Something similar to SR60i in sound quality?
Aug 27, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

I don't know if that holds true for all cans.  Maybe for Grados it's just there to piss other people off (like loud exhausts in Harleys). 
wink.gif

well grado sound stage is very odd to me, it sound close up for open headphones but still has the openness to them that most open cans do

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:
well grado sound stage is very odd to me, it sound close up for open headphones but still has the openness to them that most open cans do

Oh I'm already convinced that I need to pick one up just to know what the Grado guys are on about.  I was just funnin' around.

Aug 28, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:
I would pick up at least the sr 80s

Think that would do the trick?  obobs specifically specified the SR-225 as a singular example.

Aug 28, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #21 of 27
Hmm, conflicted all of a sudden.  Would like to save some money, but also want to get an accurate impression of the Grado house sound. 
blink.gif
  What do you think obobs?

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #22 of 27
I thought sound stage was the main benefit provided by open-back as like a rule of thumb? If Grados are as 'direct' as you say, would you argue that the HD380s and DT770s are an improvement in that regard?
Thanks for helping a noob.

Edit: People say you can use the DT700s without an amp at 80ohms? Is this realistic?

Open *generally* is bigger soundstaging (but the main benefit of open is a control of resonance and backwave; that's technical though), but we aren't talking about general headphones, we're talking about Grados. :p

I think the HD 380 would have a bigger stage, yes, simply because of the angled drivers. It will be more "in front" than "beside" (at least compared to the SR series, the RS/GS do 3D pretty well, but for the money, there are better options if soundstaging is all you care about).

Depends on what your "ampless" device is for driving the 770s. Impedance is not a rating of "ease of driving" - it's one of a few variables that have to be considered when looking at output specs.

I don't know if that holds true for all cans.  Maybe for Grados it's just there to piss other people off (like loud exhausts in Harleys).  :wink:

Closing them makes them sound horrible. Because the backwave and resonance and all that. So they certainly are open, but because of how they sit on your ears and so on, they have a much more direct sound than something like the MDR-F1 or K701.

Hmm, conflicted all of a sudden.  Would like to save some money, but also want to get an accurate impression of the Grado house sound.  :blink:   What do you think obobs?

The SR-60 or SR-80 would get you a taste of the sound, I suggested the 225 because they come with bowl pads and are a legitimate contender for the best mid-range headphone out there. If the 125 still had bowls I would've suggested those (despite having not heard them), because I think bowls are how Grados should be heard. You could buy the SR-60 or SR-80 and throw bowls on them, sure, and I've heard those too - it isn't quite the same as the 225, but it's closer. So that might be worth consideration. IIRC the pads are like $20 though, so with the SR-125 at $150, you're basically all the way to the 225, and I figured, why not just get the 225?

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:
The SR-60 or SR-80 would get you a taste of the sound, I suggested the 225 because they come with bowl pads and are a legitimate contender for the best mid-range headphone out there. If the 125 still had bowls I would've suggested those (despite having not heard them), because I think bowls are how Grados should be heard. You could buy the SR-60 or SR-80 and throw bowls on them, sure, and I've heard those too - it isn't quite the same as the 225, but it's closer. So that might be worth consideration. IIRC the pads are like $20 though, so with the SR-125 at $150, you're basically all the way to the 225, and I figured, why not just get the 225?

Ahh I see, I knew there was a good reason.  Thanks guys!

Aug 30, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:
Open *generally* is bigger soundstaging (but the main benefit of open is a control of resonance and backwave; that's technical though), but we aren't talking about general headphones, we're talking about Grados.
tongue.gif

I think the HD 380 would have a bigger stage, yes, simply because of the angled drivers. It will be more "in front" than "beside" (at least compared to the SR series, the RS/GS do 3D pretty well, but for the money, there are better options if soundstaging is all you care about).
Depends on what your "ampless" device is for driving the 770s. Impedance is not a rating of "ease of driving" - it's one of a few variables that have to be considered when looking at output specs.

OK so my sources are mainly creative T20s from my PC, and a 5.1 surround amp from my TV. They drive my SR60s acceptably but I'm concerned they wouldn't fair so well with DT770s, which is pointing me in the direction of the HD 380s, even though I'd assume the DT700s were better and look more comfy 
beyersmile.png
?

Aug 30, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #25 of 27
OK so my sources are mainly creative T20s from my PC, and a 5.1 surround amp from my TV. They drive my SR60s acceptably but I'm concerned they wouldn't fair so well with DT770s, which is pointing me in the direction of the HD 380s, even though I'd assume the DT700s were better and look more comfy :beyersmile: ?

I *despise* Beyers, so I'll let someone else compare them in a less blatantly biased way.

Regarding the drive question - I'm assuming you mean an AV receiver? Should be no problem either way - including from the speakers. They're super sensitive and should drive fine.

Aug 31, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:
I *despise* Beyers, so I'll let someone else compare them in a less blatantly biased way.
Regarding the drive question - I'm assuming you mean an AV receiver? Should be no problem either way - including from the speakers. They're super sensitive and should drive fine.

Awesome thank you very much!

Anyone like Beyers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back