Something (closed) that sounds like the B&W P5 but better - possible ?
Jan 1, 2011 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

DigitalFury

New Head-Fier

I have tried several (a lot!) of headphones over the years, and I'm currently using a pair of B&W P5...because I can't find anything else better. I have used for a long time HD 600, AKG K 701 and Grado RS1, and liked them, but they are open and were too noisy (apartment setting + family).

Then tried the following with a Cobra D10 or Yaquin MS-500B:

1. ATH-W1000 -> muffled and lifeless + hated how they felt on my head (they kept falling off)
2. Ultrasone Edition 8 -> too thin and artificial, but great if you only listen to Johnny Cash or classical, did not enjoy listening to music with these (e.g. snares sound like crap and gutless and cymbals like insects).

I have tried several in-ear pair from WestOne and Etymotic. While they sounded quite good (even exceptional in some cases), I can't stand having these shoved in my ears.

I don't know what makes them sound so good (the P5s), but for those who know, is there something out there (closed design) that would be better?

Jan 1, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #2 of 2
I still have the Ultrasone Edition 8 pair, is there a way to make them sound better ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back