Sonoma Model One electrostatic headphone system
Sep 30, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #181 of 330
After seeing Sonoma in Munich this year, I have to say that this is an exceptionally well-made product. It screamed quality in this regard undoubtedly. And it sounded quite balanced, though noisy MOC environment wasn't helpful at all..

I also heard and saw the Sonoma at Munich this year ... quite different impression apart from the noise issue in the MOC hall ^^:

Impressions were very mixed to say the least:

- Judging the music quality was difficult during show conditions. Sonoma had a quieter corner of the hall but still quite not quiet enough. As far as I could grasp I didn't feel like that this system would top a proper HD800 or Stax-Setup ...

- The amplifier was well made and looked decent - pretty small for a DAC/Amp after all. At the booth you were able to look at the electronics inside ... looked like not very much hardware in there. Not judging by this anyway ... just something I was surprised by.

- Another propietary connector ... thought "doesn't the world have enough plugs and cables that don't match already". Well you'll never be able to plug this headphone into any other amplifier than the one in the package ...

- Biggest turn off to me was the build quality of the headphones and the fit (clamping pressure). The Headphone felt pretty cheaply made, lots of plastic. The fit was pretty tight and high pressure - kind of like a HD600 new out of the box - without velour pads though. The build kind of made me think of the HE60 if that tells something ...

- Talked to two guys at the sonoma booth in the MOC-hall who were there doing marketing for the sonoma system ... they basically told me they knew nothing about the headphone system apart from what's in the brochure and were just here for "marketing" purposes ... which was kind of a let down. Maybe important to mention that sonoma had the biggest, most well set up, most organized and surely most expensive booth of all retailers at the MOC in Munich with severall separate listening stations, lots of glossy brochures and so on - so a pretty big marketing effort was made after all ...
Other booths like Abyss had some headphone engineers or higher up employees of the respective companies at the show that were actually interesting to talk to and knew something about their products apart from specs and marketing lines printed on glossy paper.

So that point didn't leave a very good impression as well.

After all I wasn't very excited when I left - rather kind of disppointed.

In short: seems like not my cup of tea ...

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #182 of 330
I own a Sonoma M1 and have been very impressed with it.

The M1 has a good aesthetic look (almost elegant), is handsomely boxed and has good build quality. The construction of the headphone and amp/DAC are solid, both by look and touch, and the connections, switches and volume knob are the same. The M1 has a relatively small footprint, making it ideal for desktop use. Although I use it in conjunction with my CD player, either playing CD/SACDs or working off the internal DAC, the M1 is a complete system (dac-amp-headphone).

In terms of electrostatics, I previously owned a Sennheiser HE60 and Stax 4040II system. Compared to my older setups, the M1 has the same level of transparency, crispness and articulation that one expects from this type of headphone. My lasting impression of my former setups was that the HE60 suffered from a small sound stage and the 4040II a lean sound. The M1 offers an improvement in both of these areas. The sound stage never feels compressed and there is enough weight to feel the music.

The sound of the M1 is excellent; it offers a clean and clear treble, a dense midrange, a competent bass and decent sound stage. Its primary trait is great energy -- voices tend to be prominent/upfront -- and clarity.

The treble response is extended, full of detail and revealing. I listen mainly to opera and classical but also some female vocals/folk rock. Strings and voices are clear and soaring on the M1. The details you hear from a well-made recording are many and add much to the character and meaning of the music. Well recorded music sounds great. On the other hand, I have some live opera recordings (older) where the sound is less than ideal. On these older recordings, voices still sound good but instruments can be sharp and the orchestra congested. I think it would sound this way on any headphone but is more apparent on the M1. I guess it is not a forgiving headphone. My Audeze LCD2 is a better headphone in this regard. It’s toned down and softer sound makes it easier to listen to recordings of poorer quality; but, since acquiring the M1, I have not listened to the LCD2 much. The enhanced articulation and detail of the M1 lead to a better listening experience.

The midrange is dense and compared, as least by memory, to my Stax 4040II is much more full bodied. Voices and instruments have some presence and resonate -- the chords and strumming of a guitar sound great. There are times where you feel the sensation of the music. I don’t think it is the same type of thickness that you can get with a dynamic, but the music is never thin or lean sounding, which was my chief complaint of the Stax. What you do get over most dynamics is neatly articulated layers of music -- the lead vocals, the background chorus and the instruments weaving them together. All can be heard somewhat separately and yet together.

The bass is on the lighter side although still solid. It is not hard hitting but baritone voices, cellos and percussion have a natural sound and good lower register. I personally think bass that thumps or booms is artificial. You will not hear that on this headphone.

As for comfort and listening levels, I have no issues. I listen at 9-10 o’clock on the dial and the sound is loud enough and more importantly full. I listen in a quiet environment, generally at night, so maybe that helps. The headphone fit is snug but I do not find it uncomfortable. I have listened for 2 hours or so straight without any discomfort or listening fatigue. If you crank up the volume, I could see the headphone sounding bright and fatiguing but those are probably not safe volume levels to listen at anyway. The cable also has presented no issues for me.

On the whole, the M1 strikes me as an excellent headphone system and a welcome addition to the electrostatic market. The construction and sound are of high quality and because the M1 is a complete system, the price actually seems reasonable.

018.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #183 of 330
I own a Sonoma M1 and have been very impressed with it.

The M1 has a good aesthetic look (almost elegant), is handsomely boxed and has good build quality. The construction of the headphone and amp/DAC are solid, both by look and touch, and the connections, switches and volume knob are the same. The M1 has a relatively small footprint, making it ideal for desktop use. Although I use it in conjunction with my CD player, either playing CD/SACDs or working off the internal DAC, the M1 is a complete system (dac-amp-headphone).

In terms of electrostatics, I previously owned a Sennheiser HE60 and Stax 4040II system. Compared to my older setups, the M1 has the same level of transparency, crispness and articulation that one expects from this type of headphone. My lasting impression of my former setups was that the HE60 suffered from a small sound stage and the 4040II a lean sound. The M1 offers an improvement in both of these areas. The sound stage never feels compressed and there is enough weight to feel the music.

The sound of the M1 is excellent; it offers a clean and clear treble, a dense midrange, a competent bass and decent sound stage. Its primary trait is great energy -- voices tend to be prominent/upfront -- and clarity.

The treble response is extended, full of detail and revealing. I listen mainly to opera and classical but also some female vocals/folk rock. Strings and voices are clear and soaring on the M1. The details you hear from a well-made recording are many and add much to the character and meaning of the music. Well recorded music sounds great. On the other hand, I have some live opera recordings (older) where the sound is less than ideal. On these older recordings, voices still sound good but instruments can be sharp and the orchestra congested. I think it would sound this way on any headphone but is more apparent on the M1. I guess it is not a forgiving headphone. My Audeze LCD2 is a better headphone in this regard. It’s toned down and softer sound makes it easier to listen to recordings of poorer quality; but, since acquiring the M1, I have not listened to the LCD2 much. The enhanced articulation and detail of the M1 lead to a better listening experience.

The midrange is dense and compared, as least by memory, to my Stax 4040II is much more full bodied. Voices and instruments have some presence and resonate -- the chords and strumming of a guitar sound great. There are times where you feel the sensation of the music. I don’t think it is the same type of thickness that you can get with a dynamic, but the music is never thin or lean sounding, which was my chief complaint of the Stax. What you do get over most dynamics is neatly articulated layers of music -- the lead vocals, the background chorus and the instruments weaving them together. All can be heard somewhat separately and yet together.

The bass is on the lighter side although still solid. It is not hard hitting but baritone voices, cellos and percussion have a natural sound and good lower register. I personally think bass that thumps or booms is artificial. You will not hear that on this headphone.

As for comfort and listening levels, I have no issues. I listen at 9-10 o’clock on the dial and the sound is loud enough and more importantly full. I listen in a quiet environment, generally at night, so maybe that helps. The headphone fit is snug but I do not find it uncomfortable. I have listened for 2 hours or so straight without any discomfort or listening fatigue. If you crank up the volume, I could see the headphone sounding bright and fatiguing but those are probably not safe volume levels to listen at anyway. The cable also has presented no issues for me.

On the whole, the M1 strikes me as an excellent headphone system and a welcome addition to the electrostatic market. The construction and sound are of high quality and because the M1 is a complete system, the price actually seems reasonable.

I agree, I am now settling down with the Somona without feeling the need to look elsewhere for the sound I am looking for. It does everything right at the right time. The important thing regarding the bass is its quality not quantity.
Not totally impressed with the fit, after long listens it can become a little cramped but they are very light and quite dashing to look at.
Can I add that in my personal opinion these are great headphones for metal. I listen to a lot of black, death and funeral and find these headphones present the music without any exaggeration, with these types of music you need to pick rhythm from the mayhem.
Also the power supply failed after the first month but credit to the company they replaced it very quickly and, touch wood, they have operated flawlessly since.
Expensive, but the Somona is the last headphone I will need to buy.

Jul 28, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #186 of 330
I heard the Aperio yesterday at Canjam London - this is what I posted in the impressions thread;

An excellent solution to the ambient noise of these audio shows was provided by Warwick Acoustics with the acoustic booth, which provided much improved listening environment while still being in with the action.

Last year I was very taken with the Sonoma M1 and had the pleasure of an extended audition. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/son...headphone-system.822746/page-12#post-14462551

I was very keen to hear the new Aperio and it didn’t disappoint. It is a real high-end electrostatic solution. On a 5 minute listen in the “pod” the sound is great, comfort is very good, the system is neat, has the advantages I mentioned in the impressions of the M1 and has solved all of the drawbacks of the M1. The M1 could not force me to give up my existing hard-won system, but the new Aperio could certainly be a challenger (if it wasn’t so costly). For the wealthy music lover this is a great offering.

Jul 28, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #187 of 330
I heard the Aperio yesterday at Canjam London - this is what I posted in the impressions thread;

An excellent solution to the ambient noise of these audio shows was provided by Warwick Acoustics with the acoustic booth, which provided much improved listening environment while still being in with the action.

Last year I was very taken with the Sonoma M1 and had the pleasure of an extended audition. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/son...headphone-system.822746/page-12#post-14462551

I was very keen to hear the new Aperio and it didn’t disappoint. It is a real high-end electrostatic solution. On a 5 minute listen in the “pod” the sound is great, comfort is very good, the system is neat, has the advantages I mentioned in the impressions of the M1 and has solved all of the drawbacks of the M1. The M1 could not force me to give up my existing hard-won system, but the new Aperio could certainly be a challenger (if it wasn’t so costly). For the wealthy music lover this is a great offering.
Hi , lucky you could attend Canjam. Did you have the chance to compare it against the SR1a ?

Jul 28, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #189 of 330
Last edited:
Jul 28, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #190 of 330
Well I wouldn't call it a comparison especially in the conditions of a show but in my post on the impressions thread the RAAL made a great impression and is a very positive alternative approach.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/canjam-london-2019-impressions-thread.911785/page-7#post-15087841
Well I wouldn't call it a comparison especially in the conditions of a show but in my post on the impressions thread the RAAL made a great impression and is a very positive alternative approach.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/canjam-london-2019-impressions-thread.911785/page-7#post-15087841
Thanks for your opinion !

Jan 14, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #191 of 330
Ever since Tyll added this to WOF I was keen to hear this system. However I exited headphone hobby including listening to music as that was taking too much time and late night listening (so there is not outside noise) resulting in shorter nights thus not so positive work days. Of all the headphone I had loved Hifiman HE1000 with V850+V281 more than HD800, HE6, AKG K812, Focal Elear, HE560, LCD2, AKG K712 Westone W80, AKG K3003i, Isine20, Shure 856, JH Audio Roxanne. I only kept Philip X2 as I thought when EQed properly even with a inexpensive Fiio E17K come close to 80% of my favourite setup which cost almost AU$7k+. Even though I sold all my hear as a habit I time to time watched reviews of headphones etc. I got keen to get another Hifiman but having again go through deciding on DAC/AMP I got discouraged for as I knew this will only going down the rabbit whole.

A few weeks back I managed to get a demo version of M1 for 1/3 of the retail (with DAC/AMP+cables+power unit brand new and headphone barely used). All what I can say is M1 is a great sounding. Very listenable, very fast, very detailed and clear and more dynamic than any hifiman stuff (not as HD800 or Elear). M1 does have a problem where if you move your head or cable then it changes sound and that is the worse thing about this unit. I do not listen at high volumes and at 9/10 clock it has more than enough volume for me. I did check some songs at high volumes but cannot hear base distortions and that may happen for some songs but not for the one I checked. I noted many people complain about base but for me base is just right - it has more weight than HD800 (even played with V281 or Luxman P-200) or may be same as AKG K712?.

Am I happy about the purchase?- I think I am for the price I paid and may not be for the full asking price. I cannot say that asking full retail price is too high given that most of the system with DAC/AmP cables could cost more. M1 is comfortable (ignoring the fact that you need to be still and only listen when no outside noise as even the smallest outside sound you could hear that with this headphone as such disturb what you listen). I believe that this headphone is the least fatiguing of all headphones that I have had listen to - may be Weston W80 is as close to it as anything else.

As I mentioned I am hifiman headphone fan for I love string and acoustic guitar music and Hifiman He1000 had lot more air, sparking highs and big sound stage. So yes for me for those type of songs hifiman He1000 is better than M1. But for most other songs M1 can taken on He1000 specially classical.

At the end my hifiman system with V850+V281+Aies Mini with Jay's audio LPS+ balances cables + power conditioners cost 3x to what I paid for M1 (I purchased HE1K+V281 and Mini used). So if you could get M1 for a good price then it would be really worth it. There are demo units out there and come with warranty)

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #192 of 330
I have been reading more reviews on M1 and noted that there is a group of people that say it is not good and others who say it is very good. However I could not find any professional reviewers saying it is bad (Professional people meaning people who do reviews regularly in blogs etc) Most of the people who say it is bad (I noted) had listen to M1 in noisy conditions thus at high volumes. M1 is the worst headphone of all I have heard in terms of sound leaking in and outwards. It must be listened to at a relaxed and totally silent conditions.

Second main complaint I noted is that it does not have any WOW factor compared to say LCD4 or the like. Well I agree -it does not. When I analyse carefully HD800 had wow factor for some types of music and only for well recorded and played back on a good gear and in the end when I had HD800 I can recall I mainly listened to some albums and some types of music and did not want to listen to anything else because those sounded almost crap and wow factor gone and you start to question your decision to spend so much money to get HD800 sound good. This I can say to less extent for HE1000 too and I was gravitating towards music that always gave the WOW factor in that set up and HE1000 sound just like anything else on some music so again you start to question - what is the hell.

The thing is WOW factor start disappearing when you listen for more than 45min+ anyway. Wow factor also is there because the headphone is not fully neural I believe and is highlighting certain aspects in music above other and if you like that or or few factors more then you get hocked to it. Wow factor IMHO is a manipulator introduced by company to differentiate their product and sell and get those who like it to argue that is it the best and not other.

The thing with M1 is that it does not have a wow factor. When I first put M1 I thought "where is that excitement I had when I first listened to HD800 and more so when I listened to HE1000" for the first time. It is not there.But what you realise after some time and careful analysis is with M1 I now listen to all sorts of music which I did not do with other headphones. Also more you listen more you want to with M1 - as diminishing of wow factor thus loss of enjoyment over time is not there to a greater extent with M1. I believe this is because M1 is a overall better unit- it is good on all aspects and it does not try to manipulate any specific characteristic of the music to give a WOW factor which draws people looking for next best or to the flavour of their desire to argue about and waste time on such things rather than enjoying music (purpose at the end)

What I am saying here is my own careful observations only

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #193 of 330
Hi there,
I’m owning a Sonoma M1 as well a think it’s just a beautiful gorgeous sounding system. I’m a big headphone fan for 30 years a owned very much high end systems as the Stax Omega MK2 007 and the Stax 700 system with Stax 323s amplifier. but no other system sounded so good and clean to my ears. I don’t understand how people can dislike this system. it sounds better then every Stax I had and much better then my previous headphones from Sennheiser(HD800s). The Sonoma M1 sounds at first listening very unspectacular but if you listen in a silent room and keep your concentration on a high level you can’t dislike them. they just do some magical for me. The Stax 700 are great headphones too and I love them but since I got the M1(4month ago) the Stax don’t get much listening time. and look wise it’s just a beautiful combi for me very well done very clean and beautiful machining. an all in one solution with great sound. don’t have any problems with volumes it’s loud enough at 12 for me. im sounding like a big fanboy but it’s my true experience with the M1.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #194 of 330
I now got a Hifiman HEX V2 as I thought I would like to compare sound of Hifiman with Sonoma. Do not want to get He1000 becuase I do not have DAC/AMP to drive it well. Wow Sonoma trash it like nothing. Even the sound stage, clartiy and impactful base which I never thought it would. Clarity is totally in another level compared to HEX V2. Sooth as hell with much resolving highs too. I am not comparing value for money but what I hear. However I do not discount HEX V2 before listening it on a batter DAC/AMP than what I have now

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #195 of 330
I now got a Hifiman HEX V2 as I thought I would like to compare sound of Hifiman with Sonoma. Do not want to get He1000 becuase I do not have DAC/AMP to drive it well. Wow Sonoma trash it like nothing. Even the sound stage, clartiy and impactful base which I never thought it would. Clarity is totally in another level compared to HEX V2. Sooth as hell with much resolving highs too. I am not comparing value for money but what I hear. However I do not discount HEX V2 before listening it on a batter DAC/AMP than what I have now

It’s just a fact first listening the Sonoma sounds unspectacular but after a long time you appreciate the sound so much and other headphones who first sounded so good don’t do it anymore. it’s because the Sonoma does nothing wrong and has a beautiful clear sound a for an electrostatic the bass is perfect too. I appreciate the Sonoma more and more after listening for 4 month to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back