Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer
Aug 25, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #391 of 1,216
Hey everyone. I was looking for a portable dac/amp compatible with android. I was about to pull the trigger on the Leckerton UHA 6S MKII but for some reason Paypal won't accept my debit card.

While looking for alternatives, I found this thread and I think I'll buy the MS. I just have some questions.

Does anyone have any experience with the Leckerton UHA 6S MKII? Could you provide a comparison?

Someone said that it would be a good idea to pair the MS with an amp just to get a proper volume knob. Has anyone used this with JDS Labs C5? The bass boost on the C5 always interested me, but with no dac function it doesn't support USB on the go. Maybe when paired with the MS it will work.

Do you thin it is necessary to get another amp, or is the MS's amp good enough? I own the Ultrasone Signature DJ. Listen mostly to electronic music and reggae, also some rock. Definitely a basshead.

Aug 25, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #392 of 1,216
we may not be able to change the world,well maybe we can, but that's not why we are all here !
what we are here for is the music, and how we listen to it, and we CAN do something about the
hi end audio/personal audio scene
everyone should read this article that michael wrote http://thehighfidelityreport.com/occupy/

Aug 25, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #393 of 1,216
Quote:
Hey everyone. I was looking for a portable dac/amp compatible with android. I was about to pull the trigger on the Leckerton UHA 6S MKII but for some reason Paypal won't accept my debit card.

While looking for alternatives, I found this thread and I think I'll buy the MS. I just have some questions.

Does anyone have any experience with the Leckerton UHA 6S MKII? Could you provide a comparison?

Someone said that it would be a good idea to pair the MS with an amp just to get a proper volume knob. Has anyone used this with JDS Labs C5? The bass boost on the C5 always interested me, but with no dac function it doesn't support USB on the go. Maybe when paired with the MS it will work.

Do you thin it is necessary to get another amp, or is the MS's amp good enough? I own the Ultrasone Signature DJ. Listen mostly to electronic music and reggae, also some rock. Definitely a basshead.

I have both the MicroStreamer and the JD Labs C5.  I listen mostly with my Heir Audio 4.As, and I would say the built-in amp on the MicroStreamer is plenty good.  Comparing them side-by-side the only difference I pick up on is the soundstage improves and the treble is a little more forward when adding the C5 to the mix.  However, the bass boost is great on the C5 and I find myself using it quite often when I listen to R&B and electronic as well as some rock stuff.  It really adds extra oomph without affecting any other frequency.  When I listen to jazz, I stick with just the MicroStreamer.

The other thing is, the C5 is meant for more efficient headphones and IEMs.  If the Ultrasone's are hard to drive, you should look elsewhere.  As far as I can tell, it won't be much more powerful than the built-in amp on the MicroStreamer.  I would probably suggest just getting the MicroStreamer without an amp first, as it sounds great on its own.  If you find yourself needing a little extra power, then look into an amp.

Aug 25, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #394 of 1,216
Quote:

I have both the MicroStreamer and the JD Labs C5.  I listen mostly with my Heir Audio 4.As, and I would say the built-in amp on the MicroStreamer is plenty good.  Comparing them side-by-side the only difference I pick up on is the soundstage improves and the treble is a little more forward when adding the C5 to the mix.  However, the bass boost is great on the C5 and I find myself using it quite often when I listen to R&B and electronic as well as some rock stuff.  It really adds extra oomph without affecting any other frequency.  When I listen to jazz, I stick with just the MicroStreamer.

The other thing is, the C5 is meant for more efficient headphones and IEMs.  If the Ultrasone's are hard to drive, you should look elsewhere.  As far as I can tell, it won't be much more powerful than the built-in amp on the MicroStreamer.  I would probably suggest just getting the MicroStreamer without an amp first, as it sounds great on its own.  If you find yourself needing a little extra power, then look into an amp.

Thank you so much for your impressions. The Sig DJS are not hard to drive, so volume levels will not be an issue. What does interest me is the increased soundstage and bass boost.

Would you say these two elements are worth the extra $200? The Sig DJS have an amazing soundstage and great bass, and I don't want to dampen their potential. I am very close to ordering both, just want to know if the difference is noticeable.

Aug 25, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #395 of 1,216
Quote:
Thank you so much for your impressions. The Sig DJS are not hard to drive, so volume levels will not be an issue. What does interest me is the increased soundstage and bass boost.

Would you say these two elements are worth the extra $200? The Sig DJS have an amazing soundstage and great bass, and I don't want to dampen their potential. I am very close to ordering both, just want to know if the difference is noticeable.

I'd say if you were only using the C5 with the MicroStreamer, it wouldn't be worth it to get both.  The difference is noticeable in a lot of cases,  but not night and day, and in some cases I do not hear a difference. Some of that might have to do with the soundstage limitations of IEMs though.

On their own though, both pieces of gear are great and worth the price if you plan on using them together and separately.  The  MicroStreamer is a very good dac/amp that has a smooth sound with plenty of detail, while the C5 is a nice little neutral amp that doesn't add anything much to the mix with a black background and nice soundstage.  I just think that together, the $200 price jump isn't quite justified.

I will offer the obligatory Head-Fi advice that you can get both and sell whatever you don't like.

Aug 25, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #396 of 1,216
Quote:
I'd say if you were only using the C5 with the MicroStreamer, it wouldn't be worth it to get both.  The difference is noticeable in a lot of cases,  but not night and day, and in some cases I do not hear a difference. Some of that might have to do with the soundstage limitations of IEMs though.

On their own though, both pieces of gear are great and worth the price if you plan on using them together and separately.  The  MicroStreamer is a very good dac/amp that has a smooth sound with plenty of detail, while the C5 is a nice little neutral amp that doesn't add anything much to the mix with a black background and nice soundstage.  I just think that together, the $200 price jump isn't quite justified.

I will offer the obligatory Head-Fi advice that you can get both and sell whatever you don't like.

Thanks a lot for the honest advice. I will be placing an order for the MicroStreamer. The C5 on its own, for the lack of a dac, is not what I need.

Aug 25, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #397 of 1,216
I just see the little guy as a no-brainer at its pricepoint - even if I do upgrade to a more expensive DAC further down the line, it's just so handy to have something this tiny for so little money. If there is a downside, its purely that I dont trust Windows digital volume control.

Aug 26, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #398 of 1,216
Quote:
I just see the little guy as a no-brainer at its pricepoint - even if I do upgrade to a more expensive DAC further down the line, it's just so handy to have something this tiny for so little money. If there is a downside, its purely that I dont trust Windows digital volume control.

yeah I've ended up using my microStreamer as a DAC in a pinch at Meets (when somebody forgot a DAC), even when I first moved into our new place weeks ago - 
I put it in front of the ALO Pan Am and it sounded like a terrific combo!

I carry it w/ me everywhere too.
I actually use the older-style pull-string suede Dragonfly bag!!

Aug 26, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #399 of 1,216
Just added the Asgard to my chain, using it with the uS line out and it's an AWESOME combo! The bass really has a pop and twang to it now, and the mids don't feel as aggressive as they did coming straight out of the uS, which, coupled with a wider soundstage, gives my HD650 a much more dynamic sound. I think this might just be my end-game!

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #400 of 1,216
Quote:
Just added the Asgard to my chain, using it with the uS line out and it's an AWESOME combo! The bass really has a pop and twang to it now, and the mids don't feel as aggressive as they did coming straight out of the uS, which, coupled with a wider soundstage, gives my HD650 a much more dynamic sound. I think this might just be my end-game!

well that's a goal to strive for!!

so you're using the microStreamer as the DAC?
SORRY, haven't had my coffee yet

Aug 26, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #401 of 1,216
I am! Its doing a great job too; I've got a sample of the MS HD and I think its definitely an full step up from the uS as a DAC alone, but the uS certainly holds its own.
well that's a goal to strive for!!

so you're using the microStreamer as the DAC?
SORRY, haven't had my coffee yet

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #403 of 1,216
Quote:
Yeah I gotta get on that: Checking out the HRT HD

yeah, i haven't heard all that much about it, and with me liking the lyr so much, its got me thinking bifrost, but i've become such a fan of HRT, but i don't need balanced conections
and one of the things i read was whether it was a significant jump up from the msii+

Aug 26, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #404 of 1,216
Quote:
yeah, i haven't heard all that much about it, and with me liking the lyr so much, its got me thinking bifrost, but i've become such a fan of HRT, but i don't need balanced conections
and one of the things i read was whether it was a significant jump up from the msii+

Now I've heard the HD - but to be honest, it didn't WOW me enough to think I'd like to drop my MSII+!

Now, for pro applications, and for balanced - its KILLER.  But my E.A.R 868 only has one balanced input anyway
(and my Oppo 105 takes that slot).

But still, with all these new products coming out - the microStreamer STILL holds up musically!
That's a mark of a great product

Aug 26, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #405 of 1,216
Quote:
Now I've heard the HD - but to be honest, it didn't WOW me enough to think I'd like to drop my MSII+!

Now, for pro applications, and for balanced - its KILLER.  But my E.A.R 868 only has one balanced input anyway
(and my Oppo 105 takes that slot).

But still, with all these new products coming out - the microStreamer STILL holds up musically!
That's a mark of a great product

that was kind of the general feeling i'd heard about the hd, if you didn't have the ii+, or you needed balanced
as for the micro, to me, its like a whole different type product, i just never have been the portable type
the ii+ is like a bigger micro, it a similar sound, but BIGGER 
oh it more than holds up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back