Sonnet Digital Audio: New kid on the block, well.. not really!
Jul 3, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #1,142 of 1,507
I was checking reviews of the new Sonnett Posithea dac under best friends website and saw a comment about the Morpheus having a weird tonal density which some people did not like. I know the Morpheus has a lighter presentation compared to some other dacs but I have to say it is very fast sounding and sounds much quicker than a lot of dacs I have heard and without the edge that some dacs have on the upper frequencies. My Yggdragasil has more body to the sound and has a more physical presentation than the morpheus. But the morpheus is no slouch in the overall presentation it produces. Plus it is a very quiet dac and has very good low level reproduction.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #1,143 of 1,507
The Yiggy does have more tonal density than the Morpheus.

I found the Pasithea had less tonal density than the Morpheus.

I’ve had all of these and there is definitely an inverse relationship between more resolution, soundstage, detail, and tonal density.

Pavane Dac2 > Pavane Dac3 > Morpheus > Pasithea.

It’s all individual to what one likes, but I’m now back to Pavane Dac2.

Jul 4, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #1,144 of 1,507
but I’m now back to Pavane Dac2.
Good to learn you're back in "the fold," and still listening to anything at all. I could have sworn I saw a post in which you mentioned giving up the whole hobby, or wanting to do that, and that made me kind of sad... that is, assuming I understood you correctly.

To make this count, I remain a big fan of the morpheus, although the only other Cees DACs I have actually owned and heard are the Hex and the Onyx. I also own and love the Yggy A2, which provides a slightly different flavor, although I do not typically compare and rank competing DACs that I enjoy. Not my style. I rotate my listening between my Morpheus-Niimbus rig and my Yggy A2-Pathos InPol Ear rig and make my picks depending on mood and impulse. I usually end up quite satisfied by my listening going either way. I do remain curious about the Pasithea and other competing DACs such as the May, the Rockna Wavelight, the Denafrips Terminator (plus) and others, but my limited budget enables me to keep that curiosity in check and restrained.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #1,145 of 1,507
1656951695095.gif

Jul 4, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #1,146 of 1,507
Good to learn you're back in "the fold," and still listening to anything at all. I could have sworn I saw a post in which you mentioned giving up the whole hobby, or wanting to do that, and that made me kind of sad... that is, assuming I understood you correctly.

To make this count, I remain a big fan of the morpheus, although the only other Cees DACs I have actually owned and heard are the Hex and the Onyx. I also own and love the Yggy A2, which provides a slightly different flavor, although I do not typically compare and rank competing DACs that I enjoy. Not my style. I rotate my listening between my Morpheus-Niimbus rig and my Yggy A2-Pathos InPol Ear rig and make my picks depending on mood and impulse. I usually end up quite satisfied my listening going either way. I do remain curious about the Pasithea and other competing DACs such as the May, the Rockna Wavelight, the Denafrips Terminator (plus) and others, but my limited budget enables me to keep that curiosity in check and restrained.
I lost my feeling for the hobby once I sold the Pavane. I did enjoy the Morpheus but once I had it, I kept changing other components trying to get back that musical presentation. It got to the point I was listening to the equipment instead of enjoying the music, and so I sold everything. About three weeks ago I started thinking about maybe getting a Pavane again. I saw one for sale in Canada. Lo and behold it was the guy I sold my Pavane to. I bought it.

The Pavane was a little pissed when I opened the box. Started saying stuff like how could you let me go?? I told him, Welcome to Head-Fi.

Jul 5, 2022 at 4:14 AM Post #1,147 of 1,507
Which DDC would be better pairing, Singxer SU6 or Gustard U18, with Sonnet Morpheus?
Singxer SU6 has RJ45 I2S output while Gustard U18 has better clock, better USB input but Singxer SU6 is costlier.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #1,148 of 1,507
Which DDC would be better pairing, Singxer SU6 or Gustard U18, with Sonnet Morpheus?
Singxer SU6 has RJ45 I2S output while Gustard U18 has better clock, better USB input but Singxer SU6 is costlier.
RJ-45 output do not give low jitter transfers, it needs internal reclocking, so the advantage of a clock in U18 is wasted. It is why all others switched LVDS/HDMI connection. In the absence of HDMI, S/PDIF (AES/EBU) is still a good option. In such case DI-20/DI-20-HE should be considered.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #1,149 of 1,507
I lost my feeling for the hobby once I sold the Pavane. I did enjoy the Morpheus but once I had it, I kept changing other components trying to get back that musical presentation. It got to the point I was listening to the equipment instead of enjoying the music, and so I sold everything. About three weeks ago I started thinking about maybe getting a Pavane again. I saw one for sale in Canada. Lo and behold it was the guy I sold my Pavane to. I bought it.

The Pavane was a little pissed when I opened the box. Started saying stuff like how could you let me go?? I told him, Welcome to Head-Fi.

Good to read about this. I have the same feeling with my Chord TT2 after selling my amethyst DAC. The Amethyst was my first love, and you know what they say over first love...haha

Jul 5, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #1,150 of 1,507
Good to read about this. I have the same feeling with my Chord TT2 after selling my amethyst DAC. The Amethyst was my first love, and you know what they say over first love...haha
I think what often times happens is we find something we like and sounds really good, and then we think is something out there that’s even better than this?

Jul 5, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #1,151 of 1,507
I think what often times happens is we find something we like and sounds really good, and then we think is something out there that’s even better than this?
Jokes aside, there is something more important than perceived sound quality. A taste is a personal things, we don't hear the same way, our music choice is different as well. It can be also a desire for a status in a society. A salesman will ask you one question when evaluating your satisfaction: "how much your music library has increased during a time". This is what a good salesman can do to ensure that a customer comes back later. And we come back, as we always look on the side of a road...

For me the most important when evaluating DAC is a fatigue factor. How long I can keep listening at a full volume before I want switch it off. When I want to switch it off, I do. Write down a log entry after each session. There are devices I cannot listen for longer than 20 minutes. A sterile clean presentation of details dissappears, sound becomes harsh and unpleasant. Delta-Sigma devices have either digital glare in top frequency range or do not carry required timbre and texture that allow me to enjoy music. The first converter I accepted CD was PCM-63, despite of improvements in technology it didn't change: R2R DAC is my choice. I can't afford expensive one, have fallen in love with Audio GD R2R-11 upgraded later DIY with low jitter oscilators.

I am lurking here, just want to tell that you are also long time R2R fan, this things won't change during our lifetime. I'd like to hear your opinion when comparing other R2R brands than Sonnet/Metrum.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back