Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software
Jan 12, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #976 of 1,377
I hope they release a companion app that somehow slips their custom corrections into the apple music app output automatically... like a systemwide but for iOS where you can choose your custom profile via companion app somehow and it just works across the entire system.

Jan 20, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #977 of 1,377
While systemwide and Sonarworks is ultimately an amazing set of tools I found Systemwide to be a little buggy and eventually switched to loading my Sonarworks calibrations into menuBus for Mac instead which is an unbelievably impressive app that has all the features of Systemwide for free and then some and is under active development and adding incredible new features every month now. Plugin presets, keyboard shortcuts, ability to use any plugins you want... highly recommended!

https://www.menubus.audio

And again, this is not a replacement for Sonarworks but a replacement for Systemwide on Macs only. You still need Sonarworks for great calibrations. menuBus also has a facebook group where the developer polls the user base for the next great feature of the month every month.

Do you know of any comparable alternative for Windows? I am having stability issues with their driver on Windows and their support team is taking their sweet time in responding. I think their product as a whole is excellent but their systemwide really needs more work.

Jan 21, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #978 of 1,377
Do you know of any comparable alternative for Windows? I am having stability issues with their driver on Windows and their support team is taking their sweet time in responding. I think their product as a whole is excellent but their systemwide really needs more work.

I do not... it would be nice but I am not sure Windows Audio layer supports systemwide audio chains natively? Could be why it is buggy? Might be wrong, perhaps things have changed in Win10. Get a Mac :wink:

Jan 24, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #980 of 1,377
Anyone got the sonaworks true-fi app today? Beta test version.I have signed up many times today,but havent recived mail back with details.Only got an mail with free trial reference 4 version earlier today.,but not the true-fi app.

Jan 24, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #982 of 1,377
Anyone got the sonaworks true-fi app today? Beta test version.I have signed up many times today,but havent recived mail back with details.Only got an mail with free trial reference 4 version earlier today.,but not the true-fi app.

On Android, looks like it is the same as an old app named - ' Soundigo'..so search that.

Jan 24, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #983 of 1,377
Whats the difference between Reference and True-Fi?

Quote from Rūdolfs Bundulis, CTO at Sonarworks

The technology is the same, and as you correctly concluded - they are made for different marker layers. Also - you can really compare True-Fi to plugin, True-Fi is the consumer equivalent of Systemwide (without the simulations and speaker mode). And as they evolve they will both diverge by receiving features relevant for their target audience.

Jan 24, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #984 of 1,377
@yates7592 - Here are differences I know between Reference 4 systemwide and True-Fi apps.

True-fi only uses a minimum phase filter (no pre-ringing but has phase shift)
Reference 4 allows selection between minimum phase, linear phase, and zero latency. I'm not sure of the filter method in zero latency. The linear phase filter has pre-ringing but no phase shift. pre-ringing is not audible to me personally. I use linear phase which matches the filter method I have on my DAC. When I used the default minimum phase fast roll-off filter on my DAC I would get a headache from the phase shifts, so I use linear filtering as much as possible YMMV.

True-fi is designed to be simple and easy to use.
Reference 4 systemwide has more options and thus is a little more complex but still user friendly IMO.

True-fi allow the bass to be tilted up or down and the treble to be tiled up or down after the calibration profile is applied.
Reference 4 allows for more modifications after the calibration profile is applied; such as:
0-100% "wet" (I think this means % of calibration applied)
Tilt - The frequency response can be linearly tilted toward bass or treble, I like this function a lot
Bass boost - Just the bass can be increased or decreased
headphone or speaker simulation - other headphones and speakers can be simulated

Reference 4 includes a plug-in version but I have not used it. Also note my experience with the True-fi app is from a few months ago. Sonarworks may have added a few new features since then. I am currently a happy Reference 4 Systemwide user.

Jan 25, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #985 of 1,377
Do you have to have the headphones connected straight to the mobile phone,or can you use an dac/amp like audioquest dragonfly with the mobile phone when using true-fi? Or will the dragonfly ruined the signal with its dac/equlizer? :)

Jan 25, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #986 of 1,377
Have tried the app connected direct to the phone.On both phone and computer,i feel that the sound opens up and sounds more alive.With the true -fi off,its like a carpet hiding the music.It sounds more closed in and muffled (not good at describing sound :p ) :)

Jan 27, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #987 of 1,377
Tried the audioquest dragonfly black with samsung s7.Didnt get any sound when using tru-fi app.But then i deleted the usb audio player.And after i did that,i got sound.It looks like the usb player and dragonfly connect to eachother when the dragonfly is connected to the s7.I have tried the tru-fi app with spotify.Wasnt sure if the external dac/amp,would ruin the true-fi signal,but messaged sonaworks about this,and they said it should work fine.

The sound is really good with true-fi on.It comes more alive and gets more real and detailed.When i turn it off,the music sounds closed in/dark/muffled (not good at describing :p )

My only complainment so far,is that when listening to spotify,the music stoppes often,and the app freezes.So it have to be restarted.Its frustraitning.So i will try delete the app and install it again and see if it helps.But this is of course the beta test version,so i guess it will come some updates once in a while and fix the bugs. :)

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #989 of 1,377
Does anyone know if I can use the Reference 4 to get my monitors flat, WITHOUT a microphone? (no need to measure the room currently)
The microphone is used to measure the resultant frequency response of your speakers and the room interactions at your listening location. Unless you know what flat should be and can perfectly identify those frequency ranges that need adjustment, you'll need the microphone to measure the deviations so the software can adjust for them.

Feb 11, 2018 at 3:48 AM Post #990 of 1,377
I just purchased Sonarworks Headphone edition and no sound is coming through my PC when I utilize it now. I never had an issue with the free trial. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong or how to fix this. I have attached photos. There is no sound whenever the program is up and running. The program functions and the buttons all work when it's running, but there is no sound at any point. I also emailed Sonarworks about this.

Attachments

• Sonarworks 1.JPG
    Sonarworks 1.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Sonarworks 2.JPG
    Sonarworks 2.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Sonarworks 3.JPG
    Sonarworks 3.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back