Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software
May 8, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #16 of 1,377
Average profiles made from measuring numerous headphones of the same model are bundled in the install pack of our plug-in. Custom profiles can be had only by sending your headphones in for measuring or buying new pre-measured headphones from us.

Currently we have profiles for these cans - 

1. AKG K141 MKII
  2. AKG K240 Studio
  3. AKG K701
  4. AKG K702
  5. AKG K712
  6. Audio-Technica M20x
  7. Audio-Technica M40x
  8. Audio-Technica M50x
  9. Beyerdynamic DT770 80 Ohm
  10. Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro
  11. Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro
  12. Sennheiser HD280
  13. Sennheiser HD598
  14. Sennheiser HD600
  15. Sennheiser HD650
  16. Shure SRH840
  17. Sony MDR7506
  18. Superlux HD681

May 8, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #17 of 1,377
  Average profiles made from measuring numerous headphones of the same model are bundled in the install pack of our plug-in. Custom profiles can be had only by sending your headphones in for measuring or buying new pre-measured headphones from us.

Currently we have profiles for these cans - 

1. AKG K141 MKII
  2. AKG K240 Studio
  3. AKG K701
  4. AKG K702
  5. AKG K712
  6. Audio-Technica M20x
  7. Audio-Technica M40x
  8. Audio-Technica M50x
  9. Beyerdynamic DT770 80 Ohm
  10. Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro
  11. Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro
  12. Sennheiser HD280
  13. Sennheiser HD598
  14. Sennheiser HD600
  15. Sennheiser HD650
  16. Shure SRH840
  17. Sony MDR7506
  18. Superlux HD681

Sorry, I thought you were introducing new average profiles. You definitely should introduce profiles for the LCD-2 and the HD800 though, perhaps the HE-560 as well.

May 8, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #18 of 1,377
Ain't that easy to get a bunch of these higher end headphones in shop for measuring. Also in the case of LCD-2 an average curve would be hard to do because of all the various revisions floating around. They do calibrate very good actually, I run a pair at home!

May 29, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #19 of 1,377
Can someone post a quick tutorial on which plug-in(s) from the headphone calibration trial software to install (and how to install them) into say Foobar or JRiver to get the headphone calibration software to come up?

I downloaded the free trial from Sonarworks but am clueless on where to start as to getting the appropriate plug-in into one of these players so I can calibrate my headphones. Thanks!

May 29, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #20 of 1,377
  Can someone post a quick tutorial on which plug-in(s) from the headphone calibration trial software to install (and how to install them) into say Foobar or JRiver to get the headphone calibration software to come up?

I downloaded the free trial from Sonarworks but am clueless on where to start as to getting the appropriate plug-in into one of these players so I can calibrate my headphones. Thanks!

Jriver
Tools > Options > Audio > DSP & output format > Manage Plug-ins > Add JRiver, VST, or Win-amp Plug-in > Point to file Reference3.dll

Use 32 bit version for Jriver, as it does not support 64 bit plug-ins.

May 30, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #22 of 1,377
Thank you for your quick reply! Had a bit of a problem finding the Reference3.dll but in my Win 8.1 it was in Program Files/VSTPlugins. Very cool software and it does seem to make a difference with the 598. Thanks again.

Jun 1, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #25 of 1,377
I am still wondering what reference curve Sonarworks uses, but since it sounds pretty damn good I'm not too curious. Maybe they even use their own target curve, but it takes a lot of rigor to come up with something acceptable. According to Tyll, the Harman people were still working on it as of 2014, and I'm willing to bet they are working on it even now...

Jun 1, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #26 of 1,377
  I am still wondering what reference curve Sonarworks uses, but since it sounds pretty damn good I'm not too curious. Maybe they even use their own target curve, but it takes a lot of rigor to come up with something acceptable. According to Tyll, the Harman people were still working on it as of 2014, and I'm willing to bet they are working on it even now...

Probably a trade secret. The harman curve above goes well with it though, try it out:

By now I've listened to everything from string quartets to orchestras, classic rock to metal and big band jazz to trios, it's better to me than anything provided in the reference curve section.

Jun 2, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #27 of 1,377
I can't define a whole new reference curve within Sonarworks, I can only adjust the existing curve. To use the Harman curve I would have to create my own calibration curve in eq, which I don't believe I could do accurately even with raw measurements. Whatever they do at Sonarworks, I'm pretty sure they use an algo to generate the calibration curve based on raw data. Their measurement rig must be pretty sophisticated too.

I'm going to send in a headphone to be calibrated soon, probably an HD800. It's got a well designed acoustic baffle that doesn't change the FR much with head placement. With a custom profile they'll tune each channel individually granting nearly perfect channel balance and flatness. Maybe one day this will become popular, and people will spend less time fiddling with expensive doodads. In the meantime there will only be us punters
darthsmile.gif

Jun 2, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #28 of 1,377
You can use the in-room difference curve by the example I provided in post #26 and it will be perfectly accurate. We assume sonarworks did a good job at providing what's equivalent to the green line. You could also do it in sonarworks(calibrate>custom>bass boost/tilt), but the slope is too wide and you'll either get bloated midbass or reduced sub bass.

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #29 of 1,377
  You can use the in-room difference curve by the example I provided in post #26 and it will be perfectly accurate. We assume sonarworks did a good job at providing what's equivalent to the green line. You could also do it in sonarworks, but the slope is too wide and you'll either get bloated midbass or reduced sub bass.

I'll try this tomorrow, should be easy with what you provided.

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #30 of 1,377
Nevermind, couldn't resist, finished it already and listening. Sounds pretty bassy.

Will listen some more tomorrow.

EDIT: Yeah, sounds pretty bassy. Trance and hiphop sounded good. Sounded veiled on some other songs. I prefer the Sonarworks reference curve, but I can't say this sounds wrong. It's like the difference between the HD800 and the LCD-2/3 or something. Diffuse field vs Harman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back