SongView.org Project
Jan 15, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #31 of 102
mirumu, excellent questions. We will decide on this at a later time.

I think the primary goal now is to develop/find a form that can be filled out by a user and then submitted. The submission will go into a pool of entries that can then be sorted and viewed according to different criteria (artist, track, album, release year, etc.). A mySQL database (or equivalent) will be necessary. If anyone has heard of such a component for MediaWiki or would be willing to develop one, please speak up.

Jan 15, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #32 of 102
I'd be willing to develop one but finding time is another matter, I seem to be quite short of it at the moment. Wouldn't like to promise it and then not deliver. Maybe there is already a MediaWiki component around though like you mentioned. Even if it needed some tweaking it wouldn't be as bad as starting from scratch.

Jan 15, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #33 of 102
ahhh, I wish toastmaster was on so I could get sysop'd and get FTP access so I can actually do more stuff!

We need contributors for the following wiki articles:

Reading a Waveform->Waveform Analysis

Feel free to add your own articles.

Do not worry about formatting too much. I can take care of that. Images are disabled as of now so in places where you would like to insert one, just copy and paste the URL to the image (no other tags or anything), as soon as it is enabled, they will become the images you linked.

Feel free to edit/suggest anything else.

Jan 15, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #36 of 102
Someone should write up a concise and easy to understand guide to help explain how to differentiate the good from the bad.
smily_headphones1.gif
With some very easy to read/see examples. Because honestly, I looked in the other thread, and as someone who is not familiar with how the music is mastered in the studio, one wave form looked pretty much like another.

I understand the basic concept but I didn't see any really clear examples.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #37 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jokieman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone should write up a concise and easy to understand guide to help explain how to differentiate the good from the bad.
smily_headphones1.gif
With some very easy to read/see examples. Because honestly, I looked in the other thread, and as someone who is not familiar with how the music is mastered in the studio, one wave form looked pretty much like another.

I understand the basic concept but I didn't see any really clear examples.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the suggestion. I am currently working on the procedure for capturing waveforms, etc and guides/tutorials. Cheers

Jan 15, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #38 of 102
We should make a foobar, winamp, or iTunes plugin to view the waveforms. That would make it much easier than opening something up in audacity and taking a screenshot, then uploading it. A waveform viewer plugin could be extended to submit it to a database with the click of a button. We would just need to set up the database and webserver to work with the plugin correctly.

I could do the programming, but I really don't have enough time. I could help work on part of it. It's just not something high up on my to-do list, because there are no surprises about the waveforms on new CDs for the most part.

But guys, honestly, it takes way too much to set up this waveform wiki that people will hardly see or use outside of these forums. It would make more sense to make a software plugin, because there is just way too much stuff out there and too many variables to do this project. Needless to say, it takes too much bandwidth, money, and maintenance, I just don't see it as a good idea, sorry.

Jan 15, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #39 of 102
We believe that this system will work. We believe with ample promotion, the wiki will garner a wide user base (head-fi is only the beginning) and create a self-sustaining wiki. Maintenance is in the hands of the people. For starters, we will use a web based form for uploading Audacity screenshots, but a future goal is to create software (possibly an Audacity plugin) that can automatically upload a waveform image to the database as well as the accompanying information at the click of a button. This would allow for uniform images of all the waveforms, and an easier method of uploading batches (such as entire albums at a time). The system relies on the vast collections of albums that everyone has and our goal is to streamline and simplify the uploading process.

Jan 15, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #42 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is anyone out there willing to help write some of the above mentioned programs?

Those are non-trivial pieces of software that would require significant time and effort to develop. They are also heavily dependent on how the SongView site functions so probably aren't worth looking into until that side of things is up and running.

I'd recommend the best way to start would be for us to create a simple editing/viewing template for MediaWiki and for now rely on MediaWiki itself to handle any sorting/searching. Otherwise we might be biting off more than we can chew. As long as this step is done right, migrating to a MySQL database later and/or writing programs/plugins to interface with the site is simpler and more achievable in smaller steps.

I had a quick look at the MediaWiki plugin API last night and it seems we can easily use their exposed hooks to modify the viewing, creation and editing behavior without too much trouble. I'm picturing something where upon creating a new page the user is shown a few fields to fill out, artist, mixing engineer, etc and given a file upload box/button for each of the two required pictures. The viewing side would just display this information in a pretty fashion.

Other programs/plugins written later could build on this and just submit this information via the edit page using http transactions. As long as we define the edit page properly this side should be relatively easy.

Jan 16, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #43 of 102
Ok, I have added basic functionality to the website. Users may begin submitting songs. Follow the instructions in "Community portal -> Submit New Waveform" to get started. Note: External embedded images have not yet been enabled, but you can still copy and paste the exact url to the image where you would want it. This does not require any tags. It will show up as simply a link to the image, but as soon as exteral images are enabled, it will turn into the image. Happy submitting!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back