Something like the HD580's but a wee bit less laid back?
Jan 15, 2008 at 6:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

fraseyboy

Headphoneus Supremus
I like my HD580's, I really do. It's just... At times I feel that they could be a bit less laid back and more in your face. They're too polite. I want something that is more rebellious.

BUT I don't want a Grado. The bright treble just isn't for me. Something that has the smooth natural sound of Sennheisers but less laid back would be perfect (I still want soundstage though). Better mids would also be quite good... Something is wrong with the mids on the HD580s.

So any suggestions? Under $150 preferable.

Jan 15, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #2 of 23
I'm in the exact same situation as you. My HD580s are ok, but they are too laidback/warm for me. I was thinking about the Denon D2000 even though they are closed rather than open, since I've read that they are pretty "forward" sounding.

Jan 15, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by noblsheep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how bout another amp?

I am planning buy the Little Dot Mk II. New cans is kinda a long term goal... Would the Mk II make it any less laid back?

Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
k601, d2000

I am fairly partial to a spot of bass and I heard that the K601's don't have much bass impact... And the D2000's are over budget.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzydice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dt880.

I've always been fascinated by Beyers... They look oh so comfortable..

Jan 15, 2008 at 9:33 AM Post #7 of 23
If you can't buy the D2000, how about the D1000 then? Even more comfy than a beyer!

I have a Darth beyer and I have tried the D1000, the D1000 is definitely more comfy, but does not fit snugly, so if you move around a lot (head banging), that might be a problem.
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2008 at 11:36 AM Post #8 of 23
i have to say again:

DT880 would be a great great choice!

if you can, try some at a store! i bet you'll love them!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am planning buy the Little Dot Mk II. New cans is kinda a long term goal... Would the Mk II make it any less laid back?

I am fairly partial to a spot of bass and I heard that the K601's don't have much bass impact... And the D2000's are over budget.

I've always been fascinated by Beyers... They look oh so comfortable..

I'm fairly certain the K601 kicks the HD580's arse in bass quantity. I know from experience since I used to own both
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
more bass, slightly less bright but more treble detail I would say.

And hows the soundstage? Is it more Grado like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back