Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Somic EFi-82 MT: Believe the Hype
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Somic EFi-82 MT: Believe the Hype - Page 6

post #76 of 319

So Cash, would you be willing to tell the eBay seller that there is yet more demand for the headphones? I'd rather not have to Aliexpress or Taobao them.

 

On the comparisons with the S500, just wondering, and I don't mean to offend: did you burn the S500's in? The thread on them contains several instances of "'I just got these and something sounds off.' 'Burn them in first!'"

 

As for burned in EFi-82 MT's sounding like HD-600's, that's why I'm so curious!

post #77 of 319
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kierkes View Post

So Cash, would you be willing to tell the eBay seller that there is yet more demand for the headphones? I'd rather not have to Aliexpress or Taobao them.

 

On the comparisons with the S500, just wondering, and I don't mean to offend: did you burn the S500's in? The thread on them contains several instances of "'I just got these and something sounds off.' 'Burn them in first!'"

 

As for burned in EFi-82 MT's sounding like HD-600's, that's why I'm so curious!

My S500s were my primary headphone for a good 2 months. They had a few hundred hours on them, so I would hope they're burnt in. I also swapped the pads with Coby pads, which helped out a bit, and removed dampening material to counterbalance the foamier pads.

 

The EFi-82 MT's just sound better.

 

Anyway, I don't think that the HD-600 is a very apt comparison. Perhaps the Denon AHD-2000 or Beyerdynamic DTXX0 would be more fair (I haven't heard either 'phone, so I'm just going off of comparisons/reviews.) 

Are these in the same league as the HD-600?

I'll go out on a limb and say so. They're certainly better than the things that are below the HD-600 (FA-003, M50 and the like).

They just sound different.

post #78 of 319
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xprime4 View Post

I got the 840 pads yesturday and i had little listening time with them.

 

Everything is more balanced now and the soundstage is even wider. I just don't sound like 65$ (20$ pad mod) headphone, i wish a had a reference level headphone to compare them.

 

why aren't they getting more attention? Did people received them and test them?

I have no idea why they're not getting more attention.

 

They had a bit of hype on the "Discovery" thread, but nothing lately.

 

I'm taking them to a local meet in a few months.

 

I think they'll turn a few heads. beyersmile.png

 

I think that people see these as another "too good to be true" fad-headphone. You know, how most FOTMs can't actually compete with the mid-range stuff, but come reasonably close for an affordable price.

 

No, these are neck-and-neck with more expensive cans. These are for real.

post #79 of 319

you mention HM5 pads.

Any comparison to the HM5 themselves?

post #80 of 319
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomikn00b View Post

you mention HM5 pads.

Any comparison to the HM5 themselves?

I own the Jaycar (same exact headphone but 1/3rd of the price, gotta love Taiwanese OEMs.)

 

The EFi is similar in soundstage and treble, but has more hefty mids and bigger bass.

 

It's sort of a hybrid of the HM5/FA-003 and the JVC-HAS500, signature wise, but with more resolution than both of them.

post #81 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashNotCredit View Post

I own the Jaycar (same exact headphone but 1/3rd of the price, gotta love Taiwanese OEMs.)

 

The EFi is similar in soundstage and treble, but has more hefty mids and bigger bass.

 

It's sort of a hybrid of the HM5/FA-003 and the JVC-HAS500, signature wise, but with more resolution than both of them.

Check your PM's!

post #82 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashNotCredit View Post

I own the Jaycar (same exact headphone but 1/3rd of the price, gotta love Taiwanese OEMs.)

 

The EFi is similar in soundstage and treble, but has more hefty mids and bigger bass.

 

It's sort of a hybrid of the HM5/FA-003 and the JVC-HAS500, signature wise, but with more resolution than both of them.

 

+1 Cash.....and there is a jump in resolution on the EFi with my Mogami W2983 Cryoed cable upgrade.....using HM5 pads with a little dampening, and the original cloth cover removed over the drivers!  Excellent sound!  Well worth the money, totally compare to $200 - $300 phones in sound!  Semi-open, great soundstage on natural tone!

post #83 of 319
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute View Post

 

+1 Cash.....and there is a jump in resolution on the EFi with my Mogami W2983 Cryoed cable upgrade.....using HM5 pads with a little dampening, and the original cloth cover removed over the drivers!  Excellent sound!  Well worth the money, totally compare to $200 - $300 phones in sound!  Semi-open, great soundstage on natural tone!

Yep.

 

I know that I poked about 8 holes into the mesh of the cloth cover.


 

I'm sure that more holes = more treble.

I also poked a few holes into the dampening around the driver.

 

 

Lastly, I'm using Philips CitiScape Uptown earpads.

 

 

 

They look hideous, but I think that this really "aired things out" a bit. More soundstage, more treble. 

 

I'm diggin it.

post #84 of 319
At least if you are seen with those, they will know that you are all about the sound lol! Nice work Cash!
post #85 of 319
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post

At least if you are seen with those, they will know that you are all about the sound lol! Nice work Cash!

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

 

The EFi is like the Snuggie of the headphone world.

 

No one would be caught dead with one in public, but in the privacy of your own home, it's basically the best thing ever.

post #86 of 319
Btw, those uptowns pads are quite comfy. I bet that rig feels good!
post #87 of 319

Heya,


I am on the hunt for new phones, and I would just like to know whether these would be a good starting point?
Whether they can satisfy my needs for alround music listening?

Thanks,

post #88 of 319
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death3man View Post

Heya,


I am on the hunt for new phones, and I would just like to know whether these would be a good starting point?
Whether they can satisfy my needs for alround music listening?

Thanks,

Well, they satisfy my needs for all-around music listening, so I would hope they'd do the same for you!

Still, they do work best in a home environment, as opposed to in public, due to their semi-open design (there's a grille on the back of the earcup that makese them leak sound, but helps the instruments sound farther apart from each other [more of a 3D effect.])

post #89 of 319

Add me to the list of people who expect a efi soon (month or so), i hope it is a upgrade to my superlux 668b.


Edited by ShiftySound - 2/21/13 at 2:28am
post #90 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftySound View Post

Add me to the list of people who expect a efi soon (month or so).

 

Me too!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Somic EFi-82 MT: Believe the Hype