SonicAdventure Reality Headphone Amplifier Review
Oct 16, 2002 at 11:43 PM Post #31 of 61
I haven't heard the Earmax Pro. Maybe Nick can speak to that. From what is said here on the forum, the EMP is oft described as a thick, lush "tubey" sound which is not how I felt about the Sonic.

Someone brought an EMP to the last Dallas meet but the way I understand it, the EMP got really scared and nervous when it heard the RKV was coming and begged its owner to take it home.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2002 at 12:44 AM Post #32 of 61
Last month Dusty Chalk and I stuck some Mullards into his Earmax Pro. This was an ear opener. Into low-impedance cans, particularly Audio Technica's, sound was very clean with a lot of impact. It also did well with high-impedance cans, Beyers and HD-600, although the Moretto HAP-03 provided strong competition with those.

Oct 17, 2002 at 1:06 AM Post #33 of 61
The Earmax Pro is a gem, but it occupies a precarious niche at its high price point. $750 is almost enough to get the magnificent AudioValve RKV from Jan Meier. From the budget perspective, $750 would buy you two MG Head OTL amps and leave enough to outfit them both with great tubes.

So, why would anyone get an EMP? Don't underestimate the importance of portability! It can go places other tube amps dare not to tread. Dragging the MG Head OTL, RKV, and Twin Head to work and back is not fun. No co-worker will respect you for bringing your audio doodads in a wheelbarrow.

With that out of the way...

The Sonic Adventure amp has tubes but does not sound like traditional tubey-ish amps such as the MG Head and EMP. It reminds me of a Melos SHA-1. Lots of high frequency power, speed, and details. At $370, it is an affordable alternative to a used Melos amp. The middle price tier now has its bases covered:

Amps in the $325-$375 range:

Tubey: MG Head OTL, Radii/Moretto HAP-03
Hybrid: Sonic Adventure, Mapletree Ear+
Solid State: Corda HA-1

Oct 17, 2002 at 11:04 AM Post #34 of 61
Thanks for the infos to all.

Nick: Yup, the small footprint of the EMP fascinated me, too. But the Reality wouldn't be much bigger - and over here, the pricing should be similar at around 500 Euro, too, I guess. So as I already have the HA-1, the 100% and 50% tube solutions EMP and Reality seem to be most interesting to me.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Oct 17, 2002 at 2:29 PM Post #35 of 61
Reality not much bigger? The Reality is larger than a HeadRoom Max and is quite heavy.

Oct 17, 2002 at 3:22 PM Post #36 of 61
Great review, kelly!

Just a marginal note:
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
I haven't heard the Earmax Pro. ... From what is said here on the forum, the EMP is oft described as a thick, lush "tubey" sound... Someone brought an EMP to the last Dallas meet but the way I understand it, the EMP got really scared and nervous when it heard the RKV was coming and begged its owner to take it home.
smily_headphones1.gif

The Earmax Pro is all but thick. It's tremendously transparent and extended – even the Corda Blue, which you know, can't compete in this regard –, with a strong low bass, and downright treble-friendly. Also «lush» doesn't meet its character, it's rather neutral and naturally sounding.

This just to defend the EMP's honour against any frivolous dispraise. Because of its relatively high price in the US there are possibly not many people who can judge it by themselves. It's the best headphone amp I know and own. Despite the Corda Blue.

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Oct 17, 2002 at 3:37 PM Post #37 of 61
Jazz
Transparent and neutral is certainly contrary to what I've heard it described as by other people. It's still on "the list" of amps I'd like to audition.

Oct 17, 2002 at 3:58 PM Post #38 of 61
kelly, believe me!
smily_headphones1.gif

(We're talking about Telefunken ECC108 + Telefunken/Siemens E88CC.)

That doesn't prevent me from fancying the Sonic Adventure... but I think enough is enough.

Oct 17, 2002 at 4:43 PM Post #39 of 61
JaZZ,
you're right about the EMP, of course. But I think you're talking about a Telefunken ECC801 as the input tube. I use a Telefunken ECC801S in my EMP and it's extremely neutral and seductively musical.

Oct 17, 2002 at 4:57 PM Post #40 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by Tomcat
JaZZ,
you're right about the EMP, of course. But I think you're talking about a Telefunken ECC801 as the input tube. I use a Telefunken ECC801S in my EMP and it's extremely neutral and seductively musical.

What does "seductively musical" mean? I tend to think that when people use the word seductive that they don't mean "neutral and transparent."

Oct 17, 2002 at 5:12 PM Post #41 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
What does "seductively musical" mean? I tend to think that when people use the word seductive that they don't mean "neutral and transparent."

[seductive] usually sounds not very natural / neutral.. think..

Oct 17, 2002 at 6:46 PM Post #42 of 61
Tomcat...

...yes, I meant ECC801.
tongue.gif

For me an amp – headphones or speakers – has to be «seductive» to be credibly natural = neutral, as well as every live concert. Aren't the violins in a symphony seductive there? They are, for sure. I think some of us are used or tempted to rate a rather dry, analytical reproduction as «neutral», from a kind of puritanical point of view...
wink.gif

Which is the true sound? First we have to accept that every source electronics have their innate sound, too, which the amp can leave (as colored) as it is (if the amp is absolutely neutral) or compensate more or less until it's perceived as quite natural. No one of us knows how a source or an amp really has to sound (except for me*
cool.gif
). There are always just estimates on the basis of the involved components. Anyway, I'm lucky to have the possibility to rate the sound of my amps relatively objectively: my Theta DAC has a very strong output signal that even can drive an AKG K 501 with ease. *I use a 500 ohm potentiometer as attenuator. That way I really know the original sound and can hear what the connected amps make of it.

The truth is: the Earmax Pro modifies the input signal just very, very slightly! Just a soupcon of extra brilliance and a minimally softer bass. Anyway, it's very much the same sound character – other than the other two amps. But the Corda Blue is nevertheless a great amp, and I rate it equal to the EMP, it just isn't that neutral. That's my story.

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Oct 17, 2002 at 8:46 PM Post #44 of 61
EMP is only 500 euros in europe? Could someone please direct me to the websites with the best prices in europe? Im no electronics wiz but with an inexpensive voltage conveter inbetween the EMP power supply and the wall outlet it should opperate fine, no? If this works wouldnt it be a much better alternative to spending $700 and getting a us-ready EMP? Sorry I dont know anything about voltage, current, power, techno babble stuff.

Oct 17, 2002 at 9:14 PM Post #45 of 61

Users who are viewing this thread

Back