Something Old...Something Beautiful...Something Good
Mar 8, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #46 of 63
Thank you for the invite, Se. A micro meet sounds like a good idea. I have some nice gear on hand here as well. I would put my modded Technics SL1200MkII up against almost any of the popular "audiophile" turntables
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #47 of 63
I've got a toaster MPX3 SLAM
rs1smile.gif

PICTURE (click to enlarge):

BTW,
Don't mind the finger print type marks on the amp, I didn't do that. I got it used at a price I could not let pass by.

Mar 8, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #48 of 63
Nice toaster, 003. The fingerprints should be easy to remove. After all, the amp is made of stainless steel. I understand that the piano black SinglePower amps collect prints, too. Thus, I plan on handling my PPX3 with gloves. Overall, with less rubbing and cleaning, the piano black finish should remain in better condition.

Se: I, too, have the HD580. I just got a pair recently...have not heard them since I had an op-amp design amp many years ago (probably 1997). Thus, I am ready to give the 580 a more equitable listen. I see your 580s are modded. What type of mods do they include?

Mar 8, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #49 of 63
I got a great tip from a member in this forum to try this particular mod. Originally, I was experimenting by covering the silk screen with blu-tack, but that tend to mute the treble and increase the bass. This mod seems to be perfect. It's not pretty but it works. I will make it neater later once I get over the joy factor of just listening to my music
lambda.gif

It's a simple mod. I removed the foams from ear chambers then use that as dampening agent in the driver chambers. Line blue-tack along the flat surface in the driver camber to further isolate vibration only to the drivers. This essentially isolates all energy to the drivers as much as possible. The net result is increase in bass extension and still keeping the beautiful clear mids and controlling the treble sibilance at times (for me). I like the modded 580 becuase it seems to have all the goodness of HD650 (which I had 2x in the past) but without the "veil" (for me).

img1230xl9.jpg

img1229li9.jpg

img1228fk2.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtortorella /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Se: I, too, have the HD580. I just got a pair recently...have not heard them since I had an op-amp design amp many years ago (probably 1997). Thus, I am ready to give the 580 a more equitable listen. I see your 580s are modded. What type of mods do they include?

Mar 9, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #50 of 63
I got my "other" dream amp recently...the Singlepower "Toaster" MPX3 with SLAM adapter. It sounds wonderful in every way I imagined to be. Here are some "family" pictures
biggrin.gif

Oh!...The toaster is the direct lineage of both MicroZOTL and Singlepower Toaster MPX3
biggrin.gif

7e4e9572ad7.jpg

7e4e9581lb6.jpg

Mar 9, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #52 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my "other" dream amp recently...the Singlepower "Toaster" MPX3 with SLAM adapter. It sounds wonderful in every way I imagined to be. Here are some "family" pictures
biggrin.gif

Oh!...The toaster is the direct lineage of both MicroZOTL and Singlepower Toaster MPX3
biggrin.gif

7e4e9581lb6.jpg

wow, nice going Se! i bet that tubed unit in the middle makes toast that's not overly crisp, but rather warm and soft.
tongue.gif

Mar 9, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #53 of 63
That was not Photoshopped. I just put some 6922 tubes on top of the toaster oven
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is one funky photoshopped image..

.. Or the coolest amp casing ever
blink.gif

Mar 9, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #54 of 63
Quote:

That was not Photoshopped. I just put some 6299 tubes on top of the toaster oven
biggrin.gif

I'm laughin' the rest of the day over that one!

Mar 9, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #55 of 63
Se has a lively sense of humor
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #56 of 63
Quote:

That was not Photoshopped. I just put some 6922 tubes on top of the toaster oven
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Upon closer inspection I'm noticing the very visible tube legs
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Mar 10, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #57 of 63
Very nice!! :)

Quote:

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

7e4e9572ad7.jpg

7e4e9581lb6.jpg

Mar 11, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #58 of 63
Hi Se: Has your SinglePower arrived yet?

...or are you still trying to use the toaster oven as an amp
smily_headphones1.gif

I am still waiting on my PPX3 to arrive. It has shipped, though.

Mar 11, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #59 of 63
Glen, the one you see in the picture (the silver looking thing) is an older version of Singlepower MPX3 "toaster"
biggrin.gif
I had it since Thursday, last week. Inside design and SQ did not change much compare to newer version....except for the price
biggrin.gif
I actually wanted the silver "toaster" model for a long time. It sounds divine.

I hope you will get your amp soon. We should plan for a local micro meet in the near future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtortorella /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Se: Has your SinglePower arrived yet?

...or are you still trying to use the toaster oven as an amp
smily_headphones1.gif

I am still waiting on my PPX3 to arrive. It has shipped, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back