Jun 28, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #91 of 483
  Check out romaz's posts in his thread comparing five high-end music servers. Interestingly, by the end of the thread, he ditched them all for the microRendu. Not sure if this meets your qualification, but he has not only seen some high-end servers but has also been in direct communication with their designers: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/787020/review-comparison-of-5-high-end-digital-music-servers-aurender-n10-cad-cat-server-totaldac-d1-server-auralic-aries-audiophile-vortex-box/390

Thank you very much Liu - interesting read.

Jul 9, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #92 of 483
Hi,

I'm new to microRendu and don't know where my question should be put.  Please advise me where this should be put in case I'm in a wrong place.

I used a player in computer to play music files to my USB DAC.  I also use the software "VLC media player" to play my video files in that computer.  So far the VLC media player can route the audio to the USB DAC.

Now I am using HQPlayer in NAA mode to play music files to microRendu to my USB DAC which works.  However, I cannot set the VLC media to route to the USB DAC anymore.  Hence I cannot watch videos with sound.   What can I do?

Jul 9, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #93 of 483
- Redacted - Issue posted earlier has been resolved by the very helpful Jesus. 

Jul 11, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #94 of 483
  Hi,

I'm new to microRendu and don't know where my question should be put.  Please advise me where this should be put in case I'm in a wrong place.

I used a player in computer to play music files to my USB DAC.  I also use the software "VLC media player" to play my video files in that computer.  So far the VLC media player can route the audio to the USB DAC.

Now I am using HQPlayer in NAA mode to play music files to microRendu to my USB DAC which works.  However, I cannot set the VLC media to route to the USB DAC anymore.  Hence I cannot watch videos with sound.   What can I do?

From your description, it seems like you've disconnected your DAC from your computer to "insert" a network and then the mRendu and then USB out to your DAC. If I understanding things (and I don't claim to be up on computer audio) correctly you cannot output thru the mRendu as if it were just passing data along, so no, you can no longer watch video without physically disconnecting the mRendu and reconnecting your computer via USB (presumably) to your DAC.

This is because the mRendu is a network device and has specific output modes (see their website or documentation or Computeraudiophile.com) for the player software you use. The player is a server (software) and the mRendu is network to USB hardware. VLC as I understand it is an application, not a server. This isn't just about passing the audio signal from file to DAC, which is what iTunes or VLC does. The server software is passing the file data to the mRendu which then either passes thru or "renders" the file data into the format the DAC expects (USB data packets).

I could be all wrong, but this is what it sounds like you're trying to do and no, it won't work. To the best of my knowledge, you'd have to use JRiver or something to manage your video and then set up mRendu to operate with the JRiver software on your computer for both audio and video sound. There are probably other software servers and control points (the app-remote-on your iPad or iPhone or Android to control the server software) but I am really in the dark with those and I just use Logitech Media Server with my mRendu because it sounds awesome and better than Minimserver. (YMMV.)

Hope this helps. Computer audio has a somewhat steep learning curve if you start to dig in.

Jul 11, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #95 of 483

From your description, it seems like you've disconnected your DAC from your computer to "insert" a network and then the mRendu and then USB out to your DAC. If I understanding things (and I don't claim to be up on computer audio) correctly you cannot output thru the mRendu as if it were just passing data along, so no, you can no longer watch video without physically disconnecting the mRendu and reconnecting your computer via USB (presumably) to your DAC.

This is because the mRendu is a network device and has specific output modes (see their website or documentation or Computeraudiophile.com) for the player software you use. The player is a server (software) and the mRendu is network to USB hardware. VLC as I understand it is an application, not a server. This isn't just about passing the audio signal from file to DAC, which is what iTunes or VLC does. The server software is passing the file data to the mRendu which then either passes thru or "renders" the file data into the format the DAC expects (USB data packets).

I could be all wrong, but this is what it sounds like you're trying to do and no, it won't work. To the best of my knowledge, you'd have to use JRiver or something to manage your video and then set up mRendu to operate with the JRiver software on your computer for both audio and video sound. There are probably other software servers and control points (the app-remote-on your iPad or iPhone or Android to control the server software) but I am really in the dark with those and I just use Logitech Media Server with my mRendu because it sounds awesome and better than Minimserver. (YMMV.)

Hope this helps. Computer audio has a somewhat steep learning curve if you start to dig in.

Hi feelingears,

Thank you for your reply and I believe the case is just what you have described.  Just not sure if JRiver may solve the problems: can play music files and play files correctly and how to do it.  I'll try to learn.  Does it means that I still need to use the App Switcher to go back to HQP for the best SQ when playing only music files?  For Logitech Media Server you mentioned, I guess it can also play videos, right?  Is it a HW, SW or a combination?  How much for it?

Regards, GL

Jul 11, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #96 of 483
@GreenLeo LMS is free. Google is your friend on this stuff. I am not Jedi Master enough with computer audio to explain why one variant is better than another. I am merely reporting that in my experience with my system the LMS and mRendu in Squeezelite mode is superior to MinimServer in DLNA (I think that's the mode). I also have no interest in Roon (for now) or any other streaming since I own so much music already. The other forums (particularly at ComputerAudiophile.com) are quite detailed on that stuff.

The "problem" is that the mRendu is capable of resolving some subtleties that I value, so I am hearing all kinds of little things that make experiment more as I seek the best combo. Next experiment for me is HQPlayer and NAA mode, after I replace the platter hard drive in my NAS with an SSD. But one thing at a time. Not everything is better (I've rejected battery power--one type anyway--for the microRendu, several cables both USB and Ethernet and interconnect.)

So, good luck and I recommend just getting it up and running so you can enjoy the magic this device brings.

Cheers. 

Jul 15, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #98 of 483
I can says the MircoRendu with Roon is simply the best source I had in my system

So MicroRendu with Roon > MicroRendu with HQP in terms of SQ?

Jul 15, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #99 of 483
This post is no more relevant.

Jul 21, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #104 of 483
  my little mR Setup

So you have the µRendu feeding the Hugo TT? Must sound incredible—I love my Mojo+µR.

Do you also use the HD-Plex to power your Hugo TT? Could you share what cables (USB, power) you're using?

Cheers,
muski

Users who are viewing this thread

Back