Sony 1000x mark ii - huzzah!
Aug 6, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #166 of 198
Here is the EQ I've been using.

I'm curious, what app is this? Interesting that it has an Atmos mode. Would assume it might be helpful when watching movies.[/QUOTE]

That's the Samsung SoundAssistant. If you have a Galaxy, you can download it from the play store. If not, you'd need a rooted Android to get that functionality elsewhere.

Aug 6, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #167 of 198
Guys after letting headphones burn in, and learning how to use optimizer, and activating aptx/ldac headphones sound great! I also kept the vmoda crossfade wireless 2_for my bassy moods, they sound so good! The bowers & wilkens i returned, they sounded great but bass was a little light and voices sounded cupped, fit wasn't the best either, but they did have incredible build.

Aug 10, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #168 of 198
7DB12FCF-CD6A-4E3F-9795-E3FE54F1A98C.jpeg
Just picked up a pair of these. Initial impressions after 1 way of my daily commute are pretty good. I tweaked an EQ @jasonb posted earlier in thread and mostly satisfied with it. I’m using mine with iPhone 7 AAC with mostly AAC files. At first, comfort wasn’t great, but I loosened headband a tiny but from my initial setting and seems much better. I wear glasses so YMMV. I’ll try some wired with my Q5 this weekend, but I think these are keepers.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #169 of 198
Just picked up a pair of these. Initial impressions after 1 way of my daily commute are pretty good. I tweaked an EQ @jasonb posted earlier in thread and mostly satisfied with it. I’m using mine with iPhone 7 AAC with mostly AAC files. At first, comfort wasn’t great, but I loosened headband a tiny but from my initial setting and seems much better. I wear glasses so YMMV. I’ll try some wired with my Q5 this weekend, but I think these are keepers.

How are you finding the comfort with glasses? Got a pair of sennheiser hd25-II's and whilst I like the sound they just don't work with glasses.

Aug 13, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #171 of 198
Any chance that someone who owns the NW-A45 can confirm any success with controlling ANC via the Walkman device? As in functionality is not greyed-out with these headphones connected?

Also, any success in keeping your EQ settings when connected via LDAC on a non-android or apple device?

Much appreciated if anyone has the unit or the NW-A35 which should be similar. Many thanks in advance.

Sep 6, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #172 of 198
A good combination is this headphone with a new Samsung phone. You can use LDAC and also use Samsung's built in system wide EQ at the same time.

This is my EQ with this headphone on my S9+. Still a tiny bit bassy, but sounds natural otherwise. Plenty of mid-range, and top end sparkle.

Screenshot_20180906-130156_SoundAlive.jpg

Sep 9, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #173 of 198
After tested KEF Porsche Design Space One, B&O H9i, Sennheiser Momentum Wireless, 1000XM2 and the new 1000XM3, I have placed pre-order for Sony 1000XM3 to be collect on 19th of this month. I'm now happy as my search for a pair of new bluetooth headphones is over. :smile_phones:

Sep 10, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #174 of 198
WH1000XM2 owner here. Very happy with them too.

Is there any way to disable the touch controls temporarily? The app lets you disable noise cancelling and other features, but not the touch controls.

(Reason: Most of the time they are really useful, but when using them around steam (e.g. kitchen when cooking) this can trigger the touch causing unwanted pauses / volume changes. Likewise, when using them under a hood. Very annoying when it happens as it renders the headphones unusable.)

Sep 10, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #175 of 198
Is anyone else not all that impressed with the sound quality on the WH-1000xm2 headphones?

I think the problem I'm having is that I'm coming from a lifetime of IEM/ In-ear buds and this is the first pair of 'proper' over-ear style headphones I've tried. Don't get me wrong, they sound great, better than almost all over-ears I've tried before but I think switching from the experience of having music shooting directly into my brain at high volume it feels a bit like I've lost something in terms of power and impact.

The details are great, the soundstage is impressive paired either with NW-A45 via LDAC, Phone via LDAC or NW-A45 via cable it is all good but I do feel like I paid an awful lot of money for an experience similar to or lesser than that which can be gained with a $40 pair of Xaoimi triple driver HD earbuds or even KZ-ATE for $15(!!) save for the wires being optional.

Functionally they are great headphones and the battery life is incredible but they don't rock my world like I thought they would. Further to that, the noise cancelling is only worth a damn if you listen to your music quiet as crap. As soon as you turn it up to high volume, you aren't hearing your surroundings anyway.

Same deal with the ambient noise function; works a treat if you are one to listen to your music at a low volume but once you crank it up, there is not a cats chance in hell of you hearing someone talking to you, or even an oncoming vehicle.

Then again, if these have a burn-in time I wouldn't have gotten there yet. I will keep an open mind, I've got some travel coming up so I will evaluate further before I do anything rash.

Sep 10, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #176 of 198
Further to that, the noise cancelling is only worth a damn if you listen to your music quiet as ****. As soon as you turn it up to high volume, you aren't hearing your surroundings anyway.

Why did you buy ANC headphones then if you're cranking up the volume so high that you're not hearing any background noise? I've never felt the need to crank up the volume when using headphones as it's bad for the hearing (I already have a slight tinnitus) and because it's hard to concentrate to anything else. The good news is that unlike the rest of us, you don't need to pay a premium price for ANC if you get it cheap by simply preferring to turn up the volume with regular headphones.

In other news... I'm kinda torn between keeping the XM2s and getting the XM3s for the difference in weight and comfort (although compared to the Bose the XM3s are still the bulkier, more heavy headphones). I got the XM2s for 290 dollars which was the all-time low price where I'm from. I might be able to sell them for around 250 dollars but then I'd have to wait for the XM3s to go down in price as I'm certainly not going to pay nowhere near the current asking price (440 dollars in the EU!!!). The current reviews are hyping up the SQ (although apparently the XM3s are more bassy which may not be a good thing as some already thought the XM2s were too bass-heavy) and ANC but it seems that there are a lot of people who don't hear a lot of real-world difference. It might be good to wait and see if the new, more plastic-heavy construction will hold up. On the other hand, it'd suck if I sold my XM2s, bought the XM3s and then, next year, they'll release XM4s with multidevice swap support, BT5.0, even less bulkiness and better call quality.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #177 of 198
Is anyone else not all that impressed with the sound quality on the WH-1000xm2 headphones?

I think the problem I'm having is that I'm coming from a lifetime of IEM/ In-ear buds and this is the first pair of 'proper' over-ear style headphones I've tried. Don't get me wrong, they sound great, better than almost all over-ears I've tried before but I think switching from the experience of having music shooting directly into my brain at high volume it feels a bit like I've lost something in terms of power and impact.

The details are great, the soundstage is impressive paired either with NW-A45 via LDAC, Phone via LDAC or NW-A45 via cable it is all good but I do feel like I paid an awful lot of money for an experience similar to or lesser than that which can be gained with a $40 pair of Xaoimi triple driver HD earbuds or even KZ-ATE for $15(!!) save for the wires being optional.

Functionally they are great headphones and the battery life is incredible but they don't rock my world like I thought they would. Further to that, the noise cancelling is only worth a damn if you listen to your music quiet as ****. As soon as you turn it up to high volume, you aren't hearing your surroundings anyway.

Same deal with the ambient noise function; works a treat if you are one to listen to your music at a low volume but once you crank it up, there is not a cats chance in hell of you hearing someone talking to you, or even an oncoming vehicle.

Then again, if these have a burn-in time I wouldn't have gotten there yet. I will keep an open mind, I've got some travel coming up so I will evaluate further before I do anything rash.
ANC's real value is in environments where get lots of engine noise or generally lower frequency noises compared to a really good passive NC.

Also, reducing noise increases signal to noise ratio or the sound heard heard from your ears speakers not masked by ambient noise.

Ambient noise masking makes you turn up the volume so you can hear better of the audio sound, therefore it is beneficial to keep the volume down.

Sep 11, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #178 of 198
but I do feel like I paid an awful lot of money for an experience similar to or lesser than that which can be gained with a $40 pair of Xaoimi triple driver HD earbuds or even KZ-ATE for $15(!!) save for the wires being optional.

No offence, with your statement I've quoted, you sound like a joke to me.
Or perhaps, you doesn't have a pair of ears that can hear a different, so may I suggest you continue stick with the Xiaomi earbuds? Please don't bother try any other headphones or high end earbud, cause it will be a waste of your time trying as you're not hearing different.

Sep 11, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #179 of 198
Had these for a week and surprised myself by returning them to amazon. Found them quite uncomfortable after a couple of hours. Would develop a hotspot on the top of my head which I've never had before. Tried moving them forward, but then felt like they were not secure. Really wanted to like these, but just too many minus points meant I ended up sending them back.

Sep 11, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #180 of 198
Totally agree, I found these cans horrible for audio quality. I returned my first pair thinking they were faulty but, no. For someone relatively new to over-ears they may sound good, but to me they lack deep bass extension, have a peak of around 6khz and roll off fast after that. And sound flat ( as in boring) to me. But it's not until you hear cans like the Plantronics Backbeat Pro,
V-Moda Crossfade 2, B&W PX, Marshall Monitor etc. do you really realise that the Sony's are average only for audio performance. Even their cheaper off-spring have better audio quality.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back