Somic EFi-82 MT: Believe the Hype
Apr 18, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #211 of 331
Quote:
I'm not sure about the red/black filter material. I took them off mine but I am using Shure 840 pads which has it's own cloth filter material and the sibilance is quite tame using that alone.

I've reconnected the wires that snapped off and it turns out an incorrect wiring job just gives off buzzing sounds when plugged in and doesn't destroy the drivers as I first thought.
This is my completed EFI-82's.
wink.gif
I just grabbed some aluminum mesh, molded it over the caps that the mesh will replace, cut the mesh to fit, and used blue tack that I had left over from modding my Sennheiser HD439s to keep it in place. Opefi's without exposing the wires. If I'm up for it, I might dismantle these again and paint the mesh black. But I'm liking it as is and I've already dismantled these at least 8 times now.

You just made yourself a Somic MH463, but without the MH463 build quality!

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #212 of 331
Quote:
I've reconnected the wires that snapped off and it turns out an incorrect wiring job just gives off buzzing sounds when plugged in and doesn't destroy the drivers as I first thought.

Ah, glad you got the wiring sorted out.  Sorry I flaked - got completely swamped last couple days unfortunately.

Apr 18, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #216 of 331
Quote:
Quote:
Reverse engineering, you can get what you are striving for in a better package, just sayin!

I have the better package.

It's not a better package, to me at least.

Well, what the MH463 needed were comfy velour Auray pads with the cloth from the MH463 stock pads (thanks sfwalcer) mounted over the drivers.  Gives you all the bass you need and clarity through the highs. You would also need to EQ down the midbass hump.   I couldn't get that with the 82's, plus the cheapo headband cracked, MH463 more sturdy.  And, as you know I rewired the MH463 double entry, DHC Peptide Hybrid, so I have a better, better package.  Sorry, I just have more resources to reverse engineer, LOL!  Was it worth the price, these are now a more open sounding Sennheiser, without the veil you talk about!

Apr 18, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #217 of 331
I meant to add that the cloth that Somic uses is very important, it increases bass/sub bass, and tames the highs.  That is why they cover the drivers, dampening!  Same material is used for the stock pads on the MH463, don't disregard the importance of the cloth.  I have use that in the Takstar 2050 over the drivers, with great sucess as well.  Wish I could find more, been trying to buy those MH463 pads, but I think everyone has just tossed them.  Actually the stock pads from the MH463's sound very good on the EFi82 that I gave to my grandson, made use of the pair with the cracked plastic on the wing with his smaller head!

The MH463 stock pads on the EFi82 MT sound like the Shure 840 pads, but they have a tight fit so they don't fall off.

Do you still have the stock MH463 pads/cloth?  I would buy it from you, or the cloth from the EFi82!

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #218 of 331
Quote:

You concluded your statement saying you have reverse engineered yours. I'm interested in what proof you have to back that up. I don't want to go around repeating what you said without understanding why.

Quote:

Ah, glad you got the wiring sorted out.  Sorry I flaked - got completely swamped last couple days unfortunately.

Eh, don't worry about it. We're all busy one way or another. This is after all a past time hobby.

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #219 of 331
try using nylon like from pantyhose, silk, rayon, polyester, cotton, with different densities of weavings or different layers and let us know your impressions.  No need to buy when you can just experiment :)  SPeaker Grill gloth doesn't attenuate enough of the highs probably but you could try that too.  I assume cotton would tame the highs way more than polyester.  Thinner material and less dense weavings usually mean less attenuation of higher frequencies.  Find something uniform and cut a circle see how it works.  Somic highs definitely sound too bright without the red/black cloth layer to me.  Some tracks too piercing and not sustainable listening.

Someone told me that the three black semicircles is for bass tuning?  It looks like some cellulose fibers in there.  Not sure how it all works but these materials are all important things to consider via sound filtering.

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #220 of 331
Quote:
Quote:

You concluded your statement saying you have reverse engineered yours. I'm interested in what proof you have to back that up. I don't want to go around repeating what you said without understanding why.

Not talking about the EFi82 MT, got rid of those when the plastic wing cracked.  Just rewired the MH463, bought velour pads, and used the cloth from the Somic over the drivers to increase the low end and tame the highs a bit because of the velour pads.  Reverse engineering = mods!  Don't think anyone would go the expense that I did to fit my sig.  I am tuning for my rig, EQ the low end to my taste, so I wouldn't advise anyone to take that all on.....I am a picky SOB with nothing else to do......until spring arrives!  My opinion and my ears to please, not many headfiers here that can even do parametric EQ, so take it with a grain of salt!  My point was, you don't have to mod the EFi to that extent, there are other options.

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #222 of 331
Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/Auray-9081860-Deluxe-Velour-Earpads/dp/B005GC7YJ2/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_y

I unknowingly bought this pad instead of the beyer pads which have no protection for the drivers, When I get my hands on a somic I will have to see where the driver cover on this Auray does the same thing as the stock ones

I have those pads on my MH463, and they fit the EFi82 MT as well.  You still need the Somic red and black cloth covering the drivers on either the MH463 or the EFi82 MT, as these are velour, the Somic cloth gives you more bass and tames the highs similar to the Shure 840 pads without the Somic cloth.  The stock MH463 pads fit the EFi82 MT, and sound similar to the Shure 840 pads, but the MH463 stock pads have a very nice fit that doesn't fall off.  Fit is like the HM5 pads.

Apr 25, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #223 of 331
I have the superlux 831 evo ordered, and i've never tried any superlux. 

I have heard that the 831EVO tames the treble of the original 831.  

Is the base more powerful on the Somic compared to the 831 / 831EVO?  I'm looking for less base.

Apr 26, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #224 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashNotCredit /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
I was wondering if you guys have seen the Efi 82 Pro. It seems to have beefier and slightly different pads along with being all black. Which I think looks rather cool.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Hot-Sell-SOMiC-EFI-82-Pro-EFI-82Pro-Stereo-HIFI-Professional-DJ-Monitoring-Headphone-Headset-earphone/701910_364956111.html

THe EFi-82 MT and the EFi-82 PRO are alleged to have the same drivers. My advice is to replace the stock pads entirely...so I personally don't believe it's worth the price markup, but to each their own.

I bought the EFi-82 "Pro" on impulse the night I ripped out my MT's wires. Sad I know but I thought I really was doomed with a dead MT. Anyway I listened to them for a few nights now and let me tell you... if you think you like the Somic EFI-82 MT, you're going to LOVE the Pro version!!! I have never heard of headphones as unique and natural-sounding as these Pros before! I'm not sure if it's the same driver as the MT but these are tuned differently. They don't have the same bass levels as the MT's, but these Pros are more neutral and a lot more analytical. Right out of the box, they're good. But to get them to sound as good as I am saying, the Opefi mod NEED to be done and the pads NEED to be replaced with bigger pads like the Shure 840's because you will want a good seal around your ears. These physically have the same housing and mechanicals of the EFi-82 MT but when I opened these up to perform the Opefi mod, I noticed that the drivers are different. You will be pulling off three fiber filters from each driver and being that it's paper-like, they tore on me. Fortunately, I kept the red/black filter from my MT's and stuck it over the whole face of the drivers. Not using a filter made the sound too ear piercing. With it and the mods done and a good equalizer setting, it feels like I am taken away in a dream every time I put these on. Yes, I equalize my music and it makes a difference. Anyway, songs that I thought sounded good before now just got more exciting yet more pleasant. In my opinion, these are notches better in sound quality than both my modded Opefi MT and Takstar Pro80. If you were curious about the Pros before but never took the plunge, do yourself a favor and get yourself the Pro version... and then mod it!

Even though I love them, it still has it's short falls: 1) the coiled cable makes the headphones feel heavy. 2) the ear cups rotate very loosely if you Opefi them--much more than my MT 'phones but yours may differ. 3) you will want to amp these if listening with an underpowered music source.

If anyone cares, I got mine from Victor Chen on aliexpress.com. He wanted some market presence so he shipped them out to me using ePacket. I was so surprised when it arrived Monday. I was expecting it to take 2-3 weeks but it arrived in just 7 days! The guy's name is Victor Chen and here's the link to his Pros: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HOT-HOT-SALES-Free-shipping-SOMIC-EFi-82-Stereo-Headband-Headphone-multimedia-Headset-HIFI-Professional-DJ/829352731.html. If anyone gets it from him, let him know he ePacket delivered it for me and maybe he should for you too. It shouldn't hurt to ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back