Somic EFi-82 MT: Believe the Hype
Feb 22, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #108 of 331
About how long was the wait for you guys after you placed your orders? I ordered mine on the 1st and got a shipment verification email the next day, but the UPS tracking status has been "Origin Post is Preparing Shipmentsince the 4th.

The wait is killing me. 

Feb 23, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #109 of 331
It took 10 days from the time I ordered to get it, that Origin Preparing shipment means it's just sitting around waiting until they have enough to ship it off. Maybe it's Chinese New Year that delayed the shipment.

Feb 23, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #110 of 331
Hi,
I have just one question, will these fit? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Z9JWZ8/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=
They are a little bit cheaper then the 840 pads, and i still have some money on a prepaid credit card just enough to buy the 240 pads.

Feb 25, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #112 of 331
From Dsnuts latest review in the discovery thread:
Part Deux. Somic EFI-82MTs using Shure Pads minus stock sound dampening...

Sorry for the noob question, but what is actually the "stock sound dampening" ? Is that the red/black driver cloth cover, as pictured in this CashNotCredit post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/647289/somic-efi-82-mt-believe-the-hype/75#post_9181844 ? 

I've exactly the same setup as Dsnuts (EFI-82MT with Shure 840 pads) and I've also this "veiled" feeling from this can.
Thanks

Feb 25, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #113 of 331
Quote:
From Dsnuts latest review in the discovery thread:
Part Deux. Somic EFI-82MTs using Shure Pads minus stock sound dampening...

Sorry for the noob question, but what is actually the "stock sound dampening" ? Is that the red/black driver cloth cover, as pictured in this CashNotCredit post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/647289/somic-efi-82-mt-believe-the-hype/75#post_9181844 ? 

I've exactly the same setup as Dsnuts (EFI-82MT with Shure 840 pads) and I've also this "veiled" feeling from this can.
Thanks

Yep, it's that read/black driver cover. 

Take that off and things'll start sounding awesome.

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #114 of 331
 so i had the chance of hooking the

efi82mt to my new e17 and they do benefit ALOT from amping. Soundstage is wider, clarity is up a notch and the bass got better definition. the difference is even bigger than what i expected from my denon avr to the e17. I think i love them more than my pro900 with kees mdçod on them. They don't really have the same sound signature, but it still mean that these 40$ cans are on par with 600$ msrp ones. They are slighly veiled so i'll try the CnC hole in stock dampener theory

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #115 of 331
Quote:
 so i had the chance of hooking the

efi82mt to my new e17 and they do benefit ALOT from amping. Soundstage is wider, clarity is up a notch and the bass got better definition. the difference is even bigger than what i expected from my denon avr to the e17. I think i love them more than my pro900 with kees mdçod on them. They don't really have the same sound signature, but it still mean that these 40$ cans are on par with 600$ msrp ones. They are slighly veiled so i'll try the CnC hole in stock dampener theory

actually, you are describing how the E17 sounds, and adding the E17's "sound" to the headphone :p

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #116 of 331
ChinaPost says mine got delivered today.  Sweet!  Will have to bang out some code tonight with the allegedly amazing $46 headphones.

Btw I ordered on Feb 10th so that's like... a little over 2 weeks of wait.  Nice!

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #117 of 331
Quote:

actually, you are describing how the E17 sounds, and adding the E17's "sound" to the headphone :p

We could run around in circles on this one, but frequency response measurements show that unless the internal EQ is activated, the E17 is a very neutral DAC/amp. (link to related thread)

I can confirm this experience with both my E10 and my Arcatron HDA-100, so I think it's more of a power thing than an amp characteristics thing.

Anyway, if the treble isn't sounding quite like it should with your 840 pads, check into removing the red/black fabric from in front of the driver.

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #118 of 331
Quote:
We could run around in circles on this one, but frequency response measurements show that unless the internal EQ is activated, the E17 is a very neutral DAC/amp. (link to related thread)

I can confirm this experience with both my E10 and my Arcatron HDA-100, so I think it's more of a power thing than an amp characteristics thing.

Anyway, if the treble isn't sounding quite like it should with your 840 pads, check into removing the red/black fabric from in front of the driver.

even the ipod 6G has that graph, and yet it is not called "neutral" by many people :p

http://sonove.angry.jp/RMAA/iPod%20Classic%206th%20160G/fr.png

Feb 28, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #119 of 331
Good news! Hadn't touched my Pannys or Monoprice phones since these came in and thought what the hell. The Panasonic RP-HTF600 pads fit these perfectly. The stock pads were literally painful. Be forewarned if you wear glasses. I had to take my glasses off, put the phones on, and then put them back on letting them rest along the top of the cups. As if these weren't dorky looking enough. So long, red devils! While I had the pads off I cut a small hole in the center of the red/black fabric - welcome back, treble!  I'm thinking about opening these things up this weekend to see if I can manage to coax a little more low end out of them though. I'm very impressed so far!

Feb 28, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #120 of 331

Users who are viewing this thread

Back