Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer
Sep 23, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #1,006 of 1,216
I don't think you are 'missing' anything at all, the microStreamer's headphone amplifier is higher performance than most by a good margin.  Certainly, the presence of an actual line output allows you to test with other amplifiers, but I suspect you will find that the combination is indeed a good pairing.

Kevin Halverson
CTO
High Resolution Technologies, LLC
good to know. HRT has been very helpful as well. Great product here

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #1,008 of 1,216
  Happy to have been able to assist.

Should you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact our support staff at anytime.  A link can be found on the Support page of the HRT website.

Kevin Halverson
CTO

We LOVE having you in the thread w/ us Kevin!!

Sep 29, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #1,010 of 1,216
Hi Mike,

Amazing to see how big this thread has grown! We're happy to be here too.

Kevin Halverson
CTO

That's a testament to your engineering prowess Mr. Halverson!
I'm VERY eager to hear the Airstreamer!

I'll drop you an email about that. Would LOVE to cover it for Audio360.org.

Also: So for those that remember - when I started this thread I did so by sharing my passion for the microStreamer, and by sharing my full review from Positive Feedback. I was VERY nervous about it. I'd never started a thread with a review before, and I didn't want fellow members to think I was all cocky or something - sharing my own review in the thread starter!!

But it worked out!
And part of that original review was an image of the microStreamer driving my Audeze LCD-3!

and the lil' beast handled it with precision, power (enough for my taste anyway) and finesse!

Well - recently I tried driving the new LCD-2 and 3 w/ Fazor:
Holy F___$%^&^%^%!!!!!

It's unbelievable Kevin, how you packed such a refined, dynamic, and powerful amp into this magic little aluminum brick!!
o2smile.gif

I also LOVE the dedicated 2.25v line output.
This way there's NO guessing -or screwing w/ the gain to get it sounding right when using it as a DAC!
and I end up with it in my messenger bag all the time - and have used it as a DAC on MANY occasions!

It's a KILLER lil' music-making machine sir.

Sep 29, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #1,011 of 1,216
So after struggling to get the uS going with my S3, I'm now using it instead with Galaxy Tab S and Sony XBA-4. Seemingly great combo.

I got an email recently about the Fiio X1. Does anyone know how the X1 would fare against my current setup with the uS?

For anyone interested, I also used the line out from the uS into a Topping Tp22 feeding a pair of Micca MB42X bookshelves, and to my ears sounded superb.

Sep 29, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #1,012 of 1,216
  And part of that original review was an image of the microStreamer driving my Audeze LCD-3!

and the lil' beast handled it with precision, power (enough for my taste anyway) and finesse!

Yeah, I love using the LCDs and microStreamer pairing too; they really are a magical combination.  

Thank Michael for starting this thread, it really has taken on a life of its own and I don't think that 'seed' of your review was a problem for anyone, look how far it has gone.

Kevin

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #1,013 of 1,216
In the past month, in addition to this Micorstreamer, I've bought a pair of Sony MA900, Pioneer SA-E1000, iGrados and just last night I ordered a used pair of K702s from ebay.  Can anyone tell me if the Microstreamer can drive the AKG K702 successfully without further amplification?  Thanks.

Oct 14, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #1,014 of 1,216
Anyone out there with a LG G3 (I have the international version), using HRT µstreamer and experiencing the high pitch sound in left ear and hiss in both sides of the headphones? I use WiMP Hifi streaming service (flac) and flac files. The pitch sound disappears when pausing but starts when playing.
I experience the same thing when using my wife's OnePlus One. I have Philips Fidelio L2 and JH Audio JH13 Pros. Maybe Kevin has an explanation
normal_smile .gif

Oct 14, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #1,015 of 1,216
  In the past month, in addition to this Micorstreamer, I've bought a pair of Sony MA900, Pioneer SA-E1000, iGrados and just last night I ordered a used pair of K702s from ebay.  Can anyone tell me if the Microstreamer can drive the AKG K702 successfully without further amplification?  Thanks.

HRT offers a headphone calculator that can be used to determine the compatibility of any intended pairing.  Please email our support at support@hirestech.com and request a copy of the calculator.  Rather than 'guess' or reply upon opinion, it is better to know and the calculator will allow you to do just that.

Kevin Halverson
CTO

Oct 14, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #1,016 of 1,216
  Anyone out there with a LG G3 (I have the international version), using HRT µstreamer and experiencing the high pitch sound in left ear and hiss in both sides of the headphones? I use WiMP Hifi streaming service (flac) and flac files. The pitch sound disappears when pausing but starts when playing.
I experience the same thing when using my wife's OnePlus One. I have Philips Fidelio L2 and JH Audio JH13 Pros. Maybe Kevin has an explanation
normal_smile .gif

That is a rather strange behavior.  Since the 'sound' disappears when you start playing, I am wondering about the characteristics of the G3's bus power.  Have you moved the microStreamer and same headphones to a different host (perhaps a computer)?

Kevin Halverson
CTO

Oct 14, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #1,017 of 1,216
  That is a rather strange behavior.  Since the 'sound' disappears when you start playing, I am wondering about the characteristics of the G3's bus power.  Have you moved the microStreamer and same headphones to a different host (perhaps a computer)?

Kevin Halverson
CTO

You're probably right since it appears for both the LG and one+. The µstreamer works just fine with my computer; no hiss or pitch at all. Maybe the problem is related to Android version, I read that there are some audio problems with the 4.4.2 version. There are most likely ROMS that fix the problems, but I'm done with rooting and flashing. I just want things to work, not asking for much, huh?

Oct 14, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #1,018 of 1,216
  You're probably right since it appears for both the LG and one+. The µstreamer works just fine with my computer; no hiss or pitch at all. Maybe the problem is related to Android version, I read that there are some audio problems with the 4.4.2 version. There are most likely ROMS that fix the problems, but I'm done with rooting and flashing. I just want things to work, not asking for much, huh?

If you would like to contact HRT through our support portal (support@hirestech.com) we can likely provide some testing steps you can use to make a definitive determination if the behavior of the LG host is based upon its hardware characteristics or the phone's firmware.  I suspect that the volume interface of this phone isn't correct and it is not making proper use of the microStreamer's digitally controlled analog attenuator and is instead using digital attenuation on the host side.  A very simple test will verify this suspicion.  

Rather than installing 'questionable' "ROMS" (actually device firmware) I would suggest waiting to try the forthcoming "L" variant of Android OS that is forthcoming as improved support for USB audio devices is one of the features this version promises.  

Kevin Halverson
CTO

Oct 14, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #1,019 of 1,216
  If you would like to contact HRT through our support portal (support@hirestech.com) we can likely provide some testing steps you can use to make a definitive determination if the behavior of the LG host is based upon its hardware characteristics or the phone's firmware.  I suspect that the volume interface of this phone isn't correct and it is not making proper use of the microStreamer's digitally controlled analog attenuator and is instead using digital attenuation on the host side.  A very simple test will verify this suspicion.  

Rather than installing 'questionable' "ROMS" (actually device firmware) I would suggest waiting to try the forthcoming "L" variant of Android OS that is forthcoming as improved support for USB audio devices is one of the features this version promises.  

Kevin Halverson
CTO

Thanks Kevin! I will contact you directly to verify this.

Oct 16, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #1,020 of 1,216
  Thanks Kevin! I will contact you directly to verify this.

Kevin's THE MAN!

So, enter the microStreamer again as a life-saver!

As I've been in post-RMAF-Canjam-Syndrome I've been using my wifeys desk in the front of the house where I have a small headphone rig when I wanna work up there (the Sonic Satori Personal Audio Lab is in my office at the back of the house) and check out the beautiful view outside and just CHILL.

Well - I started to get distortion in the system - consisting of my MYTEK Stereo-192 DSD DAC and NuForce HAP-100 Class A solid-state stereo headphone amp, and I realized it was coming from the MYTEK! So, I got out my trusty MS with its dedicated line-output, hooked up a Moon Audio USB cable, my Nordost mini-RCA iKable, and BANG! The sound was CLEAN, dynamic, and weighty! Not bad for a $199 DAC/Amp the size of a zippo!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back