Sonnet Digital Audio: New kid on the block, well.. not really!
Jul 18, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #1,456 of 1,507
Only my first hr with SU-6 so no comment as of now on SQ but can definitely play file up to 384kHz out of Metrum and Sonnet DAC via I2S and that in itself presents unique proposition for respective DAC owners. However DDC means more work as you need good transport for it.
IME a Pi4 with USB out to the DDC is sufficient for superb SQ.

Jul 19, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #1,457 of 1,507
Well SU-6 with HQPlayer is liquid smooth with good soundstage width and layering with Sonnet DAC. Should be in wishlist of anyone with Sonnet DAC. I don’t see anyone being disappointed with it.
Have to do A-B with Ambre which is lot of work.

Jul 19, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #1,458 of 1,507
Well SU-6 with HQPlayer is liquid smooth with good soundstage width and layering with Sonnet DAC. Should be in wishlist of anyone with Sonnet DAC. I don’t see anyone being disappointed with it.
Have to do A-B with Ambre which is lot of work.
Curious to see how Ambre compares.

Aug 1, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #1,459 of 1,507
Curious to see how Ambre compares.
I think SU-6 with default Power brick is very close to Ambre but with good power supply it definitely moves ahead. Doesn’t make much sense as SU-6 has super capacitor and power brick only charges it but I reluctantly tried Hypsos with it at 7.5v and it has taken it a notch or two above. There is definite improvement in dynamics and bass for sure is hitting harder. Guitar notes have added weight and Clarity and imaging I feel is better than Ambre. I haven’t done any A-B but I was used to Ambre Sound and can feel the change in SQ.
SU-6 with good power supply is a good pair with Sonnet DAC. I’m running 8x upsampling as well fro HQPlayer

Aug 1, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #1,460 of 1,507
I think SU-6 with default Power brick is very close to Ambre but with good power supply it definitely moves ahead. Doesn’t make much sense as SU-6 has super capacitor and power brick only charges it but I reluctantly tried Hypsos with it at 7.5v and it has taken it a notch or two above. There is definite improvement in dynamics and bass for sure is hitting harder. Guitar notes have added weight and Clarity and imaging I feel is better than Ambre. I haven’t done any A-B but I was used to Ambre Sound and can feel the change in SQ.
SU-6 with good power supply is a good pair with Sonnet DAC. I’m running 8x upsampling as well fro HQPlayer
Thank you!

The Metrum/Sonnet streamers were excellent when released, and still deliver a fine performance, but it's becoming more clear that there's been no technological development since and the rest of the market has moved on a lot.

Aug 1, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #1,461 of 1,507
Did SU-6 works native via I2S?

Aug 1, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #1,462 of 1,507
Aug 2, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #1,463 of 1,507
Thank you!

The Metrum/Sonnet streamers were excellent when released, and still deliver a fine performance, but it's becoming more clear that there's been no technological development since and the rest of the market has moved on a lot.
I’d gladly buy new technically improved streamers by Sonnet/Metrum. I hope they are developing something better & unique. 🤞🏻

Aug 2, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #1,464 of 1,507
I’d gladly buy new technically improved streamers by Sonnet/Metrum. I hope they are developing something better & unique. 🤞🏻
Honestly, I'd love them to release a load of new products, but there's no sign that's going to happen sadly.

Aug 2, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #1,465 of 1,507
Denafrips has launched a new streamer called ARCE but unlike their DDCs the buffered I2S has been removed from it. Had it been with buffered I2S as well then it would have been an interesting product for Sonnet or Metrum owners.

Aug 3, 2023 at 2:16 AM Post #1,466 of 1,507
Denafrips has launched a new streamer called ARCE but unlike their DDCs the buffered I2S has been removed from it. Had it been with buffered I2S as well then it would have been an interesting product for Sonnet or Metrum owners.
Denafrips are using custom Linux OS. They have also developed rpi4 like board with better parts. Arce will have better synergy with denafrips dacs. Same goes with Holo Red.
I’m using rpi4 in ambre (gentooplayer diretta Target/endpoint) with su6. This arrangement improves su6 output vs direct connection to server (Linux/win/Mac).

Aug 3, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #1,467 of 1,507
I thought I saw I2S output on one of the photos?

Aug 3, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #1,468 of 1,507
Not sure if I mentioned this, but I had an email conversation with Alvin, where he suggested a DDC would be pointless in an Arce > DDC > DAC chain. I took it that meant that the Arce output was at least as good as that from a DDC.

Aug 3, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #1,469 of 1,507
Not sure if I mentioned this, but I had an email conversation with Alvin, where he suggested a DDC would be pointless in an Arce > DDC > DAC chain. I took it that meant that the Arce output was at least as good as that from a DDC.
DDC is used mostly with PC to isolate DAC from PC noise and most DDC take USB in and then reclock the signal to output as coax, AES, I2S. A streamer does all that so no need to add DDC again.

Aug 3, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #1,470 of 1,507
I thought I saw I2S output on one of the photos?
From Denafrips website :
"The ARCE streamer boasts versatile digital output capabilities, with a standout feature being the i2s connection. This enables users to seamlessly connect the streamer to external DACs that support this unique and high-fidelity digital connection, such as the DENAFRIPS Ares 12th-1. "

Users who are viewing this thread

Back