Songs where the live version is the definitive version
Aug 20, 2011 at 9:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

TheWuss

Reviewer at Headphone.Guru
I've always been a "studio album" listener.  And moreover, I appreciate the craft that goes into the studio album.
And I also feel that this craft most often produces the "definitive version" of a given song.

Sometimes, though, a particular song might reach a new level of power and resonance in live performance.  This might be the result of experimenting with a new musical arrangement (Clapton's unplugged Laya, for example), or a moment of cathartic performance, or even both.

A fine example, that I'd like to start with, is Fleetwood Mac's "Big Love".
The version on Tango in the Night is a fine song, and a fine album opener.  But, when the song was performed live by Lindsey Buckingham (solo with guitar on The Dance DVD), it seemed to blossom into what I feel is the finest version of the song (and one of the more powerful live performances that I've seen in rock music).

Here's a Youtube video of the original version, followed by the live performance...

I'd love to hear what other people might point to, as great examples of songs that found their definitive voicing when performed live, rather than in the studio...

And I realize that there will be those among us who prefer live recordings in general.  And also bands whose reputation as live performers might mean that their live albums are the "go to" document of their music (Phish, for example).  But, I'd like to stay away from that subject matter, favoring those more "uncanny", singular live performances that transfixed us, and altered our perception of what the song could be...

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for sharing!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

The Wuss

Aug 20, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #2 of 37
i love Gentle Giant....alot of thier stuff had studio laced effects but the album "Live Playing The Fool" translates the bands abilities and energy very well. So this is my addition.

Aug 20, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #3 of 37
I can't help but say
Call of Ktulu
Master Of Puppets
For Whom the Bell Tolls
all by metallica.
But I guess S&M is a little bit more than 'just a live version'.

U2 - Bad - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHnXOSxka1Q - I would have to say this is the most definitive version of this song there is.
 - Streets have no name.

Aug 20, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #5 of 37
I'm not a big fan of live recordings with two exceptions. Mother by Danzig and Great White Buffalo by Ted Nugent. I think it's because the live version was the first version I'd heard of those songs. 

Aug 20, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #6 of 37
UFO.......... Lights Out
UFO..........Rock Bottom
Cheap Trick..........Surrender  FTW!

Aug 20, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 37
I'm not sure if these strictly count, but Sam Cooke at the Copacabana and Bill Evans' recordings at the Village Vanguard are real favorites. I don't think they have studio equivalents, but they're live albums I love.

And, yes, I usually go for studio albums, too. I like the controlled environment, the performers being able to have several takes, and crowd noise doesn't do anything for me.

Aug 20, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #8 of 37
I also try to avoid live recordings. But there's a couple of live albums that I actually enjoy:

MTV unplugged in New York - Nirvana
Songs of faith and devotion - Depeche Mode

Aug 20, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #11 of 37
King Crimson's "The world's my oyster soup kitchen floor wax museum" is better in Heavy Construkction live album than in the studio.

Actually a lot of King Crimson tunes are better live.

Aug 21, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #12 of 37
Joan Baez wrote Diamonds and Rust but in the day Judas Priest's Unleashed in the East live album had the definitive recording. The studio take of Diamonds by Priest is really not held as the best recording of it by them. 

Aug 21, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #13 of 37
Freebird: Lynyrd Skynyrd

Aug 21, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #14 of 37

Quote:
Freebird: Lynyrd Skynyrd

Defintiely!

Pleased to see TheWuss mentioned Layla too - it's the first song I thought about!  Clapton's whole "Unplugged" album is pretty amazing.

Here's one that struck me the first time I heard it - 

Don't Bring me Down (Sia) - Studio version

Live Version (from the album Lady Croissant)

Just no comparison.  The live version has so much more impact.

Aug 21, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #15 of 37
Just about anything by the Kinks.
Procol Harem's Conquistador
ELO's Do Ya (but the Move's version is better still)
Bobby Darrin's Beyond the Sea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back