Something Old...Something Beautiful...Something Good
Feb 27, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #31 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice, tyrion!

Did you nab that one off audiogon? I saw that right when it came up, and it was sooo tempting at that price...if I didn't already have my SDS I would've leaped all over it
biggrin.gif

That's the one. This things rocks with the 600s.
600smile.gif
I've come across a few of these in person and I don't think I've seen one that is in as good condition as this one. The last time I had a shot at one, Hirsch snipped me in the auction. He claims he didn't know it was me bidding, I wonder....
icon10.gif

Feb 28, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #32 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is my Wheatfield HA-2 that arrived today. It brings back fond memories of my Eddie Current HD300.

pics003.jpg

Ooh, that's a beauty Mike! Nice work. Bring it to the int'l and have Pete Millet sign it!

Feb 28, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #33 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ooh, that's a beauty Mike! Nice work. Bring it to the int'l and have Pete Millet sign it!

My hope originally was to bring my self and a change of clothes to the Int'l meet. We will see if it the HA-2 is still around by then. As it is I haven't been able to part with either the First Watt F1 or the Sig 30.

Feb 28, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #34 of 63
This is a great thread! Although these pics are already in my own thread about this amp, I thought they would fit in here nicely.

So, behold the Moth Audio 300B Paradigm!

Moth_300B_001.jpg

Moth_300B_002.jpg

Moth_300B_019.jpg

Moth_300B_007.jpg

Label31.jpg

BoxLabel.jpg

Feb 28, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #35 of 63
Wow...I would love to hear that one day. Please post your impression.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is my Wheatfield HA-2 that arrived today. It brings back fond memories of my Eddie Current HD300.

pics003.jpg

Feb 28, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #36 of 63
Here is another Moth, now owned by Goosepond:

Mothsi2A3.jpg

Al, that amp is sweet. I am looking forward to trying it out with my K1000s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow...I would love to hear that one day. Please post your impression.

It might be at the National, buy your ticket. I will post some impressions at some point.

Feb 28, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #37 of 63
Those are wonderful pictures! The last picture look like my computer desktop that I had for about 3 years
biggrin.gif
I know...it's a wrong bug
tongue.gif

48785561iy6.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif

BoxLabel.jpg

Mar 7, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #38 of 63
Well, I should have my SinglePower PPX3-6CG7 by Friday or Saturday. Does this unit qualify as being "old"? I imagine it does, as this amp seems to be overshadowed by its bigger brothers, the SLAM and Extreme. I prefer a 6CG7 design, and thus I opted for the "Plain Jane" PPX3. I also seem to have developed a soft spot for the little guy. I imagine it will be very satisfying in its own rite...
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #39 of 63
Hi Glen...that's great!! I am also receiving my "toaster" MPX3 (with SLAM adapters) tomorrow or Friday
biggrin.gif
I ordered from Mikhail 2C51 adapter / 6Bl7GTA tubes as well.

MPX3b-Front1.JPG

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtortorella /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I should have my SinglePower PPX3-6CG7 by Friday or Saturday. Does this unit qualify as being "old"? I imagine it does, as this amp seems to be overshadowed by its bigger brothers, the SLAM and Extreme. I prefer a 6CG7 design, and thus I opted for the "Plain Jane" PPX3. I also seem to have developed a soft spot for the little guy. I imagine it will be very satisfying in its own rite...
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #41 of 63
The old "toaster" units are just splendid. They have a unique appeal. As Earl says, they are "labors of love."

With regard to your initial question, Se, I think many of the older units tend to have nicer designs (both externally and internally) and better quality parts. Think of it: how many true audiophile designs exist today in the sub-$1000 category? Certainly, the Gilmore Lite/DPS and PPX3 variants are part of this category.

Mar 7, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #42 of 63
I agree!!!
biggrin.gif
As I grow older I am appreciating "older" gears more...including NOS tubes. That Toaster MPX3 was acquired on my 41st birthday so it has special sentimental value for me...plus, I always wanted one
biggrin.gif

Quote:

The old "toaster" units are just splendid. They have a unique appeal. As Earl says, they are "labors of love."

With regard to your initial question, Se, I think many of the older units tend to have nicer designs (both externally and internally) and better quality parts. Think of it: how many true audiophile designs exist today in the sub-$1000 category? Certainly the Gilmore Lite/DPS and PPX3 variants are part of this category.

Mar 7, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #43 of 63
I want a toaster Singlepower badly
frown.gif

Mar 8, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #44 of 63
I, too, would like to have a SinglePower toaster, especially one in nice shape. I have no complaints, though, as I imagine I will enjoy my PPX3 very much
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #45 of 63
Glen, you only live few miles away from me. You can come any time to audition my amps
biggrin.gif
Perhaps we can have a local micro meet.

Quote:

I, too, would like to have a SinglePower toaster, especially one in nice shape. I have no complaints, though, as I imagine I will enjoy my PPX3 very much
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back