SongView.org Project
Jan 16, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #46 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sure is. all aboard!!! the pain train is chuggin along!!!

follow the instructions!!! if they are unclear, check my example!!! if you understand it then you can help others by fixing my instructions!!!

Dude, you were more productive at home than I was at work today! I owe you a beer or twelve. Or a keg.

Jan 16, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #48 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As soon as toastmaster has finished the transfer, the website will be fully operational. Images will be enabled to. Start submitting!

I'll start on those CDs I listed earlier once I get home.

Jan 16, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #50 of 102
Do you know how long that will take and how much bandwidth it would consume to post all of those waveforms? No one's gonna want to waste their time doing that.

I have around 2000 albums, no way I could hardly even get started on it.

Jan 16, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #53 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by warMen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you know how long that will take and how much bandwidth it would consume to post all of those waveforms? No one's gonna want to waste their time doing that.

I have around 2000 albums, no way I could hardly even get started on it.

It's not going to be there overnight but over time I expect it will get more comprehensive and useful. Bandwidth isn't that big a deal, no one it going have their whole collection posted that quickly, as you say it would take a lot of time. I'm happy to spend some regular time uploading information about CDs on here, it could be very useful making future purchasing decisions.

Jan 16, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #54 of 102
Im seeing some albums popping up. Be sure to include album information with the album like the Tool - Lateralus one. Also, to make it easier for those with slower internet, please compress the images with photoshop or something so that they are 100kb or less. Its relatively easy, just use .gif compression and use 16 colors. Its plenty for the waveforms and doesn't affect the spectrograms too much.

Jan 16, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #55 of 102
Ok I got dibs on Massive Attack's Blue Lines, Protection, Mezzanine, and 100th Window!
tongue.gif

Jan 16, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #57 of 102
If the album is a reissue which year should we put, the year the original was released or the year the reissue was released? For example, the album Machine Head was originally released in 1972, but the CD I have was released in 1990. Should I put 1972, or 1990 for the year?

Also, does anyone have any tips for reducing the size of the images? I saved them as png's, but the combined size for both images is still over 400kb.

Jan 16, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #59 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by meuler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the album is a reissue which year should we put, the year the original was released or the year the reissue was released? For example, the album Machine Head was originally released in 1972, but the CD I have was released in 1990. Should I put 1972, or 1990 for the year?

Also, does anyone have any tips for reducing the size of the images? I saved them as png's, but the combined size for both images is still over 400kb.

GIF it. Usually 8-bit color is enough for most Windows-based GUI shots.

Jan 16, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #60 of 102
IMPORTANT QUESTION?

Can someone with a legal background just make sure we are not breaking the
United States copyright law (or similiar) by posting waveforms of copyrighted works?

See the following for example..

http://www.answers.com/topic/aditl-in-audacity-png

notice the part that says "will not have a negative effect on revenue from the song. "

Users who are viewing this thread

Back