Jun 22, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #76 of 483
@cat6man The nice thing is that the mRendu creators are online a lot. Here's the apparent answer from a post at Computer Audiophile (MicroRendu, p. 83, #2103):

With these two protocols [Roon and HQPlayer] the player is streaming directly to the connected hardware device via the microRendu. In contrast, when the microRendu is used in MPD/DLNA output mode it is actually rendering the content and then streaming directly to the connected hardware device.

MPD/DLNA is of course the mode used for MinimServer. Does this mean the mRendu is a "bad" renderer? I don't think so, but I hear a difference on my system and it tells me to use LMS/Squeezelite. At least, until I try out HQPlayer someday because people are talking that up even more (as well as its unintuitive setup quirks).

So for now, Squeezelite is heads and shoulders above what I'm used to hearing in my home. I'm about to try a battery power supply (which is supposed to be on par/better than an LPS), and then maybe I'll muck around with replacing my DAC (gotta get the Schiit together, right?) or my router since apparently all parts of the network matter (even the Ethernet cables). 

That said, I think that you should try MPD/DLNA in your setup for yourself as the mRendu is "sensitive" (whatever that means in this context) to the other components. Most people are reporting similar effects but there are several people on forums hearing other effects. YMMV.

Let me/us know what you find!

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #77 of 483
  @cat6man The nice thing is that the mRendu creators are online a lot. Here's the apparent answer from a post at Computer Audiophile (MicroRendu, p. 83, #2103):

MPD/DLNA is of course the mode used for MinimServer. Does this mean the mRendu is a "bad" renderer? I don't think so, but I hear a difference on my system and it tells me to use LMS/Squeezelite. At least, until I try out HQPlayer someday because people are talking that up even more (as well as its unintuitive setup quirks).

So for now, Squeezelite is heads and shoulders above what I'm used to hearing in my home. I'm about to try a battery power supply (which is supposed to be on par/better than an LPS), and then maybe I'll muck around with replacing my DAC (gotta get the Schiit together, right?) or my router since apparently all parts of the network matter (even the Ethernet cables). 

That said, I think that you should try MPD/DLNA in your setup for yourself as the mRendu is "sensitive" (whatever that means in this context) to the other components. Most people are reporting similar effects but there are several people on forums hearing other effects. YMMV.

Let me/us know what you find!

The whole concept of a microRendu is to have an underpowered computer that has significantly reduced processing and hence noise. Rendering takes processing. That's not ideal for noise, or for an underpowered computer. So I am personally sticking to modes where the microRendu is the endpoint only.

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #78 of 483

my preference was for mimimserver due to the much faster response time of the control point with a large >50k track music system.

one thing i have found is that WAV sounds much better than FLAC and i'm very interested in seeing if the uRendu changes that.

what kind of files were you playing?  do you reach the same conclusion with 44k and higher rez files?

Yes, I find LMS control point apps leave something to be desired. Squeezebox is functional, if barely. I just loaded Squeezepad to try. iPeng gets the nod but some say it's really not worth the money.

I don't know about WAV vs. FLAC, but I thought the latter was a wrappered version of the former. I wanted to avoid all the tweaky b.s. of computer audio (which my wife would never put with) so I thought I'd stay in Apple-ville: AAC @ 320 and ALAC (Apple Lossless). 

Now, the mRendu makes me sorry so much of my music is AAC--I can hear the compression of dynamics and the, for lack of a better term, mis-timing of musical parts or something. Yuck. 

I had to make an adjustment to the LMS setup to play my 24/96 files from HD Tracks because they're ALAC. (The mRendu folks provided the answer.) But I only have about five albums in that format. Everything else is good 'ol Redbook, which BTW sounds AMAZING thru the mRendu if ripped in ALAC. Did I mention it sounds AMAZING? You'll find out soon enough.

Try songs that sound "congested" with a lot going on and layers of instruments or rhythms/counterpoints. If you like prog rock, I highly recommend "Going for the One," by Yes. Old recording, poor by today's (or even back then) standards. Sounds like a mess on anything but the mRendu in my experience. I'm soooo happy to actually hear those guys play like they did on that record.

Good luck!

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #79 of 483
  The whole concept of a microRendu is to have an underpowered computer that has significantly reduced processing and hence noise. Rendering takes processing. That's not ideal for noise, or for an underpowered computer. So I am personally sticking to modes where the microRendu is the endpoint only.

Yeah, I gathered that for HQ Player the idea was to keep the processing on a full computer (not NAS) and thus be (semi-)isolated from the D/A conversion by the network and the transition to USB. Actually, I was/am wondering if it's worth converting the mRendu USB to S/PDIF coax as there are people who do that with older gear. It seems however that there is a new generation of DACs and other digital gear that are optimized for USB and that the extra step of USB to S/PDIF would make things "worse." I mean really, Ethernet to USB to S/PDIF?!? We're well into the land of diminishing returns here.

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with a USB to S/PDIF converter, otherwise I'd test it just to hear it for myself.

And in the meantime, the mRendu does its thing so we're all happy for now!

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #80 of 483
Yeah, I gathered that for HQ Player the idea was to keep the processing on a full computer (not NAS) and thus be (semi-)isolated from the D/A conversion by the network and the transition to USB. Actually, I was/am wondering if it's worth converting the mRendu USB to S/PDIF coax as there are people who do that with older gear. It seems however that there is a new generation of DACs and other digital gear that are optimized for USB and that the extra step of USB to S/PDIF would make things "worse." I mean really, Ethernet to USB to S/PDIF?!? We're well into the land of diminishing returns here.

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with a USB to S/PDIF converter, otherwise I'd test it just to hear it for myself.

And in the meantime, the mRendu does its thing so we're all happy for now!

I think a few people do have the Mutec 3+ USB on order, but most run it USB to AES. That has the galvanic isolation from USB and added benefit of reclocking.

Really though if you do not use Roon or hqplayer I would get the sonore signature rendu and use spdif out (no USB in the chain) and call it a day. That also has some fancy clocks built in just like the Mutec, and is- as you point out- one device less.

Jun 22, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #81 of 483
Yeah. It's fun reading everyone's experiences if one can keep their soul grounded (or is that one's Ethernet CAT 6A cables?). Just read Gordon Rankin's interview at Darko's site about USB, and he suggested it's the best of the bunch now.

I think you're right: Get the power supply up to snuff and get on with it. I think I did admit I am trying a battery that some dudes suggested and that John Swenson himself said "should work." The implication as I said is that the battery is as good as/better than the LPS. Whatever. I really need a modern DAC as mine are just slightly behind a generation or perhaps two. (They're really quite nice though.)

Cheers,
LC

Jun 22, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #82 of 483

thanks.

the link explicitly compares mpd mode (where uRendu renders) with HQplayer and Roon where the uRendu does not render.
is it clear that LMS/squeezelite falls in the latter category?

i've also been following the CA thread on the uRendu.

in my experience, synergy is king so when you get into the plethora of other variables (e.g. power, streamer, streamer mode, cables, music format, music stream format) it can be hard to get a handle on what really makes the best combination and WHY!  as an engineer, i want to know 'why' even though my ears are the final judge.

anticipating an issue, if i have both sms-100==>dx-usb converter==>aes/ebu==>dac and uRendu==>usb==>dac simultaneously, i can easily compare the two in almost real time..............however, hooking them both up at the same time creates grounding questions so...........and on and on

amazing how obsessive we can be in the search for musical magic!

Jun 22, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #83 of 483

Yes, I find LMS control point apps leave something to be desired. Squeezebox is functional, if barely. I just loaded Squeezepad to try. iPeng gets the nod but some say it's really not worth the money.

i like the 'squeezer' app for LMS much better than squeezebox or ipeng.
currently i use that as the control point in my car's music server (lives in the glovebox)

Jun 23, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #84 of 483
  the link explicitly compares mpd mode (where uRendu renders) with HQplayer and Roon where the uRendu does not render.
is it clear that LMS/squeezelite falls in the latter category?

in my experience, synergy is king ...
amazing how obsessive we can be in the search for musical magic!

It seems to me that yes, he described MPD/DLNA mode as a rendering mode, while the others are pass-through. This question seems to be one of those things that people like us would want to know so we can obsess about it. But it seems to not be an overt point in the general discourse. Anyway, at least we know and can act accordingly.

And absolutely I agree on synergy with ears as the final adjudicator. I'm thankful a device like the mRendu has made it really possible to hear differences at an affordable price. I just wish computer audio stuff were more user friendly. Long, long way to go on that, and likely due to the fact we all hear "differently" combined with the unpredictable hardware synergy you mentioned. Infinite permutations!

Thanks too for the Squeezer app suggestion. Unfortunately it's Android and I'm iOS. SqueezePad seems nice enough. Might have to just suck up and suffer Squeezebox on the iPhone however.

Jun 23, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #87 of 483
Just join the club too - mine arrived today. Still waiting for my linear PSU so can't test it yet sadly
frown.gif

Hi,

I bought my Teradak LPS before the microRendu shipped. Glad that I did cause I got to use the microRendu right away. Bonus that the Teradak can be used to power the new UpTone LPS-1.

Cheers,

Jun 23, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #88 of 483

i plan to do the same comparison.  i got my uRendu delivered while i was in europe on vacation and am currently burning it in, so i'm not listening critically at all.
i have both LMS and minimserver running on my Netgear NAS already but have never compared them.
my preference was for mimimserver due to the much faster response time of the control point with a large >50k track music system.

one thing i have found is that WAV sounds much better than FLAC and i'm very interested in seeing if the uRendu changes that.

what kind of files were you playing?  do you reach the same conclusion with 44k and higher rez files?

i hope to have time to assess things in the next couple of weeks and compare the uRendu with my old setup streaming to sms-100

Hi,

I have miniMserver installed on the NAS, and got it working. But I'm only using LMS/Squeezelite as I have 4 other Squeezeboxes in the house and it sound wonderful with the microRendu. I may get Roon, - but the price....  ouch. And, - previously, was using Pure Music, and never want to get involved with being the QA dept for a software developer that keeps requiring updates and & hardware upgrades. I only run AIFF, and wouldn't consider ever running any uncompressed formats.
Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back