Earsonics ES3
Aug 25, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #271 of 324
They aren't what I would call traditionally heavily V shaped (see graph on page 18). The graph shows the ES3 vs the Campfire Andromeda. The are actually quite balanced with a sub-bass bump (for a little warmth) and a lower treble bump (for detail esp around cymbal fundamental area). If you've heard Andromeda before, it'll give you an idea how good these are.

Unfortunately I have not heard the Andromeda, but I have consistently heard that it is a wonderful endgame IEM for rock/metal, and I have the opportunity to pick up the ES3 for 425$ right now, which is half of what the last Andromeda went for used... Gah, my wallet is going to hate me...

Aug 25, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #272 of 324
They aren't what I would call traditionally heavily V shaped (see graph on page 18). The graph shows the ES3 vs the Campfire Andromeda. The are actually quite balanced with a sub-bass bump (for a little warmth) and a lower treble bump (for detail esp around cymbal fundamental area). If you've heard Andromeda before, it'll give you an idea how good these are.
Are you equating the performance of the two iems? Would you say ES3 is very close in performance to the Andromeda?

Aug 25, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #273 of 324
I'd have to listen to the two side-by-side again to answer that (and I don't have the Andro - it was a tour loaner). What I'm saying is that the ES3 is more balanced than traditionally V shaped, and not far off the Andro's tonality.

Aug 25, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #274 of 324
Thank you very much for the insight Brooko.

I'm going to try and track one down as I think it's going to make the perfect compliment to my arsenal, and it certainly seems like it makes for a solid all rounder, short of applications that call for extreme bass (and I have that covered with the IE80).

I think its probably going to live and die by its midrange texture for me - any can that I buy that doesn't feel right with electric guitars usually doesn't stay with me long unless its being bought for EDM or hip hop.

Aug 27, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #275 of 324
I'd have to listen to the two side-by-side again to answer that (and I don't have the Andro - it was a tour loaner). What I'm saying is that the ES3 is more balanced than traditionally V shaped, and not far off the Andro's tonality.
Although the graphs may overlap to strong degree, they are two different sounding iems(based on what I hear of them).

I would say that the ES3 sound characteristic is more polite with a more of an mid treble emphasis, but with not much weight in terms of the sound, it sound fairly thin in it's treble presentation, and spacially sound empty due to less presence of mids compared to the Andromeda. Andromeds has more of the mids, and lower treble emphasis, and has more of a body to the sound(is this warmer?). How the sound is filled is quite different as ES3 sounds fairly empty.

What I hear is two different personalities in sound outputs. I find ES3 pretty unnatural sounding, and the only real positive it standouts from some of the lower tier'd iems is the treble reaches further than a lot of them that rolls off earlier, but still, there are iems that has better extension in treble.

Why ES3 sounds polite is due to both having different band where the treble is emphasized(also, it reduces definition as the treble has no variety). Andromeda emphasizes lower treble which causes some shrill in the sound(which is the low point of it's characteristic although it does everything else very well). The shrill is similar to the HD800 6khz boost. So, Andro has a bit of an aggressive(or forward) characteristic due to emphasis in that region.

Looking at the graph, the difference in stage(ES3 sounding emptier) maybe due to upper bass differences.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #276 of 324
Yes they are different, but more similar than different. Less warmth, flatter mid-bass and lower mids, a little thinner or leaner, but (IMO) and only from memory, I like the transition from lower to upper mids a little more on the ES3. YMMV - as this is a colouration - but one I like.

Sep 25, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #277 of 324
Trying out this gorgeous pairing...

7ADF9FFE-CF3A-44DB-9230-FE056315BE9D.jpeg

Sep 25, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #278 of 324
Hey guys, I'm considering something from Earsonics for my next pair of IEMs. They've released so many IEMs over the last couple of years, and I find their naming system pretty confusing. I've also heard that the sound signature varies heavily from model to model. Which is considered the most detailed and extended model? Thanks for the help :)

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #279 of 324
Hey guys, I'm considering something from Earsonics for my next pair of IEMs. They've released so many IEMs over the last couple of years, and I find their naming system pretty confusing. I've also heard that the sound signature varies heavily from model to model. Which is considered the most detailed and extended model? Thanks for the help :)

Do you have a budget in mind? That can further narrow your search.

Oct 12, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #281 of 324
What is happening with the price increase of the es3 and es2 from 400 dollars to 599, has anyone else seen the influx with price ?

Oct 12, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #282 of 324
What is happening with the price increase of the es3 and es2 from 400 dollars to 599, has anyone else seen the influx with price ?

Hmm, prices on Earsonics site are the same as they have been, but does look like US Distributor Musictek is charging significantly more for ES3. ES9 looks roughly in line with euro conversion rate though, weird.

Nov 30, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #283 of 324
Got very excited for my ES3s to arrive after reading through this thread properly!

Just wondering if people still have such strong opinions on how good these are now the Etymotic ER 4XRs have been released?

Dec 14, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #285 of 324
So my ES3's arrived and I've been absolutely blown away by them!

Can anyone recommend an upgrade cables + tips please?

I've seen people discuss cables in the thread but there doesn't seem to be any links or identifiers of the cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back