Something we should do to reclaim Head-Fi from the Heathens.
Aug 29, 2010 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Scott_Tarlow

1000+ Head-Fier

[size=10.0pt]Friends, audiophiles, music lovers, and lost internet nomads I am here before you today to inform you of a crisis that threatens to shake and destroy the foundation that Head-Fi stands on. Head-Fi should be a place of sanctuary for any lost internet wander that needs advice to better improve their life sonically, where a man can dip his cup into the stream of information and see it filled with clean untainted water. And here at Head-Fi, that stream is more like a river, but as the banks widen, so does the chance for impurity.[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]For those of you who have been here for longer than me, I applaud you for working hard to keep this community strong, but It seems to me that there is a void on censorship and leadership on these forums. Any good audiophile or music lover would not suggest someone spend one dollar of thier hard earned money on a piece of equipment or CD that they have not heard themselves, except the case is that not everyone on head-fi is a great music lover or audiophile. There are newbies, and internet spiders who try to convince other newbies and internet spiders that they are in fact sonic prophets who know the sound a brand without hearing them! As senior or intermediate members of the community, do we not have the right, ney, the responsibility to combat these heathens? This void in leadership must be filled by those of us who are mature, who have heard the sound from around the corner. Even when a Bose, or Dr. Dre thread is violently attacked by said heathens, and even when we who have heard their sound do not think that they provide sonic fecundity, we should furiously defend their right to be only judged by those who have experienced them first hand. [/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]So what do I suggest? If you find someone of suspect, please quote them, and politely remind them that you cannot give a good recommendation without experiencing said recommendation. If they respond that they have heard it, then apologize for your error.[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]Thank you and God bless Head-Fi.[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]-Scott [/size]

[size=10.0pt][/size]

Aug 29, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #2 of 26

Quote:

[size=10pt][/size]
[size=10pt] Any good audiophile or music lover would not suggest someone spend one dollar of thier hard earned money on a piece of equipment or CD that they have not heard themselves, except the case is that not everyone on head-fi is a great music lover or audiophile. [/size]
[size=10pt][/size]

Terrible assumption. I would echo the recomendations of those in this forum I "trust". I would not claim to have heard anything I have not. "Just be Honest" is the only guideline this forum needs in that regard.

Aug 29, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #4 of 26

Quote:
Terrible assumption. I would echo the recomendations of those in this forum I "trust". I would not claim to have heard anything I have not. "Just be Honest" is the only guideline this forum needs in that regard.

I guess if there is no other information that is fine, but at head-fi there are a plethora of people to give advice who have first hand experience, why risk it? why not just suggest he read the review in which you got the information from? The best information comes closest to the source, that is an audiophile number 1. Double amping often degrades the signal. 
Quote:
You are 3 years late to the party. 

I know, but we all need reminders.

Aug 29, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #6 of 26

Quote:

lol

I agree with NG tho, reading the OP, it sounds like he just got the keys to the internet or something and is surprised by its natural state of choas.

The only thing that shocks me is your attitude.

Aug 29, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #7 of 26
 Quote:
 It seems to me that there is a void on censorship and leadership on these forums

And is this such a bad thing? Do you really want posts deleted just because someone expresses an opinion or gives misguided advice? As for leadership, we have Jude and that's enough. There are already posting guidelines. People giving advice on gear they haven't heard has always been an issue on Head-Fi, and while I understand your concern, deleting posts or calling people out for it will only cause more issues and resentment. 

Aug 29, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #8 of 26

Quote:
 Quote:

And is this such a bad thing? Do you really want posts deleted just because someone expresses an opinion or gives misguided advice? As for leadership, we have Jude and that's enough. There are already posting guidelines. People giving advice on gear they haven't heard has always been an issue on Head-Fi, and while I understand your concern, deleting posts or calling people out for it will only cause more issues and resentment. 

First off, it is. Bad information is a bad thing. Look at Wikipedia. No censorship if there were no editors it would suck. Look at Journals, all of them are edited by people who know their stuff. I never said to delete the post, but polietly asking them to give only information they know first hand should not cause a problem for most of us. The mods could not possibly do this, they need help, and Jude is a great leader. Yet he only provides land for us to plow, its on us to decide on how we harvest. I am not saying there is no personal responsibility in this, that a person doesn't have to sift through the threads to see what information will be useful, but they are crazy. A new headphone, that only exists in name, is damned by original sin. Its to the point, I believe, that most of the information on head-fi is not credible.

Aug 29, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #9 of 26
I agree that a lot of uninformed people are making recommendations based on things they know nothing about.  But I wouldn't ban people or delete posts.

If you see people making uninformed recommendations, call them out.  Post a reply and tell them that they don't know what they're talking about.

Aug 29, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #10 of 26
Exactly what I was suggesting, and the problem is not only are uninformed people making the posts, but informed people aren't calling them out!

Aug 29, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #11 of 26
Deleting Posts? That was never suggested by the OP, it was first brought into the discussion by a respondent in post #7 and then echoed again in post #9 in a way that implied it had been suggested as a way to control misinformation. This is an example of how threads get out of control and cause the OP's idea/concern to be clouded or lost completely. OK, I'll get off my soap box now.

Aug 29, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #12 of 26
I suggest tar and feathers! 
wink_face.gif

Aug 29, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #13 of 26
People on the internet like to be right. They also want to convince themselves that their product is the best, because otherwise they wasted money. Hence all the pushing and uninformed comments.

Been listening to the same rig for 2 years now and the music just keeps getting better.

Aug 29, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #14 of 26

Quote:
 Deleting Posts? That was never suggested by the OP

No, but the OP did say "there is a void on censorship". I'm not sure how you would censor someone other than by deleting part or all of their post. I'd be happy to hear from the OP on exactly what he meant by this. 

Aug 30, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #15 of 26
^ Yes I can see how that could be interpreted as deleting posts. I was thinking more along the line of an on-line chastening or PM. I don't think uninformed or stupid comments are a deletable offense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back