Sony Announced NWZ-A820 series.....finally 16GB Sony DAP's
Mar 9, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #76 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanypoos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does anyone know the australian release date...

I am guessing around September. Oh prices for Sony mp3 players are much higher, so expect to overpay too.
mad.gif

Mar 9, 2008 at 12:36 PM Post #77 of 477
i have checked out teh a900 series at stores and it is quite impressive - 16 and 8bg. the new one is similar (820 series) but it has no tv ability. it is thin and both are less hissy than the old 800 and 600 series by far. as for soundstage, i think they don't touch the ipod series, but the ability to drive low imp phones is incredible. they sounded wonderful even with my atrio m5 which are sort of made to eliminate the need for a great portable amp.

as for ipod touch being low in crosstalk, it is much better than most portables out there, getting 53-73 db rather than 40 for d2 and a around 40-50 for samsung, iriver etc.

the sony is definately one of the best though

Mar 12, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #78 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have checked out teh a900 series at stores and it is quite impressive - 16 and 8bg.

Is there a 900 series, or do you mean the 829?

Mar 13, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #82 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you explain to me why they've no internal FM then?

Eh? I'm merely commenting that the Sony range is confusing with long complicated and ever-changing model numbers.

Mar 13, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #83 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by keiron99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eh? I'm merely commenting that the Sony range is confusing with long complicated and ever-changing model numbers.

I don't see whats complicated. 900 series is Japan only.

Mar 13, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #84 of 477
Any number-based series will, for most people, be harder to remember than names. I.e. black iPod Nano 8GB versus Sony NWZS618FBLK. I know which one I think is more simple and easier to make sense of, especially assuming I had not studied Sony's way of numbering thinks

Mar 13, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #85 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by pank2002 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any number-based series will, for most people, be harder to remember than names. I.e. black iPod Nano 8GB versus Sony NWZS618FBLK. I know which one I think is more simple and easier to make sense of, especially assuming I had not studied Sony's way of numbering thinks

You could be talking about two entirely different Nanos. 2G or 3G.
wink.gif

Mar 13, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #87 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't see whats complicated. 900 series is Japan only.

So, why has the 900 series not been released elsewhere? What's different about it?

Here in the UK, I've got an "Argos" catalogue on my lap. I'm utterly bewildered by the range, and when the new range comes out and overlaps...heaven help. Life would be much simpler if they gave them proper names and a numeric suffix which indicated the capacity.

It's an indisputable fact as anyone in marketing will tell you that confusing the customer is not smart. Or maybe I'm just easily confused. Or both!

I still don't get your comment about Ipods (or Sony's for that matter) not having FM tuners? I've no idea why they don't include them. Very few mp3 players do, it seems. Interference issues, perhaps?

Mar 13, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #89 of 477
Quote:

So, why has the 900 series not been released elsewhere? What's different about it?

Here in the UK, I've got an "Argos" catalogue on my lap. I'm utterly bewildered by the range, and when the new range comes out and overlaps...heaven help. Life would be much simpler if they gave them proper names and a numeric suffix which indicated the capacity.

It's an indisputable fact as anyone in marketing will tell you that confusing the customer is not smart. Or maybe I'm just easily confused. Or both!

The range is shown here... I know the difference between them. But why they are named like that I have no idea.

Sony : WALKMAN® mp3 : United Kingdom

In fairness Apple iPods overlap between generations too. If said I had a 80GB iPod would that be a 5.5G or a 6G? How about a 30GB iPod?

iPod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:

I still don't get your comment about Ipods (or Sony's for that matter) not having FM tuners? I've no idea why they don't include them. Very few mp3 players do, it seems. Interference issues, perhaps?

I would say most of them do include a FM tuner. You said you understood the iPod range, so hence why I ask why no tuner. Because that doesn't make any sense to me.

Mar 15, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #90 of 477
Well it appears the new players will start shipping at the beginning of next week. I checked my account and they charged me for my player today. I checked sonystyle and estimated shipping on the new models is 3/17. review coming soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back