Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer
Feb 8, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #857 of 1,216
It depends on what the rest of the gear is :)

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #858 of 1,216
No it doesn't. $70 for a USB cable is a usurious price, period; it can't possibly cost anything close to that to design, build, and ship. I mean, what, is all the wiring gold and it's got a woven kevlar wrap that's sprayed with teflon? Seriously. These people are making 1,000%+ profit margins. Absolutely vile.

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #859 of 1,216

I tried stable CyanogenMOD 10.2, 11 nightly, and in both cases I also flashed ktoonz kernel just to try. In every case I get the clicking noises. It's sad because it works without any extra app.

I also tried a Y shape OTG usb cable without any luck. I returned to stock ROM, I'm not sure if I want to try to buy a powered usb hub. Adding those extra cables kills the portabilty.

I'll wait if cyanogen solves this problem... Tell us please any news about it. I really don't like AUPP solution. I want to use streaming services for music.

The problem seems to be solved on my nexus 5 finally - the clicks and pops are almost completely gone. I've been trying all CM nightlies for a long time, the one from yesterday seems working (CM-11-20140209)!! I hear a sole pop very seldom and it is not repetitive like before - like listening to a vinyl :wink:
Kudos to the CM developers

I'm glad with my setup now - I only miss the volume control - I use a physical pot. Maybe the franco kernel provides this missing piece.

EDIT:
frown.gif
Unfortunately my joy was too early, the problem is back after a reboot. The popping starts after 4-5 minutes of listening again. I have no idea how was it working just fine yesterday morning.....

Mar 1, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #860 of 1,216
Greetings everyone, and pleased to meet you! I recently joined the Head-fi forum, though I've visited the site previously to research the HRT microstreamer. I'm probably late to the party, but I bought the Microstreamer just over a month ago, and I have to say this thread was the main reason for doing so! :D (Ok, what really pushed me was mikemercer's photo with his Audeze LCD3 connected to the MS ha ha)

I listen to all my music through my PC > Microstreamer (previously using Asus Xonar Essence STX) > Audio- Technica ATH A700X. 
Mainly get my music from Spotify premium though I have converted some of my CDs to lossless in itunes.

Music wise, my tastes run to Classical (piano concertos and currently Beethoven quite a bit), and mainly 60s/oldies music (soul, rock, jazz).   

Comparing to the difference between the Asus soundcard and the MS I do notice a slight brighter and cleaner (?) sound with the MS. Though to be honest, I haven't really gone and compared since getting the MS. The asus is a great piece of kit in itself and sound quality for me was great. However what I do know is that I love the sound of the music when I listen on the MS. 

I enjoy exploring and listening to the various components of a song to really get into a song and its construction. One of the reasons why classical music is appealing to me is that the layers of the orchestral instruments are so interesting. Same reason why I love listening to Beatles outtakes on youtube. I have found doing this such a joy with the MS.

Being a university student, I hope to be using the MS with my laptop (yet to buy a portable closed back headphone) whilst revising for my forthcoming law exams.

One question - I've been saving up for about a year and a half for beyerdynamic T1 and amp. Amp-wise I will go with Meier Corda Classic. What are your thoughts on using the MS within this set up? I'm new to the audio equipment world, so please be gentle with me :)

Thanks all!

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #861 of 1,216
  Greetings everyone, and pleased to meet you! I recently joined the Head-fi forum, though I've visited the site previously to research the HRT microstreamer. I'm probably late to the party, but I bought the Microstreamer just over a month ago, and I have to say this thread was the main reason for doing so! :D (Ok, what really pushed me was mikemercer's photo with his Audeze LCD3 connected to the MS ha ha)

I listen to all my music through my PC > Microstreamer (previously using Asus Xonar Essence STX) > Audio- Technica ATH A700X. 
Mainly get my music from Spotify premium though I have converted some of my CDs to lossless in itunes.

Music wise, my tastes run to Classical (piano concertos and currently Beethoven quite a bit), and mainly 60s/oldies music (soul, rock, jazz).   

Comparing to the difference between the Asus soundcard and the MS I do notice a slight brighter and cleaner (?) sound with the MS. Though to be honest, I haven't really gone and compared since getting the MS. The asus is a great piece of kit in itself and sound quality for me was great. However what I do know is that I love the sound of the music when I listen on the MS. 

I enjoy exploring and listening to the various components of a song to really get into a song and its construction. One of the reasons why classical music is appealing to me is that the layers of the orchestral instruments are so interesting. Same reason why I love listening to Beatles outtakes on youtube. I have found doing this such a joy with the MS.

Being a university student, I hope to be using the MS with my laptop (yet to buy a portable closed back headphone) whilst revising for my forthcoming law exams.

One question - I've been saving up for about a year and a half for beyerdynamic T1 and amp. Amp-wise I will go with Meier Corda Classic. What are your thoughts on using the MS within this set up? I'm new to the audio equipment world, so please be gentle with me :)

Thanks all!

Zombie_X is the man to ask about beyers my friend!

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #862 of 1,216
I haven't heard the T1s, but I'm tempted to tell you not to bother...I had the HD650 with my MS for a while, and it really just didn't do them justice, even with an Asgard for extra power. I don't think the MS is capable of recreating the depth and extension that higher end headphones utilize; if you were using a DT880 I'd say go for it, but if the MS made the HD650 sound flat, odds are it will really disappoint the T1.

Good combo with my DT770 LE though, the softness of the MS's bass holds back the potentially excessive boom that a lot of DT770 users report, which I've heard from my DT770 out of other sources,but with the MS holding its leash the DT770 goes deep but doesn't sound as bloated.

Thanks all!

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #864 of 1,216
I haven't heard the T1s, but I'm tempted to tell you not to bother...I had the HD650 with my MS for a while, and it really just didn't do them justice, even with an Asgard for extra power. I don't think the MS is capable of recreating the depth and extension that higher end headphones utilize; if you were using a DT880 I'd say go for it, but if the MS made the HD650 sound flat, odds are it will really disappoint the T1.

Good combo with my DT770 LE though, the softness of the MS's bass holds back the potentially excessive boom that a lot of DT770 users report, which I've heard from my DT770 out of other sources,but with the MS holding its leash the DT770 goes deep but doesn't sound as bloated.

Hmmn thank you... this is something to consider... Was it that bad with the HD650? I haven't used those headphones myself. Having no experience of much audio gear, I can't envisage whether I would be able to enjoy the music. meier have a sale going on at the moment, so it would be an ideal time to get dac, amp deal....

Oh dear, I'm very much confounded now... :S

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #865 of 1,216
Bad? No. The bright tilt of the MS actually helped the 650s' darker tonality. But I could very clearly tell the whole time I had the combo that the MS just didn't unleash the 650s' real potential. I wound up selling the 650s as a result.
Hmmn thank you... this is something to consider... Was it that bad with the HD650? I haven't used those headphones myself. Having no experience of much audio gear, I can't envisage whether I would be able to enjoy the music. meier have a sale going on at the moment, so it would be an ideal time to get dac, amp deal....

Oh dear, I'm very much confounded now... :S

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #868 of 1,216
"Anyone know where I can find a usb cable miniB to microB? I found one on eBay (12 USD), but 46 USD for delivery."

What is your intended application for such a cable?  If you are assuming that this can be used as a host mode interface.  There are some very specific requirements beyond just the gender and size of the USB connectors utilized.  If you would like more information, please feel free to email either myself or our general support email address 

kevin@hirestech.com
support@hirestech.com

Kevin Halverson
CTO
High Resolution Technologies, LLC

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #869 of 1,216
"Anyone know where I can find a usb cable miniB to microB? I found one on eBay (12 USD), but 46 USD for delivery."

What is your intended application for such a cable?  If you are assuming that this can be used as a host mode interface.  There are some very specific requirements beyond just the gender and size of the USB connectors utilized.  If you would like more information, please feel free to email either myself or our general support email address 

kevin@hirestech.com
support@hirestech.com

Kevin Halverson
CTO
High Resolution Technologies, LLC

Hi Kevin.

I only need a longer cable to use with MS and my Galaxy Note 3.

I appreciate your help.

Mar 11, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #870 of 1,216
Anyone know where I can find a usb cable miniB to microB?
I found one on eBay (12 USD), but 46 USD for delivery.

I appreciate any help. :)

I purchased such a cable from Forza Audioworks in Poland. They customize according to your specifications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back