solid and tough as you describe. Were some built in metal bodies?

Apr 11, 2008 at 11:59 AM Post #244 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by keiron99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 818 is plastic, and cheap feeling. It certainly is not rock solid and tough as you describe. Were some built in metal bodies?

Your 818 is plastic??? The 61x series was plastic, not the 80x/81x series.

Are you saying your whole unit is made of plastic?

This is the first time I've ever heard the 818 is made of plastic. It's identical to the 808 (bar the software) and that was definitely not plastic and didn't feel cheap at all. It's very well built and sturdy.

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #245 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your 818 is plastic??? The 61x series was plastic, not the 80x/81x series.

Are you saying your whole unit is made of plastic?

Yes. Absolutely, 100%. It's plastic. I haven't seen one that isn't plastic (here in the UK).

I think the chromed bit that runs around the middle may be metal (but the chroming on it isn't that special) but the back, front and buttons are most definitely plastic.

Apr 11, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #247 of 477
They are still very sturdy devices. I think those sony devices are very strongely built. I think they have the best built quality together with the ipod touch and iphone.

I have owned cowon, samsung, iriver, philips and creative playërs amongst others and think the iphone, ipod touch and the sony's have the best built quality

Greetz

Apr 11, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #249 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by selfnoise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The NWZ-A818 has plastic buttons, but the entire front and back is made of magnesium, not plastic. I think you guys are confused.

I hope you're right... I just ordered the A818 off Sonystyle.com for ~$140 shipped and taxed. Decided to go for it over the 72x/82x series. Ultimately, I didn't care about bluetooth, or the bigger screen, and was also concerned about it feeling plasticky (which was the impression I got from photos and reading around online).

Keiron99, have you had a chance to compare your 818 to the new line, build-wise?

Meh, either way, I think I got a pretty decent deal.

Apr 12, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #250 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by selfnoise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The NWZ-A818 has plastic buttons, but the entire front and back is made of magnesium, not plastic. I think you guys are confused.

Well they've done a pretty good job of making it look and feel exactly like plastic!

Is there any way of definitively testing this? Is magnesium magnetic or anything?

Apr 12, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #251 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sceleris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keiron99, have you had a chance to compare your 818 to the new line, build-wise?

No. The new line isn't in the shops here in the UK yet, at least not around my neck of the woods.

Apr 13, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #252 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by keiron99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well they've done a pretty good job of making it look and feel exactly like plastic!

Is there any way of definitively testing this? Is magnesium magnetic or anything?

What color were you lookng at? The black A810 doesn't feel like plastic at all, but the pink one does...

Apr 13, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #253 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loc13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What color were you lookng at? The black A810 doesn't feel like plastic at all, but the pink one does...

Mine's black. I'm still positive it's plastic.

Apr 13, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #254 of 477
Just ordered the 729 from B&H.....I hope it will be worth all the shipping time and extra customs.

Btw, how much does the ex82 really worth? how much do you think I'll need to invest pair of new earphones to get a better pair?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back