Sony Announced NWZ-A820 series.....finally 16GB Sony DAP's
Feb 27, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #61 of 477
i was really interested in getting the a818 a few weeks back. so i decided to troll the forums and the net for more info regarding this dap. i even went to the local sonystyle to get a feel for this. good thing i waited before biting the bullet. guess i have to wait a few weeks more to see this, and read in-depth reviews.

Feb 29, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #62 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by shwicf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone would comment the SQ of this A820? any specs yet? will it remain the sames as A81x series or better? i'm not too concern about the video, although i do like bigger screen.

Hmm Right now its hard to comment for SQ ,but I'm preety damn sure that it will sound like A80x series and A81x series .

Feb 29, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #63 of 477
Hi, I am interested in ugrading my ipod touch 8gb for a walkman A820. The touch sounds pretty good with my shure 530, though i have heard better things about the walkman A810. The one thing i dislike about my touch is the loud hissing noise between tracks, and i need something more than 8 gbs. I have heard the DSEE and clear bass works really well. Do you guys think there is a significant upgrade in sound quality from the Ipod touch to the A820 series?

Feb 29, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #65 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by umgoblue2008 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know if the A820 series supports podcasts?

No, not per se.
You can tag the genre of individual files as podcast but that´s about it.
I have owned an 8gig touch myself and switched to classic + 818. I also own the SE 530 that I really like a lot so I can give you some 1st hand experience.
You will hear some benign hiss on the 818 when you turn on the player but during playback at 8-10 volume (out of 30) it won´t be audible. The touch is a rattlesnake with SE 530 in comparison. The touch is a cool device that will evolve into a great wifi platform but touch interface + snr, frequency response, and crosstalk don´t make it the prime choice for on the road audio enjoyment. The numbers are better for the iphone, btw.
I´d sell the touch and buy the 818 as prices of that will come down shortly.
I belief there will be a price cut for the touch shortly with the 8gb unit being phased out. In september the 2nd gen touch will be unveiled. I´d check back then. Hopefully it will sound like the classic.

Feb 29, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #66 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by ceres /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, not per se.
You can tag the genre of individual files as podcast but that´s about it.
I have owned an 8gig touch myself and switched to classic + 818. I also own the SE 530 that I really like a lot so I can give you some 1st hand experience.
You will hear some benign hiss on the 818 when you turn on the player but during playback at 8-10 volume (out of 30) it won´t be audible. The touch is a rattlesnake with SE 530 in comparison. The touch is a cool device that will evolve into a great wifi platform but touch interface + snr, frequency response, and crosstalk don´t make it the prime choice for on the road audio enjoyment. The numbers are better for the iphone, btw.
I´d sell the touch and buy the 818 as prices of that will come down shortly.
I belief there will be a price cut for the touch shortly with the 8gb unit being phased out. In september the 2nd gen touch will be unveiled. I´d check back then. Hopefully it will sound like the classic.

Thanks for your input. I was pondering about selling my touch on ebay. Anyway, i have a dilemma: whether to sell it now and get A818, or wait till the end of march and get a 16 gb A820 series. But i do wanna ebay my touch before the rumored pricedrop...

Which has better sound quality in your opinion, the classic or A818?

Mar 1, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #67 of 477
A818 definitely. My Classic 80GB is better than expected, but its lesser sound quality is even evident with the A818's standard earphones. The iPod's earphones are barely worth the epithet hi-fi. To be explicit, I have also heard them both thru Shure SE530's. The Classic is also inferior soundwise compared to the iRiver H320 and Cowon X-5L, in my experience (muddled midrange, lacking in dynamics, just to name two vices).

Mar 3, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #68 of 477
I went on sonystyle.com today and discovered that you can pre-order these bad boys. And in short head-fi got the best of me
rolleyes.gif
and I went ahead and pre-ordered a NWZ-A728. Cant wait till April now.

Mar 3, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #69 of 477
Yeah,

You can pre-order indeed!!

16GB model for 319 euros. And the package includes the Bleutooth headphones!!! They cost about 70 euros, so 319-70 = 249 for the 16GB model!!

That's a pretty decent price! I just thought there would be a model without the bleutooth headphones, but I guess that doesn't include the 16GB model. Sony spoiled the fun already, but nevertheless it's a pretty nice player!!

Mar 3, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #70 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by STONER1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went on sonystyle.com today and discovered that you can pre-order these bad boys. And in short head-fi got the best of me
rolleyes.gif
and I went ahead and pre-ordered a NWZ-A728. Cant wait till April now.

do you have to pay for it outright? does the site says when exactly in april they are going to be available?

Mar 3, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #71 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundfreq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you have to pay for it outright? does the site says when exactly in april they are going to be available?

They will charge you when it ships. The "on or available around date" is 3/28 plus standard shipping so by mid april at the very latest. Im sure by then the hype will be much greater and there should be tons of reviews rolling out. I plan to pair the player with the Denon ah-c700's and also the Audio Technicha ATH-ES7's.

Mar 9, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #75 of 477
I already have the a818 and tempted to get this but......

There is still to efficient lossless codec, WAV files are inconvenient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back