Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software
Dec 6, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #226 of 1,377
@RudeWolf

Use the "Set optimum" button to automatically select a custom curve that matches the original overall spectral balance of your speakers.

What speakers is this info text talking about? Is it the neutral studio monitor reference from you, or some speaker settings from Sonarworks?

Just curious since the "Flat" preset sounds pretty crap and bloated with HD600 and HD800, while using Custom / Set optimum sounds quite neutral on both to me (that's pretty much what I'm using..). Seems like the optimum curve should be a "Flat" preset.. (or it's just a case of confusing "flat" as "neutral"..)

Dec 7, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #227 of 1,377
"Set optimum" attempts to replicate your original tonality in general terms. In other words, it keeps the calibration for small dips and peaks, but leaves larger irregularities intact. It's useful for people who have problems coping with the change of tonal balance (Where did my bass/highs go?).

Dec 18, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #229 of 1,377
Using it with DT880 600Ohm using the 250Ohm calibration profile and it really adds a rich flavor to vocals as well as the mids, the DT880s sound a lot better with the software.

I tried the profile for DT990 600Ohm using the 250Ohm profile but the change is less desired due to the relative neutrality that DT990s seem to have after losing their signature oomph bass and sharp treble. 

I bought the 880s just to experience the mids that the 990s lack. With SonarWorks Reference 3 I seem to get more than I bargained for.

Happy times!

Dec 19, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #230 of 1,377
I just disabled the VST after using it for a couple months with my HD800's and I'm a little sad...

While the mids and highs are much nicer with Sonarworks enabled, the bass is just far too reduced. I even tried giving it a +6dB bass boost and it still sounds anemic.

Might anyone have a suggestion for a way to keep the lovely highs and mids Sonarworks brings forth while not washing out the richness and strength of the bass?

Dec 20, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #231 of 1,377
I just disabled the VST after using it for a couple months with my HD800's and I'm a little sad...

While the mids and highs are much nicer with Sonarworks enabled, the bass is just far too reduced. I even tried giving it a +6dB bass boost and it still sounds anemic.

Might anyone have a suggestion for a way to keep the lovely highs and mids Sonarworks brings forth while not washing out the richness and strength of the bass?

Try 6dB tilt and 4dB bass boost.

Dec 20, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #232 of 1,377

Once you're open to using good equalization you can sculpt pretty much any freq. response you want out of the HD800. They respond beautifully as long as the rest of your chain is up to the task. For the low end, I boost at both 60Hz and 20Hz, but the indispensable starting point for me is sonarworks. 

What might help is if you use the full bandwidth HD800 profile instead of the stock HD800 profile. The stock file deliberately attenuates the bass because full bandwidth correction demands quite a lot a clean power. If your amplification section has a lot of headroom to work with, try out the AB000B file. I don't think it has been widely released but I posted it on this thread with sonarworks' permission a couple pages back. 

Good luck. 

Jan 3, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #233 of 1,377
Interesting.

Which modern driver design CLOSED, fully circumaural headphone would one start with for hopefully closest to ideal results? I think the Sony v6 successors are lacking in driver capability.

Has anybody done private measurements of Fostex, JVC or recent Beyerdynamic phones (Tesla range).

Also, was the issue of using the plugin for all sound output (regardless of audio playback software) solved? I.e. can one use this on system level for instance with PC game sounds?

Jan 3, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #234 of 1,377
Also, was the issue of using the plugin for all sound output (regardless of audio playback software) solved? I.e. can one use this on system level for instance with PC game sounds?

I doubt you can get good enough latency for gaming, but for generic system level use VB cable + VSThost works well for me and is free.

https://nirklars.wordpress.com/2014/04/26/realtime-digital-audio-processing-using-vst-plugins-in-programs-without-vst-support/

Jan 3, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #235 of 1,377
Interesting.

Which modern driver design CLOSED, fully circumaural headphone would one start with for hopefully closest to ideal results? I think the Sony v6 successors are lacking in driver capability.

Has anybody done private measurements of Fostex, JVC or recent Beyerdynamic phones (Tesla range).

The 7520 certainly isn't lacking in driver capability. Whether you'd want to buy those for gaming is another matter though.

Jan 4, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #236 of 1,377
The 7520 certainly isn't lacking in driver capability. Whether you'd want to buy those for gaming is another matter though.

Beg to differ. Compared to Beyer Tesla (say T70P), Focal spirit (Classic or Pro), Oppo (say PM-3) or Fostex (TH900) drivers and you can clearly see from measurements:

1. There is insufficient power below 100Hz on 7520. Frequency response drops really fast
2. The amount of harmonic distortion jumps up exponentially below 100Hz for 7520. This doesn't promise good things for equalizing <100Hz up.

This translates over to the square wave measurements at 30hz, which are of course largely due the cup-driver coupling, but no amount of cup design can design over the inadequacies of the drivers (distortion).

If the point of SonarWorks EQ is to change the voicing of the headphone (closer to a normative target curve), then the starting point should be a driver that doesn't already fall apart before it is EQed 10dBs worth. 7520 drivers do NOT pass this test and I have to say my personal listening on 7520s confirm this fact.

BTW, the same pretty much applies to Sony MDR-Z7 drivers based on eyeballing the measurements (I have not heard the can, just looking at driver performance).

So, I'll re-iterate my question:

Has anybody EQd a modern closed, circumaural headphone closer to the Harman target curve (individualized SonarWorks measurement) and had it NOT fall apart, but perform amazingly?

Jan 4, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #237 of 1,377

Beg to differ. Compared to Beyer Tesla (say T70P), Focal spirit (Classic or Pro), Oppo (say PM-3) or Fostex (TH900) drivers and you can clearly see from measurements:

1. There is insufficient power below 100Hz on 7520. Frequency response drops really fast
2. The amount of harmonic distortion jumps up exponentially below 100Hz for 7520. This doesn't promise good things for equalizing <100Hz up.

This translates over to the square wave measurements at 30hz, which are of course largely due the cup-driver coupling, but no amount of cup design can design over the inadequacies of the drivers (distortion).

If the point of SonarWorks EQ is to change the voicing of the headphone (closer to a normative target curve), then the starting point should be a driver that doesn't already fall apart before it is EQed 10dBs worth. 7520 drivers do NOT pass this test and I have to say my personal listening on 7520s confirm this fact.

BTW, the same pretty much applies to Sony MDR-Z7 drivers based on eyeballing the measurements (I have not heard the can, just looking at driver performance).

So, I'll re-iterate my question:

Has anybody EQd a modern closed, circumaural headphone closer to the Harman target curve (individualized SonarWorks measurement) and had it NOT fall apart, but perform amazingly?

halcyon, you may be interested in the recent discussion in the 7520 thread; some interesting posts there from malfunkt, myself, and others.

But, very briefly, have you listened to the 7520's with some test tones? You'll find that there's plenty of power below 100Hz despite what (Tyll's) FR graph suggests. 

And measurements are useful but don't tell the whole story. You mentioned the Sony V6. I presume you realise that there really is no debate or doubt, anywhere or from anyone, that the 7520 is a vastly superior sounding headphone. BUT, look here:-

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDRV6.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDR7520.pdf

On paper there's no question that the V6 should sound better, But having owned both at the same time I can confidently assert (as many others have) that the 7520 is the much better sounding headphone. (For reference I also own HD600 HD 650 HD800 and some ATC100SL studio monitors.)

I'd be very interested to known how the 7520 fairs when Sonarworks do a calibration. Perhaps it won't be good, but I suspect that it will.

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #239 of 1,377
I think it helps to have a good phone that can take the equalization and not fall apart.  I sent my LCD X's to Latvia for a custom calibration and they went from excellent to superlative.  I use the vst plug in with JRiver 21, feed the output to Darin Fong's superlative OOYH (most pf the time emulating Magico Q7's),and output thru the usb to a ifi iDSD micro, set to medium amplifier gain, split the signal,sent one leg to the subpac S2m and the other to the LCD X's.   Sounds wonderful with Tidal, Classics Online HD, and multichannel Netflix movies.  The perfect recipe for high end audio and home theatre in a small apartment.

Jan 24, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #240 of 1,377
Using the headphone profiles for DT880 I feel it doesn't work automatically once the Audio Filter in Audirvana is set. I have to go in the setting turn on/off the toggle switch on top right before the green bars start to dance along the beats and the sound output is working.

I tried it with Fidelia and had the same issue.

May be just my version. Anyone else faced a similar issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back