Sony 3K or Senn 600 or Senn 650?
Sep 30, 2003 at 9:30 PM Post #211 of 225
now now now Sov, this is not a competition
biggrin.gif
mad.gif

plus, i don't think anything will ever kill out the CD3000's...unless and until there are no more to go around!

Oct 1, 2003 at 12:45 AM Post #212 of 225
There will be always members that would like to give them a try and maybe they will like them, but I'm assuming that now we will have a huge avalanche of the HD650 around, a natural and logical thing, as it is a new can, made by a very prestigious company, the very few reviews that I have read, were very favorable, etc...and given the HD600 cult for years, and years, here, it is not very difficult to believe, that in the next (or even more) years we will have nothing to post, or read, here but something against or on favor, of the HD650 ONLY.

For now CD3KLF will keep on working on the background....so good luck with the new "Sennheiser Prince", and try to enjoy the new monarchy
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 7, 2003 at 8:05 PM Post #213 of 225
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
That phrase goes waaaay back -- much earlier than even 311's first recording.

And the way 311 sings that phrase is this:

"Shame on you, fool me once; shame on me, fool me twice"

I stand corrected on this one.
redface.gif

I've never heard anything by 311 personally. The line "Shame on you (if you) fool me once; shame on me (if you) fool me twice" was from a Ms. L. Rimes song "Life Goes On" that I've heard way too often on so-called Top-40 radio.

Anyhoo, back to the CD3K vs. HD6## debate:
They're different from, not better or worse than, the others. Personally, I couldn't stand the overly resonant "ringing" caused by the resonance-prone closed-back earcups.

Oct 7, 2003 at 8:24 PM Post #214 of 225
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
There will be always members that would like to give them a try and maybe they will like them, but I'm assuming that now we will have a huge avalanche of the HD650 around, a natural and logical thing, as it is a new can, made by a very prestigious company, the very few reviews that I have read, were very favorable, etc...and given the HD600 cult for years, and years, here, it is not very difficult to believe, that in the next (or even more) years we will have nothing to post, or read, here but something against or on favor, of the HD650 ONLY.

Sovkiller, I apologized for calling CD-3000 users a "cult," now you should think about it. Maybe at least admit that the reason HD600s are so widespread here is because so many people like them. I mean, it's so easy to sell off a pair of cans and get new ones almost any time... do you think people keep their HD600s around just because they decorate the room? Give people some credit man. They fit the musical and sonic tastes of a lot of people around here. I wonder if you don't "get" the idea of what personal preference really is, or do you think the whole universe should revolve around your tastes... this seems to be a blind spot with you, but overall I respect you and your experience and opinions. Hope you're enjoying the music!
smily_headphones1.gif
3000smile.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2003 at 11:32 PM Post #215 of 225
My 2 cents:

I own both the CD3000 and the HD600. If no one else is in the room and there are no loud noises outside, I prefer the HD600 every time, hands down. The CD3000 is also a very good phone, and I reach for it when others are in the room with me, but the sound from the Senns just does it for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2003 at 2:19 AM Post #216 of 225
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
Sovkiller, I apologized for calling CD-3000 users a "cult," now you should think about it. Maybe at least admit that the reason HD600s are so widespread here is because so many people like them. I mean, it's so easy to sell off a pair of cans and get new ones almost any time... do you think people keep their HD600s around just because they decorate the room? Give people some credit man. They fit the musical and sonic tastes of a lot of people around here. I wonder if you don't "get" the idea of what personal preference really is, or do you think the whole universe should revolve around your tastes... this seems to be a blind spot with you, but overall I respect you and your experience and opinions. Hope you're enjoying the music!
smily_headphones1.gif
3000smile.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Did you see the smilies in my posts fewtch, I know the HD600 is a nice can, I had it once for a long time, and honestly I enjoyed it, until I got the the CD3000, it sounded very good, this is the 10000.......th time, I lost the account of how many times I have to explain the same, I know the world, is full of different tastes, and preferences, otherwise it will be pretty bored, don't you think? this is not new for anybody here, and that was a joke...

Now, apart of the joke, some people likes the HD600, some people likes the CD3000, the K1000, any can, but sometimes people are blind with the can they have on their hands, all of them have pros and cons, ALL OF THEM, including the CD3000 and the HD600, people who owned the HD600 seems not to be aware of those problems the HD600 has, many people here consider the HD600 as a "reference" for everything in audio, and this is not because of more people owns it, which would be logic at the end, but actually maybe there are another cans more popular around, and cheaper, Grado, AT, even Sony V6, Beyer, Etys, and they simply consider the HD600 as the top of the line in audio reproduction, IMO it is not a reference in any way, IMO it is not the best can out there in any way, the same Sennheiser changed the nature of its sound in the new HD650 (this is according to what I have read) to a more forward one, why? If they consider this can as a "reference", why "improving" it, you see? this is a simple contradiction, that the HD600 owners seem to ignore...
OTOH I do not see anything wrong in trying at least, that the people consider the CD3000, as a valid option, of a good and nice sounding can, and as an option for the replacement (or even improvement over) of the HD600, if they are not satisfied 100% with its sound, as this happen to me, and it is very likely, that many others that are looking for cables, amps, etc...out there, are experiencing the same, at least right now more people have listened and liked the CD3000, I wish you live around here to offer you an audition with mine....but I have nothing against who likes the HD600, and state this preference as such, and not trying to make it a reference for the headphone world.....now Peace....
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 8, 2003 at 4:53 AM Post #217 of 225
Sovkiller,
"reference" doesn't meen perfect. nothing that is aplified ain't perfect, it is human made
smily_headphones1.gif

many HD600 users know their headphones aren't perfect, but they consider them as reference level. well, i agree that there's some blindness.. but who cares? for who is meant to love the sonys on top of the senss and only wants to live with his senns, it's his loss.

i just wanted to add 2 points here about the CD3000 (=something informative)

1. what is your prefered volume level?
every cans perform different and will compare differently to others according to volume level.
the sonys seems to recieve their balance in a bit higher volume then the senns (which aren't here, ATM), IIRC.
2. the psychological benefits when getting into the listening session - more then everything, we are here to enjoy music. we are here to communicate with the music. screw the gear and the terms. (or= where are the days i enjoyed my aiwa mini-stereo?)
more then anything technical that i can say soundwize about the sonys, what i like best about them is that their quality is greatly revealed when having a real musical session.
it feels like the sonys builds something in me as long as the disc continues, much more then the senns. this is probably a great part of the great term: "cup of tea"
tongue.gif

as a CD3000 addict, i can tell you this:
i wouldn't like the sonys that much at all from listening to them in a meet.
well, i'm not trying to make a campain for these phones by making the thoughts of people who heard them in a meet invalid and make them buy it, in any way, i'm just posting my thoughts. because when i stop complaining about their faults, i have their charm to calm me down
cool.gif

Oct 8, 2003 at 4:22 PM Post #220 of 225
Quote:

Originally posted by cadobhuk
enuth of cd3000 vs hd600...how about cd3000 vs grado rs-1 or ms-pro or hp-1000?

Well, see the thread title
biggrin.gif

But I agree, CD3k vs. HD600 has been done to death now, everyone knows how everyone else feels, pretty much... so how about CD3k vs. other cans in a similar price range? HP-1000 maybe (they're no longer sold new), but maybe the Grado RS-1, also Etys, AKG K501 or K1000, hmmm... trouble is, not many headphones fit very well into the CD3k's price range, they are in kind of an unusual price bracket (for headphones) with few other phones there.

Oct 8, 2003 at 8:31 PM Post #221 of 225
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
Well, see the thread title
biggrin.gif

But I agree, CD3k vs. HD600 has been done to death now, everyone knows how everyone else feels, pretty much... so how about CD3k vs. other cans in a similar price range? HP-1000 maybe (they're no longer sold new), but maybe the Grado RS-1, also Etys, AKG K501 or K1000, hmmm... trouble is, not many headphones fit very well into the CD3k's price range, they are in kind of an unusual price bracket (for headphones) with few other phones there.

Well all those cans were compared also with the CD3000, in different threads before, just that this one, is not for those, read the tittle!!!! and SEARCH later.....
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Dec 28, 2003 at 11:14 AM Post #222 of 225
I am torn between these two. Coincidentally two reasons.
1.) Sound
2.) Comfort

Well the sound part is difficult for me to describe. The CD3Ks drives easier without an amp in my iHP-120, of course. Although I have an amp,

Dec 28, 2003 at 12:08 PM Post #223 of 225
I am torn between these two.

Coincidentally two reasons.
1.) Sound
2.) Comfort

1) Well the sound part is difficult for me to describe. The CD3Ks drives easier without an amp in my iHP-120, of course. Although I have a portable amp, the Dr Head(starter cheap/avail), which can drive the Senns, but even more to carry. With an Amp well I lean slightly toward the 650s. Without, CD3ks win. I am a hometheater enthusiast as well and comments prior suggest CD3K offers more versatility in this area, a small but nice benefit, since I often work late and like to watch a movie on occaission to wind down.

2.) Comfort - fabric vs Vinyl ?
Both are very comfortable at normal room temps. But I live in Tokyo which is hot/humid for 1/4 yr. Vinyl is easier to clean, but fabric breathes better.

Under $1K price, I could care-less. Would buy both if that was sensible, but doubt it.

Strange experience, after spending a day in Akihabara-Tokyo , where prices were not enticing, but facilities available for listening with my music and source iHP-120 and with/with-out Dr Head(very entry level amp), stopped by Yodabashi on my way home to contemplate my days listening, as well as price compare. Another Westerner, stops by while I am playing with the CD2000s(since have removable headphone cable, was able to plug my iHP in) no such luck with the CD3000s. Well the English-man, pops on the CD3000s, which I trialed earlier in Ahihabara, but he was stuck with store output. Asked what he thought, since I was also impressed with the CD2000s, but clearly CD3000s were better in sound, but 2Ks still decent. Anyway, the Eng-guy is more of a fanatice than me(I am a mere enthusiast with some $) who urged me to reconsider Senn-650s, which I also liked but requires an amp. With an amp was tough choice, really a toss-up depending on genre. I was advised with the cadras cable on a good source the 650s would exceed. The stranger is a vinyl jukie using a Name-amp so again more of an audiphile vs moi.(He did recommend this forum as well)

Uh side note, I was able to test some earphones Shure 1,2, 5s with my iHP-120. Was not impressed with the 1s, 2s so-so, 5s pretty good but expensive and not that good compared to full size headphones. Test conditions were less than ideal, so reserving judgement, discounting hygiene(proceeded home for q-tips/peroxide), was only place that allowed testing of these units! No E3s
smily_headphones1.gif
which guessing from the 2 to 5s differenece might be tempting.

Welcome input.

--tk
smily_headphones1.gif

p.s. It is not my wallet that is sorry, it is the darn time this pursuit requires to research/test, etc.... Just want to get the equip and enjoy! A good system today sounds is more enjoyable than a perfect/better potential future system. Prefer to be slightly behind bleeding egde so can upgrade after a reasonable depreciation period.

Dec 28, 2003 at 2:50 PM Post #224 of 225
Quote:

Originally posted by tk_suki
I am torn between these two.

Coincidentally two reasons.
1.) Sound
2.) Comfort

1) Well the sound part is difficult for me to describe. The CD3Ks drives easier without an amp in my iHP-120, of course. Although I have a portable amp, the Dr Head(starter cheap/avail), which can drive the Senns, but even more to carry. With an Amp well I lean slightly toward the 650s. Without, CD3ks win. I am a hometheater enthusiast as well and comments prior suggest CD3K offers more versatility in this area, a small but nice benefit, since I often work late and like to watch a movie on occaission to wind down.

2.) Comfort - fabric vs Vinyl ?
Both are very comfortable at normal room temps. But I live in Tokyo which is hot/humid for 1/4 yr. Vinyl is easier to clean, but fabric breathes better.

Under $1K price, I could care-less. Would buy both if that was sensible, but doubt it.

Strange experience, after spending a day in Akihabara-Tokyo , where prices were not enticing, but facilities available for listening with my music and source iHP-120 and with/with-out Dr Head(very entry level amp), stopped by Yodabashi on my way home to contemplate my days listening, as well as price compare. Another Westerner, stops by while I am playing with the CD2000s(since have removable headphone cable, was able to plug my iHP in) no such luck with the CD3000s. Well the English-man, pops on the CD3000s, which I trialed earlier in Ahihabara, but he was stuck with store output. Asked what he thought, since I was also impressed with the CD2000s, but clearly CD3000s were better in sound, but 2Ks still decent. Anyway, the Eng-guy is more of a fanatice than me(I am a mere enthusiast with some $) who urged me to reconsider Senn-650s, which I also liked but requires an amp. With an amp was tough choice, really a toss-up depending on genre. I was advised with the cadras cable on a good source the 650s would exceed. The stranger is a vinyl jukie using a Name-amp so again more of an audiphile vs moi.(He did recommend this forum as well)

Uh side note, I was able to test some earphones Shure 1,2, 5s with my iHP-120. Was not impressed with the 1s, 2s so-so, 5s pretty good but expensive and not that good compared to full size headphones. Test conditions were less than ideal, so reserving judgement, discounting hygiene(proceeded home for q-tips/peroxide), was only place that allowed testing of these units! No E3s
smily_headphones1.gif
which guessing from the 2 to 5s differenece might be tempting.

Welcome input.

--tk
smily_headphones1.gif

p.s. It is not my wallet that is sorry, it is the darn time this pursuit requires to research/test, etc.... Just want to get the equip and enjoy! A good system today sounds is more enjoyable than a perfect/better potential future system. Prefer to be slightly behind bleeding egde so can upgrade after a reasonable depreciation period.

Sound: I prefer the CD3000 by a good margin (but you already know that)...

Comfort: I have never tried any more comfortable headphones...

Vinyl vs. Cloth: In less than a year I had to replaced the DH600 pads, yes, they breath easier, but get dirty easier, and you have to wash them, while washing them, they get all rip off, along the join of the cloth with the vinyl. They have vinyl on the bottom, they replace them at no cost, but the warranty life on them in only 6 months, this was a hassle for me to the point that I was even trying to find a replacement, for a more durable one, but without success. I prefer also vinyl by a good margin, BTW the one used in the CD3000 is hot hot at all, I wear it for almost the whole day and I feel them no uncomfortable at all due the heat or contact with the skin...

Jan 10, 2004 at 7:59 PM Post #225 of 225
Re: Comfort, I find my HD600s very comfortable, in virtually all listening positions. My CD3000s, on the other hand, are quite comfortable when sitting/standing upright, but their weight, coupled with their lighter contact pressure, means that they shift around considerably if you decide to lie down, etc. with them on. I suspect that the HD650 will sit on your ears virtually identically to the HD600. Some people complain that the contact pressure of the HD600 is too high, but I've found that with use, and as the pads conform to your skull, this goes away.

Soundwise, with my gear, I prefer the HD600. Haven't tried the HD650 yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back