Sony Announced NWZ-A820 series.....finally 16GB Sony DAP's
Feb 19, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #16 of 477
Nothing much for a upgrade.This is sad IMO .
frown.gif
.I will stick with my A806 .

Why can't they change shape etc .Same boring thing .
Until or unless someone needs blue tooth.

I think I can pass this one as well.Until sony comes up with something great I'm not buying their gears now .

Ok shape is nice ,but Sony is known for its nice and new designs.What are they doing ?Looks like SONY has fired their Walkman designers .So,My last hope is also gone and I guess now I will have to buy a Cowon .
frown.gif

Feb 19, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #17 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by stuge(original) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing much for a upgrade.This is sad IMO .
frown.gif
.I will stick with my A806 . Why can't they change shape etc .Same boring thing .

stuge, it is an upgrade. Bigger screen, longer battery and video life and all in a 16GB version.

And the shape? I love the 808 shape and styling. But the new model can't be exactly the same unless they've made the screen bigger and moved the buttons further down to keep it the same size, which I don't think they have.

The diagram showed it was slighty bigger than the 808.

Bluetooth: Don't want or need it - would rather have had gapless. . .

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #20 of 477
If the shape of the 818 works brilliantly, why change it? Apple have been selling basically the same ipod form factor since it was released, just updated as newer tech and features were available.

This appears just in time to replace my sadly dieing HD1, one question I do have though - all my music is in atrac3+ via sonicstage (the HD1 was origonally only atrac, only later updates added mp3) so will I be able to use this?
I know there was the a818 and a808 which supported drag and drop or sonicstage, but was atrac supported in both?
Even if I don't *have* to use sonicstage, it works perfectly for me and does all I need, so it would be nice to be able to keep it. I especially don't want to have to re rip all my music to mp3 and have to start over (in which case I would be better off trying to find an HD5 or something that I can use with my existing library)

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #21 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And the shape?.

Yes, I know its an upgrade and I love collecting Walkmans ,but I was expecting a thing like A919 minus TV and about its shape its nice ,but I feel they shoudl have done something else to it .

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #22 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Narcosynthesis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the shape of the 818 works brilliantly, why change it? Apple have been selling basically the same ipod form factor since it was released, just updated as newer tech and features were available.

That's the reason for me I-pod shape is boring to me .
rolleyes.gif

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #23 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Narcosynthesis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....This appears just in time to replace my sadly dieing HD1, one question I do have though - all my music is in atrac3+ via sonicstage (the HD1 was origonally only atrac, only later updates added mp3) so will I be able to use this?
I know there was the a818 and a808 which supported drag and drop or sonicstage, but was atrac supported in both?...

Only the A808 supports ATRAC and not drag and drop. The new A818 doesn't uspport ATRAC but does support drag and drop.

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #24 of 477
the japanese version is atrac compatible, sonicstage is still alive and well in japan, 2 things bother me, the proprietary connector and the lack of lossless support, its a good mainstream player, but it wont convince me to put down my D2 yet,

on the other hand, it if had cellphone pairing, it might convince me.

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #25 of 477
Quote:

Probably not. It does have a bigger soundstage than the Sony, and I went through hell to get it as you know!!! And even more hell trying to load it up. The memory still lingers
frown.gif

Anyway, I'm not going to make any hasty decisions just yet. I do find that I'm handling the Zune very very gently for fear of damaging it - but the Sony (whcih has a clear hard case) takes quite a bashing without me worrying about it.

This is so funny...I could have written the exact same thing. I am sure HD DAPs are much more durable than I picture them in my head, but I find myself using my Sony A818 a lot more than my Zune 80 for fear of damaging it. I have to think this through, but the new 16GB might be the ticket for me.

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #26 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the japanese version is atrac compatible, sonicstage is still alive and well in japan, 2 things bother me, the proprietary connector and the lack of lossless support, its a good mainstream player, but it wont convince me to put down my D2 yet,

on the other hand, it if had cellphone pairing, it might convince me.

Its in Japanese though isn't it? Like the A919

D2 doesn't have full buttons otherwise I choose it over the Sony.

Feb 19, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #27 of 477
biggrin.gif
Quote:

I don't use the hold button on the Sony. I turn it 'off' (into its deep deep sleep mode) by pressing and holding the 'power/off' button and waiting for the 'See you later' message to pop up! It powers up in a nano second anyway!

ihatepopupads
: I know. It IS a fine unit. I'd like to be able to abuse it just a bit more without being paranoid I'll damage it. It's good for when I'm just sitting down and doing nothing else. Although I can use the Sony when I'm wandering around - if I'm using the Zune at the time, I have to switch units.

Life is hard you know
biggrin.gif

P.S What happened to yours? Did you get rid of it?

Life is hard! My house got robbed a while ago and the got all my portable audio stuff (including zune 80 and sony 818) plus 2 xbox 360's a ps3 and a wi and the worst was a steve vai gem guitar that steve signed for me
frown.gif

Anyway It was fun to buy some more stuff with the insurance money- I even tried out some new daps (cowon d2 clix 2), but I stick with the zune 80 for around the house and the sony for portable use, but I might sell the sony I just got
biggrin.gif
and get the 16 gig'er. I think the zune 80 is pretty tough overall and you could always get a case
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Zune 80 is smooth, but detailed with iems, I love the sound sig. and sony is more upfront and raw, a good one 2 punch in my HO, now I just have to wait for my pico
frown.gif
bye bye $$$

Feb 19, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #28 of 477
*edit*

Engadget article removed, never noticed the link in the OP first post.

Engadget say's it's availble on pre order from sony-style.com but I can't find any mention of it on their site.

Can't wait though, this should be good !!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #29 of 477
They should upgrade their B1xx/E1xx line. Make a 4gb or 8gb version of it. Thats pimp sh** right there.

With everyone digging the clips and shuffles, I strongly believe that it would be a good contender

Feb 19, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #30 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only the A808 supports ATRAC and not drag and drop. The new A818 doesn't uspport ATRAC but does support drag and drop.

Ah, I know one supported drag and drop over sonicstage, but I didn't know they had completely dropped the atrac support

Heres for a new 808 then...
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back