Sony 3K or Senn 600 or Senn 650?
Sep 22, 2003 at 6:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 225

tortie

Headphoneus Supremus
Aside from watching DVDs in our family's music room, I also watch DVD's in my room using my computer as a player with the video out connecting to my TV. With the hearo999 as the DTS processor/headphone amp, what would be a better headphone to use, a Sony 3K or Senn 600? I would eventually use this headphone as my main unit when I can phony-up more money to buy a good source and amp. Thanks
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2003 at 7:46 AM Post #2 of 225
well, among head-fiers, i heard that the hearo999 ain't really good, so not many people here have it. i would be suprised if more then 5.
if this set of headphones is a future investment, i would choose the right phones for me regardless of the current source, becaue you don't have enough solid comparative info for your current source.

Sep 22, 2003 at 12:25 PM Post #4 of 225
I would assume that you have listened extensively with both sets of cans to music you like on systems similar to the one you plan to employ. I am not familiar with the amp you list, but the low impedance of the CD3Ks provides an easier load for most amps than the HD600s. Of course, the CD3Ks are closed and the HD600s are open, so it's not like choosing between apples and apples. If isolation from external noise is important (or isolating others from your noise), the CD3Ks would have the edge. Many feel that equipping the HD600s with an aftermarket cable like the Cardas is beneficial/necessary; this will change you budget by at least $150USD. Finally, with the HD650 on the horizon, it may be possible in the near future to get some really good prices on HD600s when the lemmings head for the "new and improved" cans. HD600s are wonderful headphones.

Sep 22, 2003 at 12:34 PM Post #5 of 225
I have used both with my Pioneer Dolby Headphone processor and find the CD3Ks throw a more realistic and larger soundstage that seems to suit film viewing better than the the Senns. The brighter nature of the Sonys also makes dialogue more crisp and real sounding IMHO.

John

Sep 22, 2003 at 5:17 PM Post #6 of 225
tortie, i don't care for senns anymore.. you'll hear my review soon.
they were my first hi-fi experience and first headphones beyond earbuds - i found i wanted something else in a week..
the sony's holds enormous resolution. the HD600 (stock) can't touch them.

Sep 22, 2003 at 5:26 PM Post #8 of 225
For movies I think the CD3000 would be best.

Although I still prefer the 600 for classical.

Sep 22, 2003 at 5:33 PM Post #9 of 225
I agree with that... Sony CD3K and Senn 600's really aren't in the same league. Sony CD3K is really the next level above the Senn 600's.

True, they are open versus closed designs. However, from my experiences, it seems like although the Senns create a larger sound stage with its open design, the stage only extends from the left to the right.... and you do get the sense you are somehow separated, far away from the sound. It's a very laid back sound experience.

Sony CD3K is much more intimate, however, its soundstage not only extends from left to right, but front and back as well. It has a much more rounded sound extension. With a much more response bass and resolution. It is definitely not an "active" bass as say.. that I've noticed in Grados. It is a very, very neutral reproduction of what the sound is supposed to be like. As opposed to Grado's overly exciting nature, and Senns extremely laid back sound.

Perhaps when Senns 650 comes out, it will be a more adequate comparison between these two phones. However, there's no question which one of these phones is superior at the moment. If price is not an issue (they are in quite different price range as well), there's no reason not to go with CD3K.

Not to mention, the low impedence of the CD3K makes it a much more forgiving headphone than the Senns 600. Senns 600 takes a lot of power to drive to its full potential... Even then, a comparable set-up with a CD3K will sound better.

Sep 22, 2003 at 5:52 PM Post #10 of 225
Just to provide a bit of opposing opinion
wink.gif
I think the HD 600 are a step above the CD 3000, especially if you upgrade the cable. Better midrange, better musicality, more realistic soundstage, etc. The CD 3000 are good 'phones, don't get me wrong. I just happen to disagree with the comments above that the HD 600 "aren't in the same league as the CD 3000." Well, actually I do agree about that -- I just disagree which league is the better one
smily_headphones1.gif

(Remember, everything in this thread, including my comments, is opinion. Your best bet is to audition both in your own system.)

It is true that the CD 3000 are much easier to drive than the HD 600.

Sep 22, 2003 at 6:24 PM Post #11 of 225
Quote:

Originally posted by lindrone
I agree with that... Sony CD3K and Senn 600's really aren't in the same league. Sony CD3K is really the next level above the Senn 600's.

True, they are open versus closed designs. However, from my experiences, it seems like although the Senns create a larger sound stage with its open design, the stage only extends from the left to the right.... and you do get the sense you are somehow separated, far away from the sound. It's a very laid back sound experience.

Yep, and intentionally so. As far as I can tell, Sennheiser specifically voiced the 600s to have this sort of presentation, so it's more a matter of personal preference (perhaps musical tastes too) than anything else.

IMO, the HD580/600 has reached a sort of classic, time-tested status that the CD3k still only aspires to. Might have something to do with the price too, as Sony has an annoying tendency to price their higher end cans outside the market (R10 is an extreme example). Not everyone wants to spend nearly four times as much on a set of cans to get one level better.

Sep 22, 2003 at 6:33 PM Post #12 of 225
the CD3000 seems to be the flavour of the month for quite a long time.
and i doubt that sennheiser wouldn't want to get that front-back soundstage qualities - if they are such "classical" laid back headphones. they are just not up to the task, sorry
biggrin.gif

the CD3000 are 10-15 years old, like the R10 or so. there's a reason why sony don't change these models (well, perhaps they don't care because they are sony.. but still i believe that indicates a very good product from their point a view to some degree)

Sep 22, 2003 at 6:34 PM Post #13 of 225
Personally I have not heard HD600, I used to own HD580 with stock cable. My view is that, CD3000 plays everything well. I can't find a genre of music where it doesn't excel. HD580 was another story. HD580 does'nt rock as well as CD3000, and jazz/classical is on par with CD3000 driven by same class of equipments (tube rolled Head vs Gilmore V2). I think CD3000 is more versatile and intimate. That's a winning combination for me.

*I realize HD580 doesn't really compare with CD3000 with stock, but my opinion is based on the sound signature of the two brand of cans. Plus if HD600 is 10% better than HD580, than I am fairly certain that CD3000 is better than HD600. I've had no experience with aftermarket cables, but if the cables adds another 10% to HD600, CD3000 still wins
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2003 at 6:55 PM Post #14 of 225
Quote:

IMO, the HD580/600 has reached a sort of classic, time-tested status that the CD3k still only aspires to. Might have something to do with the price too, as Sony has an annoying tendency to price their higher end cans outside the market (R10 is an extreme example). Not everyone wants to spend nearly four times as much on a set of cans to get one level better.

fewtch,
Have you heard the R10s at any length, or are you speculating? IMO, as someone who has owned a R10, a W2002, CD3000, ER4S, HD600, HD580, the R10s are not just one step up from the CD3000 et all. The jump is *not* like going from the 580 to the 600. The jump is more like going from the KSC-35 to the HD600, a gap about that big. Is such a gap worth $4K per pair, that's strictly a personal question, so *it depends*.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the original question.
tongue.gif
One more vote for the CD3000. If you are interested in further elaboration, you can take a look up top in the review section for a few threads from me on the CD3000. Good luck!

Mark

Sep 22, 2003 at 6:59 PM Post #15 of 225
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
fewtch,
Have you heard the R10s at any length, or are you speculating?

Errm... all I mentioned was Sony's tendency to price their high end headphones outside the market, and the R10 being an extreme example of that sort of pricing. What are you talking about?

When I said four times as much, I was referring to HD580/600 vs. CD3000. The R10 is more like ten times as much as the CD3000, and closer to 30-40x more expensive than the 580/600 (street prices across the board, not MSRP).

If you'll notice, I made no comments on the sound of either the R10 or the CD3000. I haven't heard either, but don't doubt that they're both excellent headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back