Sony Announced NWZ-A820 series.....finally 16GB Sony DAP's
Mar 29, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #151 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm trying to figure out how useful the bluetooth would be.

It would be nice to remotely stream music through the speakers, but you'd need a bluetooth adapter for your speaker right?
3.5mm bluetooth adapter to fit in the aux input? .. and a cheap solution would probably come with a pretty cruddy integrated dac, am I right?
Unless I can get a usb/ or optical/coax bluetooth adapter to connect directly to my soundcard, external dac, or receiver... would that be possible?

bleh.. chicago tax brings this up $17 more... tax + 10% off will get me $2 off of retail... are there any other reliable retailers(online preferably) that have it on sale closer to $180 ish or lower?

Which version are you referring to? J&R is a very reputable retailer, they have the A829 for $280, and the A728 for $190. They only charge sales tax for shipment to NY.

Mar 29, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #152 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm trying to figure out how useful the bluetooth would be.

It would be nice to remotely stream music through the speakers, but you'd need a bluetooth adapter for your speaker right?
3.5mm bluetooth adapter to fit in the aux input? .. and a cheap solution would probably come with a pretty cruddy integrated dac, am I right?
Unless I can get a usb/ or optical/coax bluetooth adapter to connect directly to my soundcard, external dac, or receiver... would that be possible?

bleh.. chicago tax brings this up $17 more... tax + 10% off will get me $2 off of retail... are there any other reliable retailers(online preferably) that have it on sale closer to $180 ish or lower?

If you are not looking for bluetooth and 8 gb version, you might as well as look at the A818 model. the 820's are only .4" larger and bit more battery. The players probably sound similar and the features are close to the same. You can get the A818 from Sonystyle.com for 129.99$ after using the follow coupon.

Best Deal - Sony Style: Sony Walkman NWZ-A818BLK 8GB Video MP3 Player $130 shipped

Just something to consider, thats all. The only reason i would want the A820's is for 16gb memory capacity.

Mar 29, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #153 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by umgoblue2008 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just something to consider, thats all. The only reason i would want the A820's is for 16gb memory capacity.

Which bring us back to my original point. The only difference between the A829 and A729 is bluetooth, and the price difference is only $20. Would anyone get the A729 just so they can save $20? I can see Sony dropping the price of the A729 pretty soon.

Mar 29, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #154 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loc13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which bring us back to my original point. The only difference between the A829 and A729 is bluetooth, and the price difference is only $20. Would anyone get the A729 just so they can save $20? I can see Sony dropping the price of the A729 pretty soon.

I would hope so. Still, i think the whole new A82x and A72x are overpriced. After the rumored 100$ drop of iphones/ipod touches (i would think its next week after CTIA). Then you're looking at a 16gb ipod touch for the same price of A729 or A829. I hope sony drops both by at least 50$, maybe then it will be competitive.

Mar 29, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #155 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by umgoblue2008 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would hope so. Still, i think the whole new A82x and A72x are overpriced. After the rumored 100$ drop of iphones/ipod touches (i would think its next week after CTIA). Then you're looking at a 16gb ipod touch for the same price of A729 or A829. I hope sony drops both by at least 50$, maybe then it will be competitive.

If that's the case, maybe I should hold on to the A728 for a couple weeks, and see if the price drops. I really like the A720/A820 design over the A810's.

Mar 29, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #156 of 477
Hey guys, I know this may not seem important, but it is for me. Does this new player have a sleep timer? I hate to waste battery life, and I'd really like to have this function. Thanks!

Mar 29, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #158 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loc13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If that's the case, maybe I should hold on to the A728 for a couple weeks, and see if the price drops. I really like the A720/A820 design over the A810's.

From what I can see, the ergonomics are better on the A810, if you're right handed that is
wink.gif

Mar 29, 2008 at 9:38 AM Post #160 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by kite7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I can see, the ergonomics are better on the A810, if you're right handed that is
wink.gif

Yes I have played with an A810 in SonyStyle store and BB, the button layout is indeed more ergonomic. I don't have trouble using the A728 though. While 0.4" of screen real estate may not sound all that much, but it feels quite a bit bigger over the A810 for some reason... Oh well, can't go wrong with either model!

Mar 29, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #164 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by novasol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can any Headfi'ers report on the sound quality difference between the 810 and the new 820 series?

Accoding to generationmp3:
Quote:

Here is the paragraph long awaited by many… The A820 has Does the same or better sound quality than the A810?

We will make unfortunate, but to have had two players during our tests, the sound quality of the A820 is a little below that of the A810! We even say it is between the A810 and S615…

Sony does not seem to have changed audio chip, then perhaps it is due to the introduction of hardware, the way it is organized in the box, but we have seen a slight breath on the A820. This has been noted with headphones intra upmarket very sensitive (Westone UM2 with tip molded Earsonics and Earsonics MS2-IFI).

But worry then, the sound quality of the A820 is still excellent! The distribution of the instruments is done well and with the severe acute are balanced.

(Translated version of http://labo.generationmp3.com/2008/02/27/test-avec-video-sony-walkman-nwz-a820/)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back