Songs that sound bad on your headphones
Aug 6, 2012 at 5:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Supertoaster

500+ Head-Fier
Consider this thread the complete opposite of the thread "Songs that make your headphones WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW" 
smily_headphones1.gif

For some reason any opera like song with really loud female voices sound very strange and unnatural on my Pannies.

Aug 6, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #2 of 15
I have the HD650s hooked up to a FiiO e7/e9 playing from my laptop.

I would be hesitant to say anything sounds "bad" on this set, but anything metal is definitely the least impressive genre I've encountered thus far.

Nov 13, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #3 of 15
I like the idea to make it opposite to the other thread. The worst song I heard to date is unfortunately "One More Time - Daft Punk". Its super piercing in treble and made my ears bleed. To make things worse, I was listening to it through my K701s.

Setup in signature..

Nov 13, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #5 of 15
rap

Nov 13, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #6 of 15
Any country music "Twang or Otherwise"
I'd just rather drive forks into my ears... 
biggrin.gif

Nov 13, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #8 of 15
Red Hot Chili Peppers - I'm With You - distortion galore! A collection of songs that makes you quickly lower the volume when one of them comes on after just about any song from another album.
Dr. Dre - 2001 - To me, The Chronic is one of the better sounding rap albums, but on his follow-up he definitely went overboard on the bass. Actually, the excess of midbass over subbass on this album is a lot like Dre's own Beats - I guess he really likes that sound signature!
David Guetta - Nothing But The Beat - Hyper-compressed and flat-sounding.
Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory - too much midrange, singer Chester Bennington's screaming is annoying, though that's as much a product of his whiny voice as much as the production.
Silversun Pickups - Lazy Eye - the beginning of the song sounds good but then the lead guitar comes in and completely drowns out the rest of the music. Whoever did the levels on this song is deaf.
Rage Against The Machine - Live At The Grand Olympic Auditorium - Zero bass. On my old car stereo it sounded like the sub was shut off. Another rock album with excessive midrange and lots of distortion.

Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 Ohm)
Source: iPod touch 4th gen
Amp: FiiO E11

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #9 of 15
Red Hot Chili Peppers - I'm With You - distortion galore! A collection of songs that makes you quickly lower the volume when one of them comes on after just about any song from another album.
Dr. Dre - 2001 - To me, The Chronic is one of the better sounding rap albums, but on his follow-up he definitely went overboard on the bass. Actually, the excess of midbass over subbass on this album is a lot like Dre's own Beats - I guess he really likes that sound signature!
Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory - too much midrange, singer Chester Bennington's screaming is annoying, though that's as much a product of his whiny voice as much as the production.
Silversun Pickups - Lazy Eye - the beginning of the song sounds good but then the lead guitar comes in and completely drowns out the rest of the music. Whoever did the levels on this song is deaf.
Rage Against The Machine - Live At The Grand Olympic Auditorium - Zero bass. On my old car stereo it sounded like the sub was shut off. Another rock album with excessive midrange and lots of distortion.

Thats weird, I love Silversun Pickups on my DX100-ALO Rx Mk3-b-Audeze LCD3 combo. Its amazing.

If you have a pair of particularly sibilant headphones, Angel With A Shotgun by The Cab and the faster version of Stolen by Dashboard Confessional.

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Red Hot Chili Peppers is known to pick ****ely compressed and overall ***** mixes in general.

Nov 14, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #12 of 15
The only RHCP album that had decent mastering was Stadium Arcadium. The rest are garbage.

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
The only RHCP album that had decent mastering was Stadium Arcadium. The rest are garbage.

I agree. I rarely listen to them just because the sound is so bad...

Another thing I never listen to with my headphones is Children Of Bodom. The mixing sounds half-done, guitars and drums sound like crap. But the main flaw is the treble, it's like someone's sticking a long sharp needle right into my brain. Even with my dark TMA-1...

Aug 3, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #14 of 15
Just sitting here at my computer and decided to play an old Disco classic, "Fly, Robin, Fly" by The Silver Convention. It sounds WAAAY too spacey on headphones. There's absolutely nothing in the center and everything sounds like its on the sides. Several instruments have strange cross-talk between the two channels as well. I am talking about a song from 1975, so maybe in some cases, stereo mastering wasn't quite "mastered" yet.

Aug 3, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #15 of 15

The production on Mike Shinoda's verses on "In the End" is laughable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back