Somic EFi-82 MT: Believe the Hype
Apr 15, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #318 of 331
hey I bought SOMIC EFI 82, first impressions very good, amazing scene and separation, I have not heard anything like it, and I listen to far just a laptop, pads for replacement.
I think they are better than the HI 2050 Takstar, the individual strands are more varied, deeper scene,
thank you for your help in the purchase,

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #320 of 331
  Hello,

Witch is better? EFI-82 MT or MM163? I cannot decide...

My favourite chinese vendor (fasttech) just got both in stock today. I went with the MM163 mostly for the detachable cable and slightly less garish colour scheme. the reviews of the MM163 are good too, likened somewhat to the m50 from AT. I am tempted to grab both though after seeing this thread.

How many pairs of headphones is too many?

Jan 20, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #321 of 331
  Hello,

Witch is better? EFI-82 MT or MM163? I cannot decide...

EFI82MT has been replaced by the MM185.  According to the Sonic product introduction the bass response is a bit improved on the 185. And they made it look a bit more tidy. 
I also think they stopped production of MM163 as it's no longer on the official Somic tmall shop. (Last november they still had it and it was discounted well before nov 11, China's "black friday").

I have both MM163 and MM185. 

The similarities:
  1. The headband is the same. That's about it :) 
  2. Both have a wide soundstage.

The differences:
  1. 163 is a bit creaky , 185 looks and feels more solid.
  2. 163 earpad has a circular opening. 185 has a thicker earpad with an oval opening. 
  3. 163 has a detachable coiled cable, 185 a flat non-detachable cable. 
  4. Frequency response of 163: starts at ~45hz and has significant dips at 3300 4700 and 7000. 
  5. Frequency response of 185 starts at ~27hz and remains pretty flat.
  6. The 163 sounds more tinny and veiled. 185 has a neutral sound and tight sub bass, on the other hand highs sound more harsh.

So overall the 185 seems a newer generation product from a company that's improving it's product line (The recently introduced Somic M series smartphone gear also looks great). But the real killer is, the 163 was always more expensive than the 185.

I paid just $27 (169CNY) for the 185 at the Nov11 sale on Taobao. I really couldn't be happier. The 163 set me back $36. (229CNY) 2 weeks before that.

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #322 of 331

EFI82MT has been replaced by the MM185.  According to the Sonic product introduction the bass response is a bit improved on the 185. And they made it look a bit more tidy. 
I also think they stopped production of MM163 as it's no longer on the official Somic tmall shop. (Last november they still had it and it was discounted well before nov 11, China's "black friday").

I have both MM163 and MM185. 

The similarities:
  1. The headband is the same. That's about it :) 
  2. Both have a wide soundstage.

The differences:
  1. 163 is a bit creaky , 185 looks and feels more solid.
  2. 163 earpad has a circular opening. 185 has a thicker earpad with an oval opening. 
  3. 163 has a detachable coiled cable, 185 a flat non-detachable cable. 
  4. Frequency response of 163: starts at ~45hz and has significant dips at 3300 4700 and 7000. 
  5. Frequency response of 185 starts at ~27hz and remains pretty flat.
  6. The 163 sounds more tinny and veiled. 185 has a neutral sound and tight sub bass, on the other hand highs sound more harsh.

So overall the 185 seems a newer generation product from a company that's improving it's product line (The recently introduced Somic M series smartphone gear also looks great). But the real killer is, the 163 was always more expensive than the 185.

I paid just $27 (169CNY) for the 185 at the Nov11 sale on Taobao. I really couldn't be happier. The 163 set me back $36. (229CNY) 2 weeks before that.

Where did you get the data about frequency response and dips from? According to datasheet specifications frequency respons for MM163 is 8-30k Hz and for MM185 15-20k Hz.

Feb 15, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #324 of 331

I bought the EFi-82 "Pro" on impulse the night I ripped out my MT's wires. Sad I know but I thought I really was doomed with a dead MT. Anyway I listened to them for a few nights now and let me tell you... if you think you like the Somic EFI-82 MT, you're going to LOVE the Pro version!!! I have never heard of headphones as unique and natural-sounding as these Pros before! I'm not sure if it's the same driver as the MT but these are tuned differently. They don't have the same bass levels as the MT's, but these Pros are more neutral and a lot more analytical. Right out of the box, they're good. But to get them to sound as good as I am saying, the Opefi mod NEED to be done and the pads NEED to be replaced with bigger pads like the Shure 840's because you will want a good seal around your ears. These physically have the same housing and mechanicals of the EFi-82 MT but when I opened these up to perform the Opefi mod, I noticed that the drivers are different. You will be pulling off three fiber filters from each driver and being that it's paper-like, they tore on me. Fortunately, I kept the red/black filter from my MT's and stuck it over the whole face of the drivers. Not using a filter made the sound too ear piercing. With it and the mods done and a good equalizer setting, it feels like I am taken away in a dream every time I put these on. Yes, I equalize my music and it makes a difference. Anyway, songs that I thought sounded good before now just got more exciting yet more pleasant. In my opinion, these are notches better in sound quality than both my modded Opefi MT and Takstar Pro80. If you were curious about the Pros before but never took the plunge, do yourself a favor and get yourself the Pro version... and then mod it!

Even though I love them, it still has it's short falls: 1) the coiled cable makes the headphones feel heavy. 2) the ear cups rotate very loosely if you Opefi them--much more than my MT 'phones but yours may differ. 3) you will want to amp these if listening with an underpowered music source.

Anyone else have an opinion on the MT vs. Pro?  I also can't tell from the above how good the Pro sounds compared to the MT if neither has the Opefi mod done.  They won't be amped -- desktop motherboard power only.

At first I was thinking of getting FA-003 over the MT since MT would apparently be close to the Takstar Pro 80, but if the EFI-82 Pro is more natural, it would be more similar to the FA-003 and thus a harder choice.

Apr 27, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #325 of 331
Anyone with a real pic of the MM185? Can you post a picture of them on their "most compact form" ?
I need a closed headphone to keep on my bag, my Pro 80 are just too big and they don't fold, so they're a no.
The MM185 looks interesting, and the earpads looks very comfortable too!

And can someone comment more about the sound?
Thanks!

Well I found some pictures, they get really compact, nice!
Although...is this part made of plastic?!

DSC05698s.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back