Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software
Feb 25, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #241 of 1,377
Finally bought me a license for the reference 3, I just realised how much this plugin makes my HD650 sound like my yamaha hs7 monitors. It made the bass just perfect, that in your face bass that doesn't overpower, it's like listening to a very good set of studio monitors tbh. Very happy with this purchase!

Feb 27, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #242 of 1,377
I think it helps to have a good phone that can take the equalization and not fall apart.  I sent my LCD X's to Latvia for a custom calibration and they went from excellent to superlative.  I use the vst plug in with JRiver 21, feed the output to Darin Fong's superlative OOYH (most pf the time emulating Magico Q7's),and output thru the usb to a ifi iDSD micro, set to medium amplifier gain, split the signal,sent one leg to the subpac S2m and the other to the LCD X's.   Sounds wonderful with Tidal, Classics Online HD, and multichannel Netflix movies.  The perfect recipe for high end audio and home theatre in a small apartment.

Yeah...works well with my Senns and Beyers -- to the point that I'm seriously re-considering the 800 vs the 800S and saving the $$$ for a Vahalla 2 and some extra tubes.

That said, I'd encourage trying it with some of your 'lesser' cans. I was pleasantly surprised by the KNS8400's and it turned my Superlux 681s from 'Razor Blades' to Real Nice.

Mar 21, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #243 of 1,377
Hey guys!

We just made vids on how to set up system wide calibration on both of the major platforms!

Download and install:

Soundflower – free audio system extension that allows applications to pass audio to other applications

Pedalboard 2 – plugin chainer

Download and install:

VB Audio Cable – connects audio applications together with Virtual Audio Device

Mar 27, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #244 of 1,377
I've been using Sonarworks for my HD800's and EVE SC205 monitors (along with acoustic treatment) for a while now. Absolutely phenomenal for the improvement it provides. I'm actually strongly considering sending my HD800's in for individual calibration to try and ensure they're as neutral as possible!

Mar 27, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #245 of 1,377
Yeah...works well with my Senns and Beyers -- to the point that I'm seriously re-considering the 800 vs the 800S and saving the $$$ for a Vahalla 2 and some extra tubes...

Bought the HD800; saved $700; time for an OTL amp!

Mar 30, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #247 of 1,377
Ive been playing with hd-650. the difference is very small but noticeable.

Apr 1, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #248 of 1,377
Originally Posted by RudeWolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Hey guys!

We just made vids on how to set up system wide calibration on both of the major platforms!

Download and install:

Soundflower – free audio system extension that allows applications to pass audio to other applications

Download and install:

VB Audio Cable – connects audio applications together with Virtual Audio Device

Just got the email on the new LCD2 support. How do we get the file to add to our system? Do we just add it to our folder with the other profiles or does it require another method to get it to work? Is there a "no limits" version?

Update: Just read the email again and found instructions. Is a No Limits LCD2 version available?

Apr 1, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #249 of 1,377
Got the email as well. It was painless with JRiver.

Pulled up the DSP Studio using Menu/Player/DSP Studio then followed their directions (below) from their email.

"You can get the new profiles by reactivating the product. It's done by clicking on the SW logo in the plug-in UI and then clicking “Add new licence”. Then put in your existing activation code and our servers will fetch you the new profiles."​

My activation code was sent to me via email when I originally purchased the product.

The images below correspond to their email instructions and have circles to highlight their clicking and data-entry steps.

Apr 1, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #250 of 1,377
Just re-activated 1 of my Sonarworks plug-in on the Intel NUC computer thru JRiver MC20 and am currently listening to the LCD2.
It has a lot more hi-freq. info and detail and a lot more air. Totally loving the LCD2's now.

Apr 3, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #251 of 1,377
OK I need some help. I've successfully done the installation and all appears to be OK. I have the Sonarworks plugin 3 window up and I have soundflower selected as the audio output on my mac. I'm using some Sony 7520's an have that calibration selected.

I'm just playing some files which are on the desktop at the moment. I have sound, but it's very low volume even if I turn the computer sound output to max. Also, none of the controls on the Sonarworks window make any difference to the sound. I'm obviously missing something very basic, but what?

Apr 3, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #252 of 1,377
OK I need some help. I've successfully done the installation and all appears to be OK. I have the Sonarworks plugin 3 window up and I have soundflower selected as the audio output on my mac. I'm using some Sony 7520's an have that calibration selected.

I'm just playing some files which are on the desktop at the moment. I have sound, but it's very low volume even if I turn the computer sound output to max. Also, none of the controls on the Sonarworks window make any difference to the sound. I'm obviously missing something very basic, but what?

There would now be at least three volume controls on your computer--the volume control for going from the music player to system output, the system output (to soundflower)'s own volume, and the volume going from soundflower to the actual sound device (headphone jack on your computer, external DAC or whatever). Are you sure all these are maxed out?

How was the volume like before you installed soundflower?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 3, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #253 of 1,377
Where can I get the No Limits curve for the HD-800?

Apr 3, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #254 of 1,377
There would now be at least three volume controls on your computer--the volume control for going from the music player to system output, the system output (to soundflower)'s own volume, and the volume going from soundflower to the actual sound device (headphone jack on your computer, external DAC or whatever). Are you sure all these are maxed out?

How was the volume like before you installed soundflower?

I'm on an iMac 27". I'm just playing a file (rough mix of something I'm playing on) which is on the desktop. The sound output is set to Soundflower 2ch. The level can be controlled from that window, or via the volume controls on the keyboard. Where else would I control the volume? The volume control in the SW plugin window has no effect, but I can see the level bars moving, so it'd definitely going through. Nothing else in the SW window makes any difference to the sound either. Like I said, it must be something very basic that I'm missing, but what? There must be some other mac users out there?! :)

Apr 3, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #255 of 1,377
Problem solved. Soundflower hadn't installed properly!

The available level, although it will now go louder than I need or want, is still lower than when not going through the plugin, but I guess this normal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back