Something in between the SRH440 and M50?
Mar 24, 2013 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

slvrpanther

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm relatively new to headphones.
Currently, I listen mostly to pops/countries (songs with lots of vocals), and movie soundtracks.

I’ve been using the Panasonic earphone HJE450 (~ $25) for years now and it’s the best one I’ve had so far. Great sound for cheap price. Much better than the one that came with the iPod. The sound is very crisp and clear. It also has a decent amount of bass.

Below are some of the headphones I’ve tried out on my quest to search for a perfect headphone.

Bose IE3:
I got this earphone for $100 and was sorely disappointed. The bass just totally drowned out the vocals.

Bose AE2:
It sounded really good when I demoed it at Best Buy, but when I brought it home and compare it to my Panasonic HJE450, it wasn’t as good as I thought. The sound was warmer but the bass wasn’t that good. Pretty muddy actually. Tried it with “Inception - Mind Heist” and could barely stand the muddiness.

Klipse Image One:
Good strong bass and great for listening to songs with a lot of bass. But the bass is way too strong for pop songs.

Sony MDR-V6:
The bass was strong and good, and it doesn’t drown out the mid. Tried it with “Pink – Just Give Me a Reason” and it was so much better than my Panasonic earphone. The tight and strong lows and mids made the song sound much more fuller. But after an hour or so of listening, I started yawning like crazy. The music started sounding hard and uninteresting. It’s like I’m just testing songs instead of listening to music. Don’t know if it was the strong bass and tight sound that made me yawn and made the songs just plain boring to listen to.

Shure SRH440:
Just got this one yesterday and have been listening to it for about 10 hours now. Very clear sound. Great sounding vocals. “Martina McBride – Concrete Angels” was perfect with this headphone. Just wish it has a bit more bass.

AT M50:
Tried this one out today at Guitar City on my Nexus 4 phone. It has a warmer, smoother,  and more laid back sound than the SRH440. The songs sound more musical and easy to listen to. The bass was pretty good. But on some songs, the bass sounded a little muddy and bled into the mid. “Concrete Angels” didn’t sound as good. The lows kind of drowned out the mids.  

Is there something that’s similar to SRH440 that’s clear, but with a little more bass that makes the mid warmer and more colorful, but doesn't drown it out. Something in between SRH400 and M50. Would burning it in for 100 hour or so make it better? Some people said that burning it in would improve the bass. Some said the bass is too much, and that burning it in would make it tighter and less. It’s like burning it in would somehow make magic happen.  I’m also thinking about replacing my SRH440 earpads with the ones for SRH840. Would it affect the sound quality?

By the way, even with the SRH440, my cheap Panasoic earphone still sounds really good. It sounds a little more lively due to the higher treble. I might even say that the bass is little more pronounced at times and actually sounds quite good.

Mar 24, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
Hi, I'm relatively new to headphones.
Currently, I listen mostly to pops/countries (songs with lots of vocals), and movie soundtracks.

I’ve been using the Panasonic earphone HJE450 (~ $25) for years now and it’s the best one I’ve had so far. Great sound for cheap price. Much better than the one that came with the iPod. The sound is very crisp and clear. It also has a decent amount of bass.

Below are some of the headphones I’ve tried out on my quest to search for a perfect headphone.

Bose IE3:
I got this earphone for $100 and was sorely disappointed. The bass just totally drowned out the vocals.

Shure SRH440:
Just got this one yesterday and have been listening to it for about 10 hours now. Very clear sound. Great sounding vocals. “Martina McBride – Concrete Angels” was perfect with this headphone. Just wish it has a bit more bass.

AT M50:
Tried this one out today at Guitar City on my Nexus 4 phone. It has a warmer, smoother,  and more laid back sound than the SRH440. The songs sound more musical and easy to listen to. The bass was pretty good. But on some songs, the bass sounded a little muddy and bled into the mid. “Concrete Angels” didn’t sound as good. The lows kind of drowned out the mids.  

Based on those comments I'd suggest either the SRH-840 or Koss Pro DJ 100.
You can get the Tony Bennett version of the DJ100 at Tuesday Morning stores for $50! comes with a detachable cable, free album and case.
The regular DJ100 is $80 in stores or $55 or so on Amazon (it's price varies).

About 3 years ago I loved the SRH-840 but side-graded to the M50. Didn't love the bass so I found out about the DJ100 an have listening to that ever since.

You can demo it at any Best Buy in the pro audio department. It's way in the back.

Mar 24, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks. I was thinking about the SRH840 also, but don't know if it's worth the price.

@tdockweiler
The price difference between the SRH840 ($200) and Koss Pro DJ 100 ($50) is pretty big. How's the sound quality between the two?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back